walking through doors

steveng5981

Doesn't really cause that much "issues" with performance or otherwise, it's just a humongous, gigantic, enormous s**tload of work that is more boring that you can possibly imagine. Still, some people like doing boring stuff.

0. Wait for CK

1. Edit the meshes for houses and add a large box behind the door where the NPC's can walk in

2. Move the "real" door inside the box

3. Put a fake door in place of the real door and script it to activate the real door when player activates it and open when an NPC approaches/activates it.

4.Add a trigger box inside the box that opens and closes the fake door as NPC's enter and exit, link it to the fake door and make them talk for optimal effect.

5. Repeat over 9000 times

1.) The amount of memory that would be involved in having all the content available for users to interact with all the time would not be possible. Its just too much content for your computer to store, maintain.

Which is one of the reasons why they split the game up into 'cells' that contain areas of the map. Because even though the game itself may only be a couple GBs on your hard-drive, the content when extracted and loaded into ram is about 2.5X that or more.

2.) BETH actually already insures that the game has multiple cells preloaded into memory at any given time, so that there will be less/no loading when traveling between nearby cells. The setting for this is held in the main '.ini' file. which you can modify to virtually eliminate the cap on how many can be loaded at the same time. However your OS limits how much space in memory the game can occupy at any given time. This is done so you don't crash the OS, and to allow room for other operations, applications and services to start, ect...

So even if someone was able to merge everything into the primary world - aka the exterior cells - which I highly doubt can be done, as somethings such as buildings are smaller then their interiors, the game would be unplayable because it still would be limited by the OS.

The problem that you have is that when you are traveling from an exterior cell to an interior cell you get the annoying loading screen. This could be solved by someone doing a major overhaul of the game engine to have it to better predict which interior cells you are going to enter, and loading the cells so the user could walk freely between them as if they were physically connected, but that would require BETH to release the games source code, which they are not going to do, ever...

I've been wanting them to do this for years, its getting closer, portal has really given me hope that someday it will be a industry standard. Not that its done in portal either. :wallbash: companies are just to cheap to invest the time and money to do it.

1.) The amount of memory that would be involved in having all the content available for users to interact with all the time would not be possible. Its just too much content for your computer to store, maintain.

I'm pretty sure the topic creator just wants them to walk through the door, it's not like he's saying to get rid of the loading for buildings.

This seems like it would be pretty easy to create when the Creation Kit and possibly SRSE gets released.

You just have to edit the portal to go back behind the door, keep the door mechanics and change the NPC's orders to make him walk forward after opening the door.

As for the portal, it could be the ones like caves where you go through by walking not pressing the E key.

If I'm wrong please correct me lol.

Edited by GeminiContractor

i dont really know how to mod or anything but sounds right what you say Gemini i dont want to get rid of loading screens and stuff like that i can see could be hard to do.

id just like to see the effect of the people walking into there buildings like they do in the Witcher 2 rather than vanishing at the front door like they do in skyrim.

suppose just have to wait for the creation kit to see what can be done :)

Edited by steveng5981