Make wolves and other animals less stupid. Also, make wolf packs stalk

volnaiskra

Wolves are intelligent. They don't just suicidally charge at everything they see. They only attack if threatened or hungry, and even then, they scope things out, they hide in the shadows, and stalk their target while they plot their attack.

There is a FNV mod called "realistic wildlife" that does a great job of making animals more unpredictable (and hence more realistic): they usually only attack if provoked or if you get too close, they won't attack if they know they have no chance, they'll sometimes threaten you but calm down if you back away....all with variations based on species, and some randomisation thrown in.

A mod like that would be great for skyrim. Many animals already seem to have a less psychotic nature (eg. mammoths, bears, and foxes), though some, like wolves, just seem to attack for no reason every time, and it gets boring.

Speaking of wolves, how awesome would it be if from time to time, a small pack of wolves decided to stalk you, for hours or even days (and eventually attacking you and/or giving up). And everywhere you went, there was the same pack of wolves following you in the near distance. Talk about unnerving! How awesome would that be?!

I have had trouble with a few of the wolves, sometimes i've come across pit wolves in cages. I use the shout that calms them, unlock the cage and let them free (great way for extra training in lockpicking) a few times they have followed me around like dogs, even after the shout has worn off. My horse comes over and kills them.

• 2 weeks later...

No animal except wolves attacks you if you stay on a distance.

I'm pretty sure sabre cats attack the moment they see you, as do chauruses. And probably some other creatures that are perhaps not strictly speaking animals, but fulfil pretty much the same role, such as spriggans.

But there's another problem for those that do not immediately attack: Unless I'm mistaken, there seems to be a very simple binary behaviour to them: they're peaceful until you set off an invisible 'trigger' by getting within x metres of them, after which they instantly switch from "completely pacifist" to "will chase you to the ends of the earth and fight you to the death". Some more complexity and/or variety there would be nice. For example:

-an animal that gives you a 'warning' attack: swipes you in the face once, and if you get the message and back off, it will leave you alone.

-an animal that tries to scare you with a somewhat empty threat: runs three steps towards you aggressively, but refrains from actually attacking you, unless you keep loitering for a very long time

-if it's losing a fight will run away (and not just when its health is at 5% and it's almost dead, but earlier, when it realises that its health is at 60% but yours is still 95%, and that a change of plan is desirable)

-a normally peaceful animal such as a caribou that eventually attacks you if you're not respecting its personal space/territory.

Also, while I'm at it, there's another problem that I'd love to see modded out: there are far too many solitary animals around. Ok, so there are obviously engine limitations preventing us being able to have 60-strong herds of mammoths or caribou (and after seeing how much trouble Bethesda's engine has with keeping one mammoth on the ground, I shudder at the thought of 60 mammoths all colliding and falling from the sky at once), but seeing at least some small family units (5-10 individuals, including children) travel together would be cool.......That was already done pretty well in FNV vanilla, so I don't see why it couldn't be done in skyrim,