Script help for a CK Noob

I've done a fair bit of scripting ok in GECK but never done Papyrus before so this is my first script attempt:

I've basically made a copy of the Wedding ring, I have the following script attached to it, the idea being that the wearer slowly regenerates health if they have no Rads, and that they will also regenerate rads slowly too.

But I'm having some really basic problems with the structure and some basic problems, I can't get it to compile.

I'm under the impression OnEquip and OnUnequip are one shot edge triggers, but I could be wrong. So I'm trying to set a bool then use that to check if the Main part should be running.

Scriptname SuperPowerScript extends ObjectReference native

bool bItemWorn ; it doesn't seem to like this, how am I to tell my main part to keep running or am I wrong in assuming OnEquip is an edge trigger?

Event OnEquip()
		bItemWorn = 1
EndEvent

Function MainPart ()
		if (bItemWorn)
		float fPowerLevel
		actor akActor = GetActorOwner() ; I'm trying to set the wearing actor here, I'm doing it wrong
		float fActorRads = akActor.GetActorValue ("Rads")
		float fActorHealth = akActor.GetActorValue ("Health")
		int iCurrRads = fActorRads
		int iPrevRads
		iRadDamage = iPrevRads - iCurrRads

if (fActorRads <= 0)
			if (fActorHealth < 100) ; Assuming 100% = 100)
				fActorHealth = fActorHealth + 1
				akActor.SetValue ("Health", fActorHealth)
				DefaultScriptFunctions.DefaultScriptTrace(self + ":Healing")
			endif
		else
			if (iRadDamage < 1)
				fActorRads = fActorRads - 1
				akActor.SetValue ("Rads", fActorRads)
			endif
		endif
		iPrevRads = iCurrRads
	endif
EndFunction

Event OnUnequip()
		bItemWorn = 0
EndEvent
Compiler Output:

Papyrus Compiler Version 2.8.0.4 for Fallout 4

Copyright © ZeniMax Media. All rights reserved.

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "SuperPowerScript"...

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(3,1): native scripts may not contain data, script variable bItemWorn cannot be defined

No output generated for SuperPowerScript, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Failed on SuperPowerScript

I tries removing native and it says it has to be native, I tried const and get similar issues.

I'm a little confused on whether the main should be a function and if it how to call it every 10 seconds RealTime or 30seconds Gametime

Edited by ozziefire

Ok did that and now get this:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(5,0): new event onequip cannot be defined because the script is not flagged as native

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(12, :cool:: type mismatch while assigning to a actor (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(13,29): GetActorValue is not a function or does not exist

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(13, :cool:: type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(14,31): GetActorValue is not a function or does not exist

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(14, :cool:: type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(15,6): type mismatch while assigning to a int (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(17,2): variable iRadDamage is undefined

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(17,2): type mismatch while assigning to a none (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(22,22): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(23,27): argument showtrace is not specified and has no default value

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(26,7): variable iRadDamage is undefined

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(26,18): cannot compare a none to a int (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(26,18): cannot relatively compare variables to None

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(28,22): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(35,0): new event onunequip cannot be defined because the script is not flagged as native

Any idea what the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc things I ned to do now? :smile: Edited by ozziefire

I know this doesn't necessarily help as Papyrus advice, but if the important part is getting the ring to do what you want then I think you could get the same result with a Magic Effect placed on the ring using the conditions tab in the Creation Kit to change how it functions when the player character isn't irradiated. However if you're doing this to practice Papyrus scripting then I get why you'd want to do it this way though.

I'm a total novice at scripting so take my advice with a pinch of salt but here's some suggestions.

1. According to the payprus information on the OnEquipped event "When an object is equipped it is inside a container, which means that you cannot call native functions on it. (Unless it is a persistent reference)"

2. Shouldn't it be akActor.getvalue rather than akActor.getactorvalue.

3. GetActorOwner is used for getting the base owner, i.e. it's owned by a person belonging to the gunner template rather than this particular individual gunner. You should be using GetActorRefOwner.

4. You're just pulling GetActorOwner out of thin air, it needs to be TheObjectYou'reReferringTo.GetActorOwner. Otherwise the compiler will be wondering "owner of what?".

I'm not sure that's everything, but there's some problems I can spot.

I know this doesn't necessarily help as Papyrus advice, but if the important part is getting the ring to do what you want then I think you could get the same result with a Magic Effect placed on the ring using the conditions tab in the Creation Kit to change how it functions when the player character isn't irradiated. However if you're doing this to practice Papyrus scripting then I get why you'd want to do it this way though.

I'm a total novice at scripting so take my advice with a pinch of salt but here's some suggestions.

1. According to the payprus information on the OnEquipped event "When an object is equipped it is inside a container, which means that you cannot call native functions on it. (Unless it is a persistent reference)"

2. Shouldn't it be akActor.getvalue rather than akActor.getactorvalue.

3. GetActorOwner is used for getting the base owner, i.e. it's owned by a person belonging to the gunner template rather than this particular individual gunner. You should be using GetActorRefOwner.

4. You're just pulling GetActorOwner out of thin air, it needs to be TheObjectYou'reReferringTo.GetActorOwner. Otherwise the compiler will be wondering "owner of what?".

I'm not sure that's everything, but there's some problems I can spot.

Cool, thanks for the advice, yes its a learning experience I have much grander plans later of course and other mods planned, so I thought I'd start with something simple and build on it when it works rather than drop 200 lines of "Why won't this work?" on others :smile:

I'll poke around with it more tomorrow and do some more wiki reading on the functions and see if I can get it compiled and firing.

Good luck. I pretty much need the papyrus reference constantly open while I script and work line by line. Even then I spend just as much time bug-fixing.It's a slow and painstaking process but it works and I'm learning as I go.

It's a good idea to start with something a bit smaller. I'm trying to make a much more complicated script at the moment, so I've been going a bit cross-eyed from staring at the code and references and figuring it all out. I don't usually have the sense to start small I'm afraid.

Ok now I have this, SuperRing is the name of the object the script is attached to, its just a copy of the WeddingRing

Scriptname SuperPowerScript extends ObjectReference

Event OnLoad()
	float fPowerLevel
	actor akActor = SuperRing.GetActorRefOwner()
	float fActorRads = akActor.GetValue ("Rads")
	float fActorHealth = akActor.GetValue ("Health")
	if (akActor.GetEquipped(SuperRing))
		int iPrevRads
		int iRadDamage = iPrevRads - iCurrRads

if (fActorRads <= 0)
			endif
		else
			if (iRadDamage < 1)
			endif
		endif
		iPrevRads = iCurrRads
	endif
EndEvent

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(5,17): variable SuperRing is undefined

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(5,27): none is not a known user-defined script type

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(5,7): type mismatch while assigning to a actor (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(6,38): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(6,7): type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(7,40): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(7,7): type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(8,25): variable SuperRing is undefined

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(8,13): GetEquipped is not a function or does not exist

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(9,6): type mismatch while assigning to a int (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(16,22): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(17,27): argument showtrace is not specified and has no default value

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(22,22): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(8,1): cannot cast a void to a bool to perform a condition check

Edited by ozziefire

Tried this too and failing because I realised OnLoad is also a one shot edge trigger by the looks

Scriptname SuperPowerScript extends ObjectReference
auto state MainBit
	float fPowerLevel
	if (akActor.GetEquipped(SuperRing))
		int iPrevRads

if (fActorRads <= 0)
			endif
		else
			if (iRadDamage < 1)
			endif
		endif
		iPrevRads = iCurrRads
	endif
EndState

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(3,7): missing FUNCTION at 'fPowerLevel'

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(3,18): mismatched input '\\r\\n' expecting LPAREN

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperPowerScript.psc(0,0): error while attempting to read script SuperPowerScript: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Edited by ozziefire

Hi, everyone. I have a question regarding modding and the creation kit and I'm wondering if anyone on here can help me. I've recently created a simple companion mod. He is a synth who is 99% complete. However, there are two issues. One, whenever he is damaged, electricity appears and won't go away. Two, he attacks almost everybody. I've attempted to tweak things here and there to resolve these issues but I haven't been able to yet. Is there anyone here who would have any suggestions? Thanks!

Ok looking through the CK I worked out that only 2 Armor items use scripts directly attached for whatever reason so changed direction to s script in a Magic Effect but still having similar issues :/

Scriptname SuperEffects extends activemagiceffect

Int Property NewProperty Auto Const

Function SomeFunction()
	RegisterForUpdate(1.0) ; Before we can use OnUpdate() we must register.
EndFunction

Event OnUpdate()

float fPowerLevel
	int iPrevRads

if (fActorRads <= 0)
		endif
	else
		if (iRadDamage < 1)
		endif
	endif
	iPrevRads = iCurrRads

EndEvent

Compiling "SuperEffects"...

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(6,1): RegisterForUpdate is not a function or does not exist

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(12,17): variable SuperRing is undefined

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(12,27): none is not a known user-defined script type

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(12,7): type mismatch while assigning to a actor (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(13,38): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(13,7): type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(14,40): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(14,7): type mismatch while assigning to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(15,5): type mismatch while assigning to a int (cast missing or types unrelated)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(22,21): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(23,26): argument showtrace is not specified and has no default value

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(28,21): type mismatch on parameter 1 - cannot pass a string to a actorvalue

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\PapyrusTemp\SuperEffects.psc(9,0): new event onupdate cannot be defined because the script is not flagged as native

No output generated for SuperEffects, compilation failed.

Failed on SuperEffects