Take the stupid out of the A.I.

Harkonian

+1. I wish Skyrim's enemies had chatter that showed they realize the gravity of the situation:

Enemy 1: *takes an arrow to the head*

Enemy 2: "By the gods, he's dead! Everybody! Someones here!" or he/she calls out to you "Well...I owed him money. Thanks. But I won't let you get away alive!"

Or even with people in towns, if I kill a man who is supposed to be a woman NPCs husband, it would be great if she had dialogue that showed she knows her spouse was...just murdered...sigh Bethesda. lol.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Support.

I also want the stupid npcs to stop buying stupid s*** they dont need, or selling things they would need.

If NPC spot me we start fighting and at some point I start healing myself, the npc should just rush me or if he cant rush me, he should just realize Im going to defeat him with cheap tactics of attack/healing. If he does damage and I heal or use potions, the npc should REACT to that, by realizing I WILL DEFEAT HIM IF IT KEEPS LIKE THAT.

So the npc should say something: "Oh no, Im not going to let you heal!" when he sees me healing and rush me. If the npc see Im kitting him with cheap hit and run tactics, he should say something like "Stop healing you bastard!" in the first time, and then if I repeat it, he should go another level as in "Damnit, I cant fight him like this" and should just FLEE OR HIDE.

If he is a bandit and there are other bandit actors not hostile to him in the vicinity, he should SHOUT for help. "We got an intruder!" or something. And then said npc should be set to "defensive" mode untill the other actors are close by, at wich point they start whacking at me. Might even have some voice action for this flag like "You cant escape from us now!" aknowledging that he knows he has atleast another 1 ally and his courage value should be boosted.

NPCs should start looting things from enemies they kill. Commenting on the stuff they looted. Different voice action based/random armor/weapons, gold, food, meat and so on depending if the target is humanoid, monster or animal. Wolfs/Foxes should eat the meat of the animals they hunt.

NPCs should never give their backs to the player once they are aware of it. If they are fighting something else, then the player comes from behind, the NPC should move the opposite of the center between enemy A and enemy B, so that he moves backwards to point C. Atleast if they get attacked from behind they should lose their courage values and be set to defensive.

Main fix for AI. pathfinding.

Im tired of seing enemies such as mammoths going back and forth undecided, trying to find a right path to my destination. This breaks imersion, destroy any sense of difficulty. I keep shooting arrows/spells on them.

Giants should be able to hop on 150-200 units of height rocks. More than the player can reach by jumping!

Animals such as bears, wolfs and sabre cats, should be ABLE TO JUMP DOWN on the edge of rocks above me to reach me, if the height of the rocks is not over 300-350 units. They are being attacked and Im right below them, THE LEAST THEY SHOULD DO IS JUMP ON TOP OF ME WITH ALL THEIR MIGHT.

Also, once AI set up a pathfinding to my location, and I move back to a position that is safe from their current pathfinding. The AI should know that unless they see me moving. Right now they just automatically "know". Also, if I change my location, forcing a different pathfinding, and knowing they cant reach me, THEY HAVE TO BEHAVE REALISTICALLY TO IT.

Not just ignoring me or bumping their heads against the wall. They better start jumping or escalating it if they can, or hiding/fleeing if they start taking injury they cant counter. But definatelly not do that stupid design mmorpgs do, wich is "if npc cant reach/hurt/get to player within x seconds, then npc becomes flagged with invincibility and moves back to spawn point" thats unaceptable.

Edited by ogridum

My enemies regularly try to hide or go behind cover if im damaging them from a position they cannot reach.

Its clunky and they dont always select the best spot but just seeing them trying this was great.

Maybe it needs a bit of enhancement but it is there already.

And i agree that Sabre cats already show some talent for quickly traversing rocks and i agree they should be able to jump down more difficult ones or in cases if im directly below them.

Giants shouldnt jump too high but they could just take a huge step up or down, when needed, i think.

+ support for OP and enhancements to the Ai in general, yes, please.

Huge. But, I also feel that there needs to be more of a distinction between "enemy is aware of your presence" and "enemy knows your location". If I shoot an arrow and miss, yes the enemy (assuming he sees the arrow) should be actively looking for me/calling his friends/going into defensive mode, and NOT giving up after three seconds. That said, if I escape his line of sight and quietly sneak around behind him, I should have the option of performing a sneak attack without having to wait for him to lose his alert status.

I won't quote it cause it's so large, but Post #13 should be updated into the OP.

It has some nice parts to it, just maybe needs some condensing.

I really hope Bethesda has made things easier to alter things like the AI in this release. I don't know about the FO series of games, but I know oblivion had substantial AI mods. Ones like Reneer's Guard Overhaul did what they could, but the gaps were too large to fill in entirely; one would assume no such mods existed because there was no accessible routines for the AI available for edit.

agree with bearget's post entirely

There's no point playing stealth if you can only get 1 stealth hit without waiting for the NPC to go inactive. May as well just charge in and use unrelenting force to clear the place and kill them while they're on the ground. Further, with full archery perks, it should be much easier to get 1 shot kills with bow+arrow in stealth. any mob thats not the basic bandit/critter normally takes at least 2 hits, thats with a legendary daedric bow+20 points fire damage in stealth