Take the stupid out of the A.I.

Harkonian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+30 minutes IRL?!?!?!?!?!

This game eats enough time already.

He is right, what they should do instead.. is a progressive sweep of the entire area.. as intelligent people may do.

You are a security guard, with a gun, and no phone to the police. You know somebody is on the premises, how do you go about ensuring they are gone? You perform a sweep, you check everywhere. If it is dark somewhere you use light.

So bandits might use torches where zombies might just sweep the area and all the corners two or three times. Have them go anywhere that is open to travel. If the problem is behavioural, fix the behaviour not the time they perform it for.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, almost any implementation would be better than the current one.

+30 minutes IRL?!?!?!?!?!

This game eats enough time already.

He is right, what they should do instead.. is a progressive sweep of the entire area.. as intelligent people may do.

You are a security guard, with a gun, and no phone to the police. You know somebody is on the premises, how do you go about ensuring they are gone? You perform a sweep, you check everywhere. If it is dark somewhere you use light.

So bandits might use torches where zombies might just sweep the area and all the corners two or three times. Have them go anywhere that is open to travel. If the problem is behavioural, fix the behaviour not the time they perform it for.

The A.I is so horribly bad right now, particularly if you are playing stealthily.

More suggestions for crime:

1. Bodies get disposed of after one day once a guard has discovered a body (possibly bodies respawned into an area near the barracks like a makeshift morgue, if possible).

2. NPC's will alert guards to dead bodies.

3. NPC's have a wider field of view, so they can actually see dead bodies 2m away from them. They can also spot sneaks easier.

4. If a body is in viewing distance, an NPC will ALWAYS check it - this won't get problematic once a guard sees it, because after 1 day the body will be gone.

5. Guards will question you more about deaths (100% of the time if you walk past a dead body near a guard, a guard WILL ask you about it (already in the game, but rare).

6. Bribe guards for non-capital offenses.

7. If 2 or more innocents are killed, the town goes crazy, running indoors and such. Some men team up with the guards to hunt a killer, but if no one witnesses you, they could still be alerted if you are trying to get out of the city (like a lock down).

8. The above situation requires cooldown, so you must pretend to be an innocent while it all cools over.

9. Other non-essential NPC's can commit crimes, and will loot dead bodies if no guards are around.

10. Looting a dead body is a capital offense infront of a guard.

11. Sneaking in plane sight will automatically make an NPC FOLLOW you. You MUST casually walk out of sight before sneaking.

I would really love these changes when the CK comes out, as this will make crime characters more fun.

I was sad when I saw that B had done NOTHING to fix sneak sillyness.

I can wear Heavy Armor and be like 10' in FRONT of a npc and they don't see me! Or I can "sneak" standing in the middle of a crowded well lit inn. And then there's ignoring another npc/creature dropping dead right in front of you. This is stupid.

I hope someone can fix this.

I probably haven't played a stealth character much, but when I try to sneak up on somebody, it is OSTENSIBLY f***ing difficult. Sure, the search AI is a bit bad, but they still wind up finding me, because when I'm sneaking, I'm trying not to be detected by walking, and so I go slow as s***, until finally, my target finds me and the eye lights up. And trying to get a backstab is hard as heck. Make one wrong move behind them, and BAM! The eye lights up, even though their back is turned.

Maybe it gets less difficult as you level up, (In which case, it SHOULD be that easy to kill them) but as it stands for me, I think Sneaking DOESN'T need to be harder.

Edited by IxionInc

Sneak levels up very, very quickly. By the time my character reached level 9 I had a sneak skill of 40, which made the game absurdly easy. So, yes, stealthy play needs to be made much harder. In addition, if you don't want the improved stealth play, there is no requirement that you install the mod...

I probably haven't played a stealth character much, but when I try to sneak up on somebody, it is OSTENSIBLY f***ing difficult. Sure, the search AI is a bit bad, but they still wind up finding me, because when I'm sneaking, I'm trying not to be detected by walking, and so I go slow as s***, until finally, my target finds me and the eye lights up. And trying to get a backstab is hard as heck. Make one wrong move behind them, and BAM! The eye lights up, even though their back is turned.

Maybe it gets less difficult as you level up, (In which case, it SHOULD be that easy to kill them) but as it stands for me, I think Sneaking DOESN'T need to be harder.

Yeah skyrim NPC AI really needs to be Deus Ex-ified.

Once you're spotted in that game EVERYONE in the "dungeon" would rush towards you ;)

That might be going a bit far, but at least if a humanoid NPC is hit, he calls for help or something and other humanoids withing X range come running.

Should be something.