Replacing voice files + .fuz lip syncing question

liag247

Hi, I'm trying to replace a few voice files in Skyrim (namely, changing the guard arrest dialogue lines to the loveable ones from Oblivion) for fun and to understand how they work.

I got from this thread that the .fuz files consist of lip syncing data and xWMA audio. I copied the .mp3 and .lip files from Oblivion, converted the MP3s to xWMA and embedded them in the default voice files in place of the original audio.

However, when I put these files in the corresponding audio directory skyrim\Data\sound\voice\skyrim.esm\malesoldier, Skyrim doesn't want to load them, and insists on using the original dialogue from the .bsa. I check "load loose files" every time I start the game (although as this thread indicates, this doesn't seem to work for a lot of people), but nothing happens.

I have some texture mods installed that just consist of texture files that replace the default ones just fine, so it's pretty weird that this doesn't work. Is there's something I've missed or could this just be due to the files I made not being correct? If so, is there some way to check? I can convert my .fuz files back to .xwm and they work just fine, so they seem to be correct.

Also, regarding the lip-syncing format in FUZE files, does anyone know yet how this works? Is it the same as the .lip format in Oblivion or different? In any case, is there any chance of the Creation Kit including a lip syncing utility for modifying/creating these?

Thanks for any anwers.

Edited by liag247

Also, regarding the lip-syncing format in FUZE files, does anyone know yet how this works? Is it the same as the .lip format in Oblivion or different?

Yep the format seems to be the same as in oblivion. At least a fuze created from oblivion sound and lip worked :)

In any case, is there any chance of the Creation Kit including a lip syncing utility for modifying/creating these?

I'd guess so. (hope the tool works then :-X)

I got from this thread that the .fuz files consist of lip syncing data and xWMA audio. I copied the .mp3 and .lip files from Oblivion, converted the MP3s to xWMA and embedded them in the default voice files in place of the original audio.

However, when I put these files in the corresponding audio directory skyrim\Data\sound\voice\skyrim.esm\malesoldier, Skyrim doesn't want to load them, and insists on using the original dialogue from the .bsa. I check "load loose files" every time I start the game (although as this thread indicates, this doesn't seem to work for a lot of people), but nothing happens.

I have some texture mods installed that just consist of texture files that replace the default ones just fine, so it's pretty weird that this doesn't work. Is there's something I've missed or could this just be due to the files I made not being correct? If so, is there some way to check? I can convert my .fuz files back to .xwm and they work just fine, so they seem to be correct.

Try looking into the Voices.bsa for the file you want to replace (bit of guessing needed). If you place your new file in the data-folder using the same structure as it is in the bsa, it should work.

Thanks for any anwers.

You're welcome :)

Thanks for your answers, however, the problem is that I know that I'm using the correct directory structure, but the game doesn't want to load my custom voice files for some reason. I noticed that the tool you had written produced different file headers than when I edited the files together manually (mind telling me how it generates them?), but it doesn't work even if I try it with files generated with your tool.

Any idea how I can check why the game doesn't load them? And could you please detail how you imported the files from Oblivion, so I know I'm actually doing this correctly?

Thanks for your answers, however, the problem is that I know that I'm using the correct directory structure, but the game doesn't want to load my custom voice files for some reason. I noticed that the tool you had written produced different file headers than when I edited the files together manually (mind telling me how it generates them?), but it doesn't work even if I try it with files generated with your tool.

That's odd. :-/

My Interpretation of the fuz-file structure is quite simple:

-4 Bytes "FUZE"

-4 Bytes "01 00 00 00" (maybe fuze-version)

-4 Bytes length of the lip-file (measured in bytes)

-the content of the lip-file

-the content of the xwm-file

Any idea how I can check why the game doesn't load them? And could you please detail how you imported the files from Oblivion, so I know I'm actually doing this correctly?

I used the oblivion-mod-manager to extract a voice mp3 and the lip file, converted the mp3 first to wave (using audacity) and then to xwm. Then I created the fuz-file using my tool.

To ensure it worked, I used the created file to replace _all_ existing fuz-files (by storing about 63000 copies of it in the correct structure and filenames) just because I didn't want to search the person whose voice I replaced. (It was funny, as everyone said the same thing over and over again.)

Could you email (my address is in the readme.txt) me your self-created fuz-file, the one created using my tool and perhaps the complete path, where you put the files?

I could compare the files and test on my own then.

I promise to use the files only for investigation and delete them after that.

[Edit] *punches his keyboard for producing so much typos*

Edited by Guest