Congress says pizza is a vegetable.

marharth

That is just messed up, for one pizza isn't even a good choice for children.

Pff obesity in the USA will sky rocket with this bill :whistling:

Edited by Thor.

Nice try but no.

Congress specifically mentioned pizza with the tomato paste thing. That is one of the big reasons they wanted it changed, since pizza has more tomato paste then what the current serving is considered correct.

You really are dense, aren't you?

Here's the committee report tendered for the bill:

http://www.rules.house.gov/Media/file/PDF_112_1/Committee%20Jurisdiction%20Reports/CR2112%201114s.pdf

And here's the bill itself:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr2112enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr2112enr.pdf

Please identify every instance of the word 'pizza' for me, and the context in which it appears.

Oh wait, you can't, because pizza isn't mentioned even once, not once in the bill itself, and not once in the report by the committee sponsoring the bill.

Nutritional facts regarding tomato paste, which validate Congress' choice to equate tomato paste to a serving of vegetables:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/did-congress-declare-pizza-as-a-vegetable-not-exactly/2011/11/20/gIQABXgmhN_blog.html

Have fun being educated (i.e., you just got schooled)

:facepalm:

Okay let me explain this to you in a simple way.

Congress wishes for tomato paste to be equal to a serving of vegetables. Pizza has the correct serving of tomato paste that would be required for this. Congress is essentially saying pizza is equal to a vegetable nutritionally.

:facepalm:

Facepalm more when it's obvious just how f***ing wrong you are.

Okay let me explain this to you in a simple way.

This should be good.

Congress wishes for tomato paste to be equal to a serving of vegetables.

It is equal. Did you look at the table in the website I posted?

Pizza has the correct serving of tomato paste that would be required for this. Congress is essentially saying pizza is equal to a vegetable nutritionally.

So? Pizza is equal to a serving of vegetables and a serving of dairy and a serving of grain. Wow, I didn't know that before last week. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Congress figured out that doozy of nutritional science.

This is clearly news because Congress thinks that pizza is a vegetable.

In other news, fried chicken comes with a serving of grain and milk chocolate includes dairy. Quick, if Congress passes a bill that doesn't mention either but effectively classifies fried chicken as including grain and chocolate a dairy product, post it on the evening news and turn it into headline news, only change the words around to read "Congress passes law calling fried chicken is a grain; chocolate is milk."

Edited by lukertin

So? Pizza is equal to a serving of vegetables and a serving of dairy and a serving of grain. Wow, I didn't know that before last week. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that Congress figured out that doozy of nutritional science.

This is clearly news because Congress thinks that pizza is a vegetable.

In other news, fried chicken comes with a serving of grain and milk chocolate includes dairy. Quick, if Congress passes a bill that doesn't mention either but effectively classifies fried chicken as including grain and chocolate a dairy product, post it on the evening news and turn it into headline news, only change the words around to read "Congress passes law calling fried chicken is a grain; chocolate is milk."

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/1004/faithpalm-jesus-god-facepalm-bible-faithpalm-fail-religion-c-demotivational-poster-1271278061.jpg

Pizza is NOT equal to a serving of vegetables and a serving of dairy and a serving of grain. You won't get fat by eating vegetables or grain, you won't have high cholesterol from eating those, you won't have health problems for eating those, you won't die from a heart attack one day from eating those, do you really want me to continue?

Pizza is not a vegetable, and it's not healthy, and kids should eat healthy food and not pizza and french fries unless they want to look like a dying walrus one day.

Edited by Werne

Pizza is NOT equal to a serving of vegetables and a serving of dairy and a serving of grain. You won't get fat by eating vegetables or grain, you won't have high cholesterol from eating those, you won't have health problems for eating those, you won't die from a heart attack one day from eating those, do you really want me to continue?

So, if I give you a small piece of dough, some tomato paste, and some cheese, then that's a serving of grain, a serving of vegetables, and a serving of dairy. But put them together and WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?

Pizza is NOT equal to a serving of vegetables and a serving of dairy and a serving of grain.

It isn't? Holy s***, then what is a pizza? Clearly not made out of dough, cheese, or tomatoes. None of those ingredients exist in pizza, therefore pizza is not a serving of vegetables, diary, and grain.

You won't get fat by eating vegetables or grain, you won't have high cholesterol from eating those, you won't have health problems for eating those, you won't die from a heart attack one day from eating those, do you really want me to continue?

But you will get fat from eating equivalent of a pound of cheese every day. Or how about half a pepperoni sausage, one of the most unhealthy meat products in the world? Derp. My name is Werne and I don't understand basic nutrition.

And for the record, if you ate just cheese pizza, that is actually a rather healthy meal. Properly prepared dough (i.e., not coated in grease like Pizza Hut does) with low fat mozzarella and tomatoes. You would be hard pressed to find a more nutritious meal. Hey, you know what that sounds like? Regular old pasta. Is pasta unhealthy? Why isn't Italy collapsing under the weight of its obese, heart diseased population?

Pizza is not a vegetable, and it's not healthy, and kids should eat healthy food and not pizza and french fries unless they want to look like a dying walrus one day.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4127992813_91c0640808.jpg

I'm sorry your knowledge of pizza is restricted to that greasy garbage made by Pizza Hut.

Hey Marxist Bastard, the other day I made a pizza and topped it with tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, olives, spinach, and even some pineapple, but for some reason what I ended up eating had no vegetables or fruit. I'm just as confused as you are, but thankfully the next day Congress passed a bill which supposed made pizza a vegetable despite no mention of the word 'pizza' once in the bill, so now I can rest easy knowing what I ate at least had a vegetable in it.

Edited by lukertin

@lukertin Ok, so pizza is good and healthy, and so is the food kids get in school. And here's some statistical data on obesity in US:

About one-third of U.S. adults (33.8%) are obese.

Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese.

Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has almost tripled.

Is that because of the healthy food? When I was a kid, I'd get an apple and a bottle of water if I was lucky, and mostly, I'd get nothing. No pizza, french fries, sandwiches or stuff like that. Today, kids run around with greasy pizzas, and big sandwiches with mayonaise dripping out of them. I don't think that's healthy food.

And I agree, that grease-coated s*** is as healthy as a nuclear bomb. By the way, there's no need for all caps rage because of pizza. I state my opinion and you act like I'm a terrorist.

Oh, and I didn't see this one:

So, if I give you a small piece of dough, some tomato paste, and some cheese, then that's a serving of grain, a serving of vegetables, and a serving of dairy. But put them together and WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?

Science did nothing, people did. They coated it with s***load of grease and slammed it to our faces saying it's good food. Every day I'm watching Mc. Donalds commercials saying that the greasy sandwiches they are selling are actually healthy.

When I was a kid, I'd get an apple and a bottle of water

That's 91 calories. An average school lunch pizza is 330 calories. So yeah, if someone eats the latter instead of the former, then with all other things being equal, they could gain weight over time. But nobody's being given that choice.

Current policy says a school lunch should total 600 calories. It doesn't matter if that quota is met using 6 raw apples; 3 cups of tomato paste; pizza, fruit salad, and milk; or a double down. If a kid would gain weight with one option, they'd gain weight with the others too.

Think that's wrong? Blame nutritional standards that assume a kid will eat exactly 600 calories at breakfast, 600 at lunch, and 600 at dinner – and nothing else. Don't misdirect your rage into an argument about the nutritional qualities of tomato paste.

Science did nothing, people did. They coated it with s***load of grease and slammed it to our faces saying it's good food.

So is grease part of the tomato paste? Does putting tomato paste onto dough magically create grease? I'm sort of lost here.

Edited by Marxist ßastard

Right. This has got silly. Here are the points:

-Congress has set the amount of vegetable they see as one 'portion' to an amount that would allow schools to serve pizza to their pupils and still be considered to be serving them a 'healthy' meal (due to the 'portion' of vegetables).

-The amount congress has set as a 'portion' of vegetables is actually rather small, much smaller than the size a dietitian or other expert would recommend. When you hear about getting your recommended "5 a day", a congress-sanctioned portion does not count for 'one' but much less.

Hence, congress has said serving pizza is equivalent to serving a meal including one portion vegetables. It isn't, but the law says it is so legally it's fine.

The point is, there's a big discrepancy between an actual portion and a congressionally set portion, which could have been motivated by a desire to allow schools to save money by not having to change the food they serve (depending on your opinions of the people and system/s involved).

Now I'm off to my own politics where people who disagree with you are not automatically the heirs to the ideas of Karl Marx or Adolf Hitler. David Cameron is an incompetent boob with a shiny forehead, have a nice day.