Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

But Bethesda aren't guilty of retconning with Skyrim. The only game in which they at least partially did that is with Oblivion. Looks to me like some people didnt play Daggerfall/Morrowind and now they have this idea in their heads of how TES elves "should" look.

LOL I thought it wouldn't take long for a Morrowind fan to jump down my throat but I never thought it would be that quick.

Actually I DID play Morrowind. Until I was cross eyed with it as it happens. Don't make such sweeping assumptions. My abiding habit of playing Bretons dates from then, because I thought the elves were hideous, although I did have a soft spot for Master Aryon...

Do try reading my post. I clearly stated that in my game I want my elves to look a certain way because I am influenced by the folklore of my ancestors. It's my game after all. But with the dumbing down of the chargen, Bethesda removing sliders as they have prevents me from making the gals look feminine, apart from Aredhel there...

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you stated, it's a matter of opinion, and no one person can fully persuade another; one's persons fulgy is another's flower. Tha'ts the beauty of Beth making a construction set...people can make their game as enjoyable as they want.

I am not trying to argue anyone into thinking the way I do, if thats what you are implying. I also was not accusing Lachdonin of doing it either, you might have noticed that I also used the word "if" in my quoted comment. ;)

No, I was not implying either, at all. That's the limitation of the printed word--implied intonation is a real *censored*. ;) My statement was merely, opinion is opinion, no matter which side of the fence one falls on. I bid you a pleasant day and an enjoyable Skyrim experience. :)

Im one of these people who like to make characters that look good...and im not talking about model-like ones....when you create a game where you can make your character, the creators should always keep in mind that its important that the races should have some attractiveness to them...and again im not talking about models here...in my opinion the elves in skyrim have none of that...sure they are different/distinct but completely uninteresting to me.

I was eager to play a dark elf, but it seems i will have to wait again for some mod.

Im one of these people who like to make characters that look good...and im not talking about model-like ones....when you create a game where you can make your character, the creators should always keep in mind that its important that the races should have some attractiveness to them...and again im not talking about models here...in my opinion the elves in skyrim have none of that...sure they are different/distinct but completely uninteresting to me.

I was eager to play a dark elf, but it seems i will have to wait again for some mod.

Ok, i'm trying to pull this into a domain where it's less 'I don't like them' 'Well i do and you're stupid' and more 'Whats wrong with them'. So i'll assk this. What's wrong with them?

By that, i mean what features about the Elves do you not like? The drawn brows, the higher cheekbones, the narrow jaws?

I will admit that theres a lot less choice, and no room for fine runing in this, but i think that draws more from the fact that each race has a unique mesh for their skulls. The creation of 10 completely maliable skulls, and the animations to acompany them would have taken a tremendious amount of work.

Ok, i'm trying to pull this into a domain where it's less 'I don't like them' 'Well i do and you're stupid' and more 'Whats wrong with them'. So i'll assk this. What's wrong with them?

By that, i mean what features about the Elves do you not like? The drawn brows, the higher cheekbones, the narrow jaws?

I will admit that theres a lot less choice, and no room for fine runing in this, but i think that draws more from the fact that each race has a unique mesh for their skulls. The creation of 10 completely maliable skulls, and the animations to acompany them would have taken a tremendious amount of work.

Thats why i put lines under "my opinion" and "to me":)

While i like that they tried to make them different the problem is in my opinion base head structure that you cant smooth/change more...also this structure is shared with other elven races and i think orc base head structure was also used on the dark elves to a point...this makes them look very generic without any personality...while they do look different(mostly in color of the skin), they are unintereting becouse to me it really dossent matter if i make a wood elf or high elf the base head structure is the same with little changes, count the dumbed down character creation options to it and you get my point.

But ofcourse this is everything just a matter of ones taste so dont get it too personal on you. :smile:

Edited by pavy

I for one am kind of glad the way elves look now. I'm glad they brought back the black eyes for the Bosmer. Although, I'm not too sure why that option is there for the human races...

And please, before someone accuses me as a "Morrowind Fan" (which I am, just not a fanboy), please take into consideration that just because I like the way elves looked in Morrowind, does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that is the "correct" way they should look. Everyone has their own opinion, and I would greatly appreciate it if all these accusations of "Morrowind Fanboyism" would cease to exist. :thumbsup:

It's still an ES game. People should not be separated into different "social classes" based on their favorite game.

I already expressed why I dont like dark elves in Skyrim: They look like zombified klingons... but then I realized my mistake so now I say they look like zombified romulans. It's fairly simply.

Also I like pretty, or at least hot and badass at the same time. And with the elves in this game you cant do that without modding them heavily. And we cant even do much to them without the construction kit because they removed so many sliders.

'Zombified Romulans' does not make for a very discriptive explination of ones tastes.

While i like that they tried to make them different the problem is in my opinion base head structure that you cant smooth/change more...also this structure is shared with other elven races and i think orc base head structure was also used on the dark elves to a point...this makes them look very generic without any personality...while they do look different(mostly in color of the skin), they are unintereting becouse to me it really dossent matter if i make a wood elf or high elf the base head structure is the same with little changes, count the dumbed down character creation options to it and you get my point.

This, on the other hand, is better, though in my opinion still lacking.

I would start by saying that, acording to TES background, all the Elves (and Orcs, as a matter of fact) are decended from the Altmer. Dunmer have complection changes due to Azura's curse, but otherwise should look almost identicle to a High Elf. In fact, the consistant skeletal structure of the Elves is indicitive of that common ancestry. In this regard, its pretty much just genetics. Even teh Falmer use a largely similar skull structure, though the facial features such as nose and eyes, as well as the textures are clearly distorted.

Admitedly, the differance between the various Mer races is mostly cosmetic. With the exception of the Dunmer, who do seem to have heavier brow musculature, and the Orcs, who are Daedra mutated Elves anyway, the only real differance between Altmer and Bosmer are skin tones, the former being yellowy, the latter being more tanned. I agree this does create a degree of homogony within the group, but i still think that the distinction is lightyears ahead of Oblivion.

I personally would have prefered a more animalistic Bosmer, maybe with a more shallow nose and more divered eyes to better represent their strictly carnivorious attitudes. They are, after all, only slightly civilised apex predators.

Of course, all of this is a (potentially vain) attempt to understand what people view as flaws in the design.

Skyrim was just released and im pretty sure there will be lots of edits and fixes to the elven looks as time goes on. Elves in skyrim do not live up to expectations, although i usually end up playing a custom race anyway. All in all i liked the creation system better in oblivion than skyrim, although i am excited to begin tweaking it. I feel that Skyrim has more potential than oblivion for custom races.