Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

'Zombified Romulans' does not make for a very discriptive explination of ones tastes.

While i like that they tried to make them different the problem is in my opinion base head structure that you cant smooth/change more...also this structure is shared with other elven races and i think orc base head structure was also used on the dark elves to a point...this makes them look very generic without any personality...while they do look different(mostly in color of the skin), they are unintereting becouse to me it really dossent matter if i make a wood elf or high elf the base head structure is the same with little changes, count the dumbed down character creation options to it and you get my point.

This, on the other hand, is better, though in my opinion still lacking.

I would start by saying that, acording to TES background, all the Elves (and Orcs, as a matter of fact) are decended from the Altmer. Dunmer have complection changes due to Azura's curse, but otherwise should look almost identicle to a High Elf. In fact, the consistant skeletal structure of the Elves is indicitive of that common ancestry. In this regard, its pretty much just genetics. Even teh Falmer use a largely similar skull structure, though the facial features such as nose and eyes, as well as the textures are clearly distorted.

Admitedly, the differance between the various Mer races is mostly cosmetic. With the exception of the Dunmer, who do seem to have heavier brow musculature, and the Orcs, who are Daedra mutated Elves anyway, the only real differance between Altmer and Bosmer are skin tones, the former being yellowy, the latter being more tanned. I agree this does create a degree of homogony within the group, but i still think that the distinction is lightyears ahead of Oblivion.

I personally would have prefered a more animalistic Bosmer, maybe with a more shallow nose and more divered eyes to better represent their strictly carnivorious attitudes. They are, after all, only slightly civilised apex predators.

Of course, all of this is a (potentially vain) attempt to understand what people view as flaws in the design.

Yes its really a personal taste in this matter...i know that some elven races do look the same but sometimes for the sake of making things interesting, wouldnt be bad to make them more different in the core...ofcourse this is still a step forward from oblivion pumpkin heads.

Sounds like the people who don't like elves are just wanting anime-esque looking elves.....

Please dont put walls arround your head and judge people just becouse you think you are right...attractive dossent necessaryly mean we want models, but based on your reaction it seems you dont understand this.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, elves are better in Skyrim than in Oblivion.

For example, in Oblivion dark elves, or any elves, actually, didn't have that mystical look. They didn't have the bad-assness that I thought they would. Thoronir is a good example of this. It's also nice that for a change, elves are more than just humans with pointy ears.

I think that the elves are just right, even if most disagree. :)

Edited by Amoramor

Sounds like the people who don't like elves are just wanting anime-esque looking elves.....

I agree with Pavy's sentiments, this type of responce really doesn't add anything to the conversation. I know i've been guilty of it too (My comment about 'fixing' the elf population from earlier) but for the sake of intelegent discourse, i for one will endevour not to make snide comments anymore.

Anyway, i'm not at a computer where i can play with the features, but once i do so i will brouse and see what i can come up with that -I- find attractive. if i can, i'll link them, and with some actual images as referance we may be able to make some conversation :P

That's why it's such a godsend that Bethesda's games tend to be as modder-friendly as they are. If there is some design like this that you don't particularly like yourself, it's not impossible to tweak this.

However, I don't think I will, I really like the new look the elves got. I've never been a fan of fantasy-elves anyway, but for once, I'm considering making one. I never liked the classic Elf architype, the sort of fairer, better slender human with long ears. At least in Skyrim, it's immediatly apparent that they're part of a different species, and their more alien nature makes them stand out for once. And honestly, I can't see what's so hideous about them. I think they can be rather appealing as it is, be it in their own way.

The first time I saw the female elfs in Skyrim I was like... what the !?

I always thought elfs should look like this >3< : http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/af0f7fcf504d7566f9dc617c.jpg

Well, the term "Elf" is very broad, after all, and there's many, many many interpretations of it. We've got the different types of Elves from Oblivion, we've got the Elves of classic folklore, the Tolkien Elves, the Tolkien Elves as seen in the Lord of the Rings films, we've got the mothtastic Warcraft-Elves... And I must say that even if the milage can vary amongst the fanbase on the final result, it's rather applaudable that Bethesda went of the safe, beaten track and brought their own Elves back to their old, defining looks. These days, when Elf = Mr. Legolas in the public consciousness, it's most certainly quite brave, if nothing else.

Well lets see... the humans are perfectly fine, save for some weird odds and wrinkles, which were easily fixed with Gimps' blur tool.

Argonians are awesome, though I'm disappointed that the females still have breasts when they really shouldn't.

Khajiits look cool. Now our favourite kitties can have some individual variation! Yay!

Orcs are awesome as well. No longer look like the lime green clay I made for a history class project, now they look like some ludicrously sexy beasts!:wub:

Elves, however... Bethesda made a big blunder here.

Dear God, they've made elves so ugly it's unreal. I think the way they looked in Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion was perfectly fine. Why the heck did they have to go and make them look like Klingons? Seriously, those rubber forehead aliens ceased to be attractive or even remotely likeable back in the 1980's.

I'm upset. In Oblivion elven men were smoking hawt... now... well... it's the opposite.

Thankfully some talented modders fixed the issue with the wrinkles and plastic foreheads, but they still look pretty homely. I pray they release the CK soon. I need to fix this so bad. :(

Really don't know what you're complaining about, Bethesda's have always looked different to the generic WOW crap most game give you. the Elves in Skyrim are actually pretty close to how they were in Morrowind. In Oblivion all the characters had basically the same putty faces which looked horrible. I love their skyrim look because they don't just look like pretty humans with pointy ears, they look alien and damn cool to boot. obviously one of you will eventually make a mod to turn them into bland LOTR lookalikes but I won't be downloading it.

Hey, I've got an idea: Let's have things the way we like them and not go hating on each other. Seriously, aesthetics is a field where it can never be unanimity of opinions, since there will never be something that looks beautiful to everyone. Edited by necKros

Hey, I've got an idea: Let's have things the way we like them and not go hating on each other. Seriously, aesthetics is a field where it can never be unanimity of opinions, since there will never be something that looks beautiful to everyone.

While true, thats a dissmissal of the discussion. The important point is to discuss the aesthetic traits people favor to gain an understanding of WHY people think the way they do.

Hey, I've got an idea: Let's have things the way we like them and not go hating on each other. Seriously, aesthetics is a field where it can never be unanimity of opinions, since there will never be something that looks beautiful to everyone.

While true, thats a dissmissal of the discussion. The important point is to discuss the aesthetic traits people favor to gain an understanding of WHY people think the way they do.

Each one has its own philosophy and objectives when gaming, and Skyrim is a game that, given its enormous potential, attracts many type of players. Some are expecting to live a beautiful experience and will follow any path that puts beauty in every aspect of the game. Since beauty is always a subjective matter, there willbe of course different approaches to this concept. One approach, which is being discussed here, is to impose, to some degree, human beauty canons to the elven species.