On the Infinite Stupidity in Riften

Sfumato

I have a similar situation. I got the golden claw for Lucan Valerius but didnt used it to open the ancient barrows. So I decided I didnt cared for it and wanted to retrieve his golden claw.

So no conversation options appear. I remove the claw, and shove it to his face while holding E to manipulate the object, yet, he does not aknowledge it.

I got the letter from Sven and Faendal, and I wanted to show both letters to Camila Valerius. Still after completing the quest for either of them, THE GAME DOES NOT ALLOW ME. I have the letter on my inventory, I put it on top of her legs and nothing happens, she does not read it.

My character is running naked, jumping and dancing in front of the vendors AND THEY DONT GIVE ME A DISCOUNT!

What a break of immersion!

Edited by ogridum

I have a similar situation. I got the golden claw for Lucan Valerius but didnt used it to open the ancient barrows. So I decided I didnt cared for it and wanted to retrieve his golden claw.

So no conversation options appear. I remove the claw, and shove it to his face while holding E to manipulate the object, yet, he does not aknowledge it.

I got the letter from Sven and Faendal, and I wanted to show both letters to Camila Valerius. Still after completing the quest for either of them, THE GAME DOES NOT ALLOW ME. I have the letter on my inventory, I put it on top of her legs and nothing happens, she does not read it.

My character is running naked, jumping and dancing in front of the vendors AND THEY DONT GIVE ME A DISCOUNT!

What a break of immersion!

I think the point he is trying to make is that certain things are just beyond a programmer's abilities, or for that matter a team of programmers. Personally I was kind of displeased that I didn't have the option of killing Ulfric at the end of the stormcloak rebellion story line and taking his role of leadership on for myself. But there would be just too many variables to account for. Sure some of the soldiers would have recognized my player's significance and sided with them, whilst other members within that faction would see it as the ultimate betrayal and branch off from the group that supported me. But that would have meant making an add on to the storyline beyond that point. Or maybe I could have killed Ulfric and surrendered to general tulius and dealt with the consequences of that. Not to mention the book you find during the main quest personally written by a thalmor pretty much writing out in bold print that they screwed with Ulfric's mind just to make him start a rebellion with the sole goal of weakening the continent overall so they could take it over easier. Couldn't show that to either side of the civil war even though I'm pretty sure a document like that would have some pretty large implications in actual politics, though again, dissapointed that it couldn't even be used during the peace talks to help them reach a truce. Though again this is because It'd be hard to cover all the possible routes something like that could lead to.

This is not to excuse some obviously terrible dialogue and plots that could have easily been fixed. It took nothing at all to wipe out the dark brotherhood if you chose the right option when the questline for the dark brotherhood first pops up. So The only reason I can think of for them not doing the same with the thieve's guild is that by rooting out the corruption in the government, you'd have to change a lot of the dialogue for people in the city after that happens. And actually show signs of the city getting back on it's feet.

But how would your character even know to do that in the first place? Say that you could actually provide proof of corruption to the jarl. The guards are in the back pocket of the thieve's guild. and in this world they are pretty much the local milita. Which means that logically speaking unless you went down the line killing every single corrupt person in that area, including every member of the military, you'd pretty much be put on riften's permenant s*** list. And really, which is the bigger immersion breaker? not being able to find a way to break corruption in a city where everyone is a part of that corruption, or one person Managing to wipe out what amounts to hundreds of people and walking away from it with his life intact?

Long and short of it being. It's hard to account for every possible reaction an action can lead to. We could sit here for 50 pages and try to come up with conclusions for how this or that would play out, and just when we think everything is accounted for, someone would come along with an angle we hadn't thought of.

!!!! light spoil on this post !!!

I remember a similar frustration with a Windhelm quest that i didn't even know exist at that time. My first visit in windhelm. As usual, i search for shops and good houses to break in.

After a visit of some houses, i find a strange chest, find the key needed and find a veeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy disturbing book.... with an name i've heard 150 times in 4 minutes by everyone in town. I was soooooo happy: finishing a quest without knowing she exist... just to find someone that will interest.... someone please??? Please???? no? Ok....

So what could have been a funny experience became a "go and search on the web after a quest guide that will tell you why nobody want to read that proof"

So, i made the quest on the norm... the only way possible and spent a lot of time and save to try different time to take the book, at each step of the quest, and i've never been able to use it... Could have solve this, but no, because nobody can open a book.

My worst time on the game

Edit: remove some spoil, don't want to burn anyone eyes

Edited by filoumz

I remember a similar frustration whit the quest "blood on the ice" (that i didn't even know exist at that time, my first visit in windhelm. As usual, search for shops to break in.

After a visit to what i think is a shop, with nobody inside and find a chest that need a key... After some searching, i pickpocket the key from tha owner and find a veeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy disturbing book.... with an name i've heard 150 times in 4 minutes by everyone in town: the Butcher.... I was soooooo happy: finishing a quest without knowing she exist... just to find someone that will interest.... someone please??? Please???? no? Ok....

So what could have been a funny experience became a "go and search on the web after a quest guide that will tell you why nobody want to read that proof"

So, i made the quest on the norm... the only way;i didn't accuse the mage, of course, as i know he has nothing to do with it (his quote "whatever i've hear about me is.... probably true" become quite funny by the way), find the dead girl, visit the home, ...

I spend a lot of time and save to try different time to take the book, at each step of the quest, and i've never been able to use it... Could have solve this with one less murder, but no, because nobody can open a book.

My worst time on the game

I also happened to stumble upon the Butcher's journal. Now that I know you can't short-cut this quest with the proof, I will be skipping that quest entirely. Thanks for saving me some frustration.

I could swear that Fallout 3 was waaaaay better about this kind of stuff.

I have to agree with a lot of the frustration of the railroading; Bethsoft's always been bad about it, but in a game where the player is supposed to do anything, it feels more like, the player can do anything (the developers could think of), and then it turned out the developers had very limited imaginations.

Don't get me wrong, the game is a lot of (mindless) fun, but seriously, I've given up trying to stay in character for the game; I feel like I can do nothing roleplay-wise, so instead, I'm just going to keep doing Sweep and Bedlam jobs and ignore the story entirely.

@ J_R: well, i tried on many way, never found anything anywhere specific to this book, but nothing. Is it broke? Have i miss THE pnj to talk to about the book? Is that you can't go and say "look what i've found while robbing him!" (i would have done the evade quest with pleasure to use that book, or even try to lie and say that i had reason to suspect him, whatever....

By the way, i just think about it, isn't my post a little spoiling for this section? I'm gonna edit it to be less accurate

In Morrowind, soon as I left Seyda Neen I ran, ran, explored, killed, quested. I didn't even really know what the main story was, for quite awhile too. I wanted to level and gear up before getting into anything big.

In Skyrim, it seems harder to do that. Everyone wants to tell you something. Often, it's just the same annoying line over and over, but plenty of people know too much. I think the innkeeper at Nightgate was telling me about the Dark Brotherhood kid. How does he even know? Pretty sure he said himself, no one comes to his inn. Just a drunk, who lives at the inn, and an orc, who does the same.

Skyrim as a whole would be better if you had influence, if everyone wasn't trying to push you in the "right" direction, and, if you could take sides, and even fail. What if I don't want to save the world? What are they going to do about it? Apparently, they are going to live out their lives just fine until I do some quests. I think that's awful. Bring back the Thread of Fate and let us do as we please.

Like Haiken said about staying in character, it's difficult. I like to play it roguish, but when I can't say, "Seeing as I am the Dragonborn, the only one who can stop this, how about YOU do a few things for ME? I was nearly executed the other day, due to your political situation, and I honestly don't care about you, your people or your problems. So, again, what can YOU do for ME?"

Edited by uruku7