Hopefully NMM compatibility will be required and verified

Talonvore

I support this proposal.

At this current time optional files could either be stored in a folder, e.g. “optional”, or renamed so they won't interfere with the game.

I believe in later stages, when the creation kit becomes available, we will have installation scripts again as we have with Oblivion so optional files won't be a problem then anymore.

The basic mod however should be presented in a way that makes installation easy. And lets be honest it is not hard to get the files structure right.

And concerning that: If I'm not mistaken the mod should not have a “Data” folder inside it's archive because the NMM will simply extract everything into the “Data” folder. So if the archive starts with Data then you will have a Data folder inside the Data folder and the mod won't work.

E.g. if it is a texture replacer the archive has to start with a “textures” folder and not “Data” folder.

Please don't forget: this is an BETA; FOMM also install mods correctly if there is an Data-Folder or not; this are simply bugs that are expected in a BETA. There are also no modding-tools like in FOMM because it is a BETA, so please if NMM don't install your mod correctly, report it in the NMM-BETA-bug report forum.

Did i already said that it's a BETA? XD

Edited by q111

I don't think enforcing compatibility sounds very nice, unless it also enforces compatibility with Wrye Bash (or whatever it's going to be called). After all, there are plenty of us who personally prefer the Bain install method. Edited by xaliqen

I personally am not too keen on the direction this could be going. I don't mind there being tools making downloading on certain modding sites easier, but I don't want to be forced to use this software myself. I prefer to upload my mods to more modding sites, without having to bother with all their downloading tools. A tool which could be used for ''all'' modding sites could be useful though. Edited by Maskar

I prefer to upload my mods to more modding sites, without having to bother with all their downloading tools.

I agree with this sentiment. Checking for simple compatibility, such as making sure the data directory is in the top level of the archive, seems like something that would be acceptable to most people.

But, making sure every file uploaded has a fomod script (or whatever) sounds a bit too extreme in my opinion.

I prefer to skip the DATA folder, I find it easier on me and people downloading to just be able to extract into the data folder not into the skyrim folder.

But thats just my preference and what I have been doing since Morrowind, so I guess all my mods are not compatible with NMM.

I think it would be better to skip the data folder as a requirement, if what I am reading here is correct.

I think it would be better to skip the data folder as a requirement, if what I am reading here is correct.

I think it's actually even better if the archive is structured as if it's already in the data folder (no data folder needed, right?).

Isn't the main issue at the moment really about the few mods where the data folder (or textures/meshes, etc..) is buried under multiple directories in a format neither Bain nor NMM can recognize?

Of course, optional files that require a manual installation can also be an issue if Bain or NMM doesn't know about them, but that's more for the user to understand, right? There will always be room for user error.

Anyway, doing all this verification sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I don't have a problem repackaging mods for Bain, since I've been doing it for years now.

Trying to automatically verify whether each mod is okay for a scripted or directory-based Bain installation with multiple options or omod, etc... sounds like it's too much work. What happens when install methods change? The whole system would have to change at that point as well.

Edited by xaliqen

I prefer to skip the DATA folder

There's always a random fool who uploads their project as ProjectName/ActualModFolder/stuff'

And than figuring what's an update/patch can be even harder at times with people's horrible folder naming.

Whereas with /data you can more easily expect it to cleanly work.

Assuming the goal of the Nexus network is to 'lets make a install client like the Curse Nework that automates this stuff"

then I certainly agree with the OP.

It does not mean anyone that wants to do manual installs can not. One can do so via Curse too, and not use their automatted tool

that maintains installed mods ,etc.

I do not know what the goal is here and what I"ve seen indicates either they don't really know or are not willing to say just yet.

As is, the tool is pretty useless IMO OTHER than as a mod manager that sorts my mods as I did with FOMM.

The few times Iv'e tried the' install with NMM' more than half of the mods I tried to install that way , failed.

I too, use manual methods, have for years.

So, that means, if they are going to do it, DO IT RIGHT or not at all. To do it right means standards and practices

must be followed by all mod authors, as is done via Curse networks. It also means, if the wish is TO DO IT RIGHT, a

verification system would have to be in place. If you do NOT use a verification system you better be damn sure

your 'automated' installer program can't be exploited by some random idiot intent on destruction of user systems or

a ignorant idiot doing so by accident.

I think that is a good thing, as I have seen quite a few mods uploaded by some well meaning yahoo that does

not use 'standard' directory structure . The nub will be lost with that guys mod. Others, I'll say most, don't even

bother to properly document their mods with a included TXT file in the archive. (A big pet peeve of mine)

The confusion here that I see, is there does not seem to be a stated goal (least last I looked ) on the NMM beta boards,

two no FAQ of standards mod authors need adhere to in order for their mods to be able to be installed via the NMM.

SO half my post is based on presumption. That the Nexus network wants to ease mod installation and maintenance for

those THAT wish to use the automated system.

I just hope they have considered all the ramifications. To do it right will mean overhead admin and a control structure in place.

I'll just part with this. For the few years I played WoW i usually maintained a large collection of mods for that game manually.

It was a pain in the arse, in time. One day I decided to try their Curse client and was quite happy with the result. I let it

do its thing, update as needed the mods I wanted 'updated' and then closed the client. (I did not let it run all the time) It worked

for me and made life much easier.

If NMM ends up being a useful automation tool, I may well like to use that aspect of it . that said, I do prefer manual control

and there are so many ways to install mods in this game series I fear a automated system could just not work in so many cases. (like those of us who mix n match textures, sounds, etc. etc.)