Hopefully NMM compatibility will be required and verified

Talonvore

Not everything can use the normal folder structure, especially if there are optional parts.

That said, there is an option to disable the NMM for files, which I have been doing with anything that isn't NMM friendly.

Yes there are some mods like "FXAA Post Process Injector " that have options that need to be chosen that would not work with the NMM and which require an installer with scripting so that users can make choices during installation (which Retspadez was kind enough to do for FXAA Post Process Injector "). So there will be some mods that will not be totally NMM compatibel due to their technical nature. However for a large number of mods there simply is no reason why they should not be NMM ready.

On a side note, in some instances you can still use NMM to install mods that have their own installer made by the modder. Run the installer and when it asks for the directory, create a folder and have the installer install to it. After that you can use the NMM to add that file to your mods list so that you can easily install and uninstall the mod. I've done this before with "Ozmo's Hi-Rez Skin Textures" for Oblivion which had its own installer.

Edited by Talonvore

Yes there are some mods like "FXAA Post Process Injector " that have options that need to be chosen that would not work with the NMM and which require and installer with scripting so that users can make choices during installation which Retspadez was kind enough to do for FXAA Post Process Injector ". So there will be some mods that will not be totally NMM compatible due to their technical nature. However for a large number of mods there simply is no reason why they should not be NMM ready.

I don't think mods with multiple directories structured for a Bain install are NMM compatible, unless they've updated it for compatibility.

What does NMM do when there are multiple directories like 00 Core, 01 Option 1-1, 01 Option 1-2, etc?

It's good to remember that NMM isn't the only mod-management system out there.

Edited by xaliqen

I personally am not too keen on the direction this could be going. I don't mind there being tools making downloading on certain modding sites easier, but I don't want to be forced to use this software myself. I prefer to upload my mods to more modding sites, without having to bother with all their downloading tools. A tool which could be used for ''all'' modding sites could be useful though.

Thats exactly what NMM does. It is a Mod Manager and Installer for all mods on any Nexus site. So it works for Oblivion, Skyrim, Fall Out, and Fall Out New Vegas oh and Morrowwind as well.

As far as having to bother with downloading tools on your end it doesnt really require anything other than that you as the modder set up the file folders properly so that the mod will be installed properly with no fuss. NMM doesnt require scripting.

I prefer to upload my mods to more modding sites, without having to bother with all their downloading tools.

I agree with this sentiment. Checking for simple compatibility, such as making sure the data directory is in the top level of the archive, seems like something that would be acceptable to most people.

But, making sure every file uploaded has a fomod script (or whatever) sounds a bit too extreme in my opinion.

Yes Xaliqen thats exactly what im saying just insure the data directory and subsequent files are in the proper folders / locations. NMM does not reaquire any scripts to autoinstall mods, unlike some of the mod managers like OBMM and i guess apparently FOMM (iv'e never used FOMM myself).

Yes there are some mods like "FXAA Post Process Injector " that have options that need to be chosen that would not work with the NMM and which require and installer with scripting so that users can make choices during installation which Retspadez was kind enough to do for FXAA Post Process Injector ". So there will be some mods that will not be totally NMM compatible due to their technical nature. However for a large number of mods there simply is no reason why they should not be NMM ready.

I don't think mods with multiple directories structured for a Bain install are NMM compatible, unless they've updated it for compatibility.

What does NMM do when there are multiple directories like 00 Core, 01 Option 1-1, 01 Option 1-2, etc?

It's good to remember that NMM isn't the only mod-management system out there.

Well as i've stated before i am not a mod creator and by no means am I an expert on mods and mod installation, far from it.. I dont have an answer to your question since i've just started using NMM and not sure of all its capabilities and future uses and tools. Again i would say that obviously there are some mods that arn't going to be NMM self installable and would have to be manually installed.

That said though , there is no reason why the vast majority of mods should not be required to meet NMM standards. Im not here to make life miserable for modders, hell i appreciate modders and the time they spend to improve our games for us. However having mods conform to a standard, especially when the nexus sites have created a tool specifically for all their sites,makes modding so much simpler for everyone involved.

I've read several people say that they like to manually install their mods. That's fine by all means go right ahead. Some of us though, have large amounts of mods running in our games, sometimes 50+ and i know some people have over a 100+ in some of their games. What happens when you have that many mods installed and you need to remove some mods? It can be a pain to track down all the files that pertain to one specific mod so that you can remove the mod, not to mention restoring the original files that may have been overwritten. Having a mod manager makes installation and uninstallation a snap and keeps everything tidy.

Hmm no more thoughts on this topic? Was really hoping that we could get a general consensus on this. Being NMM compatible requires no extra effort on modders just requires them to ensure folders / files are set up properly. I myself can figure most mods out as far as installation goes if it doesnt install properly but some out there cant.

Also i think in all actuality this would make the nexus sites much better because there is nothing i hate more than looking at the comments section for a mod and have 40 to 50% of the comments be about issues with installing the mod. It would be much nicer to be able to read comments on a mod that were descriptions of how good the mod is or constructive criticism that will help to make the mod better, instead of having to pore over extraneous posts about installation issues.