Improving the Blades

Logiwink

Or maybe it could be thalmor captives as opposed to dremora? I think dremora are pushing it a little, but captives would make more sense in a servant role (at least to me)

I also like the idea of summoning ghosts of the Blades that were before, maybe a certain item of there's or a bone or something will be required in order to summon them, and then they could serve as trainers for recruits in whatever respective position they are. So in addition to questing for recruits, you need to quest for these summoning items to recall the ghosts to train the recruits. That way, we could have as generic people as possible for certain parts, or even allow the player to choose their own recruits as they see fit.

As for making the mod, i have no mod experience (would love to learn) but i will certainly voice act and playtest, maybe write script. That is, if you'll have me!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are still unbound Dremora in the world, theres this one who is a pirate, and some college students bound him, but couldn't control him, there's an unmarked quest for this in the college, it's in the Midden so there are still leftover dremora. But I don't think it's pushing it unless you aren't a mage. If your character is capable enough, anything is possible, it's just like the Atronach thralls, only this one is more or less fully aware.

I really like the idea of rescuing captives of the Thalmor - there was that one guy that we liberated in the main questline but whatever happened to him? One thing I really enjoyed was liberating captives from the super mutants in FO3, and it could be similar for this mod.

Sorry, lots to react to:

The Dragon Kill/Ally quests are definitely slated to be part of stage three of this mod. To lay out the development stages as I currently see them:

In the back of my head, I'm still thinking of making this mod somehow compatible with Dragonborn: The Fallen Graybeards. They do an awful lot with Dragons, so maybe we could work together in some way with the Dragon kill/ally quests to allow compatibility. Just a though... what do you think? (sorry if this makes for a lot of reading)

Stage 1: Make fully upgraded Sky Haven Temple for use as a player-base. Simple SHT-based puzzle-quest to open the Armory.

Stage 2: NPC recruitment missions with SHT upgrades linked to completing each recruitment missions.

Stage 3: Dragon Kill/Ally Questline with the Thalmor Showdown

Stage 4: Order of Talos Optional Sidequests, Other Bonus Features

Right now I envision doing Stage one by myself while anyone else who is interested can be working on elements of Stage 2. Depending on team member's abilities, preferences we might also be working on Stage 3 as we are finalizing stage two, and so on.

Agreed!

Everyone has a life of some sort, so if people need to drop out no explanation is needed. Everyone who currently wants to be on the team please let me know which of these jobs strikes your fancy:

1) Conversation scripting

2) Voice Acting

3) Level Design

4) NPC design (faces, gear, abilities)

5) 3D modeling for new items

6) Textures for new items

7) Adventure Scripting

8) Playtesters

Personally, I'm going to call dibbs on designing the new SHT layout (don't worry it'll get sent around for people to try out and comment on). I've got zero experience with 3D modeling and textures so I'd love to get someone who knows what they are doing with that. The other stuff I feel we can learn as we go although having a script guru around would be sweet. I also found someone who offered to make us a Trailer movie when the full mod is ready to go.

Mostly, I'll do Conversation scripting, Level design, NPC design and playtesting. Not sure about what you mean with adventure scripting... I have almost no experience in 3D modeling and texturing, although I might try making re-textures. And I'm not sure what it takes to voice-act, so not certain whether I could do it. And I'm dutch... might have a lil' accent :D

EDIT - Jibstaman, I do like the idea of a Blades/Haven Forge with smith-able Akiviri weapons and armor. If we wanted to we could separate out getting the forge from making the Akiviri stuff available. For example, get forge, then go on a quest in the library hunting down the schematics. Or perhaps go find some special tools needed for the forge (Akiviri forge tools?).

Akiviri Armor and Weapons - definitely available for purchase, but should that be default or should you have to enable purchase/crafting of them somehow? Also, how protective should the armor be compared to Dragon Plate, Daedric, Ebony armors? Current plans include making the heavy armor set from vanilla craftable as well as a set of Blades mage robes and Blades Light Armor along with tanto (knife), katana (vanilla blades one hand sword), and odachi (two hand katana style sword).

On the Akaviri weapons, maybe the smith is skiled enough to replicate the armour which you can then purchase?

That's more the way I think too. For your information, there is Dragonbane as enchanted Akaviri Weapon and there already is a mod with Akaviri Weapons and there already is Blades Equipment. Light armor variant would be nice.

About separation, not sure what you mean. What I would think is getting normal forge from Smith and upgrading it through a special side-quest.

About selling, there is this Heavy Armor set laying around. So I think making them available for sale after the Forge upgrade would be more realistic and not sad for the player.

About protectiveness, the existing gear isn't really comparable with another set of gear. The armor is better as Ebony. Boots have the same AR as Dwarven boots... and so forth. So, do what you think is right when choosing those values :wink: .

Hmpf... While editing, I came up with something, not sure how we could make it. I have the second variation of Dragonbane. Maybe an idea to allow upgrading that weapon to you're new level?

I would like to still be able to kill Paarthurnax, but for different reasons then the Blades, I killed him in my game because I wanted to take over in the power vacuum left by Alduin, Paarthurnax would have filled that role if I didn't kill him and I would have been relegated to a lackey.

For this, go to Dragonborn: The Fallen Graybeards(might need to go to their own forums, if the information about this is not on Nexus). I think this it out of this mods scope.

For the ally quests, we can choose to either kill Paarthurnax or let him live, while still keeping any relations with the Greybeards intact, same thing with the Blades, we have to convince them of our reasons for going down this path.

Is this lore-friendly?

First of all, Paarthurnax could play a major roll in the Dragon Ally part. Where the main quests leaves off is Paarthurnax going to learn other dragons "The Way of the Voice", which could be very useful for quests we come up with.

Secondly, is it realistic that the Greybeards would not be angre about it and would still be willing to work with you? I think this is against their character.

In the current storyline you guys have together, will the blades take the fight TO the Thalmor? Or will there be Thalmor attacks on SHT where upgrading traps would help in protecting it?

I would think both, but the options are still open. And there is always the face of "Is that possible (for us)" looking around the corner. (Well, at least it is staring me in the face... I can see it in the corner of my eye!)

Blades Kennel - awesome idea, but we only can do this if we make the trainer look like Cesar Millan. Seriously. Blades Dog Whisperer.

Brilliant! :laugh:

About all the "Persistent Summon" stuff: I'm not convinced. If we make it, I think it needs some sort of integration, a purpose fitting the story. And let's keep it lore friendly and Blades relevant. I agree with NotCros, I like the idea of a blades ghost, maybe a named one from Cloud Ruler Temple from Oblivion. Maybe he could be the Veteran... maybe he could be a good artifact retriever (not a dog...) who knows a few locations. But it has to fit within the story, fit within the Blades. I also agree with Logiwink, let's keep the count at one.

There was that one guy that we liberated in the main questline but whatever happened to him?

He's with the Thieves Guild afterwards.

One thing I really enjoyed was liberating captives from the super mutants in FO3, and it could be similar for this mod.

You might want to expend that statement, since not all of us have played FO3.

Also, updated the "Scrolls of the Blades (Re)Forgers" with the "new recruits" who would like to help the way they can. Also will add all (pending) suggestions (mentioned in this thread) of which some might be out of the scope of this project.

Maybe share the document I created to allow certain people to edit it? (Does require everyone wanting access to have a Gmail account...)

And now I'm sick of quotes! :wallbash:

Edited by JibstaMan

That's more the way I think too. For your information, there is Dragonbane as enchanted Akaviri Weapon and there already is a mod with Akaviri Weapons and there already is Blades Equipment. Light armor variant would be nice.

About separation, not sure what you mean. What I would think is getting normal forge from Smith and upgrading it through a special side-quest.

Dropped a line to the mod creator and asked if he'd like to join up. Also, that's totally my thoughts on the Smith and forge too. Although we might need to strip out the side-quest if things are getting too complicated. Drytor's first smith recruitment dialog is an excellent first draft and is my favorite of the three currently on his google doc.

Kairo29, on 06 December 2011 - 12:19 AM, said:

In the current storyline you guys have together, will the blades take the fight TO the Thalmor? Or will there be Thalmor attacks on SHT where upgrading traps would help in protecting it?

I would think both, but the options are still open. And there is always the face of "Is that possible (for us)" looking around the corner. (Well, at least it is staring me in the face... I can see it in the corner of my eye!)

What Jibstaman said on this one.

Also - as far as the Blades Ghost goes, can we bring back Baurus? That would be cool.

Edited by Logiwink

Although we might need to strip out the side-quest if things are getting too complicated. Drytor's first smith recruitment dialog is an excellent first draft and is my favorite of the three currently on his google doc.

I'm not sure why that would be complicated, rather then maybe low priority. Considering the possible Armory/Museum hidden room (see spoiler for quote), the schematics for the forge could be in there, explaining how to upgrade a forge so it is suited for making Blades stuff.

I was thinking about unique items and quests in this mod and it occurred to me that a good way to unlock something like the Armory/Museum might be to go on a quest to retrieve another Dragonstone like the one from the main questline, which might be the key to opening the Armory. Or perhaps we could do something like treasure map around the new SHT culminating in pressing a hidden button on Alduin's Wall to open up the Armory. I'm ripping this off shamelessly from some of the Dragon Age Mage Tower quests like The Watchguard of the Reaching or Summoning Studies.

Also - as far as the Blades Ghost goes, can we bring back Baurus? That would be cool.

I think that is possible, when there is a redguard-like ghost variation of the ghosty Blades.

Just something I found looking for Blades logo (which is as far as I could find the same as the imperial armor logo's), a topic of another Blades restoration project (in Oblivion). Might be interesting to look at, although I haven't looked at myself much atm.

Edited by JibstaMan

I think Jauffre has a better case for being brought back as a Ghost although Baurus was a little more epic. I say this due to one of the last things he says in Oblivion:

After the defeat of Mehrunes Dagon, the first time you greet Jauffre, he will be astonished: "A victory beyond hope! You and Martin defeated Mehrunes Dagon in the very moment of his triumph! All hail the Champion of Tamriel!" When you ask him about the Dragonfires, he will explain: "I believe that Martin's sacrifice sealed the gates of Oblivion forever. Tamriel no longer needs the protection of the Dragonfires." Asking about Martin, he will express his admiration: "He truly was the Dragonborn... the last, and perhaps the greatest of all the Septims." He will also comment on Mehrunes Dagon: "Against all hope, Martin cast him back into Oblivion! He will not trouble our world for long years to come." When he's at Cloud Ruler Temple, asking about it will express his concern over the Empire: "This old place is the one thing that gives me some sense of certainty in these uncertain times."

Perhaps he spent the rest of his life looking for another true Dragonborn and could not rest until that task was completed. He saw it as his duty to guide the next Dragonborn.He also has extensive knowledge of the Blades and their function when they were at their strongest and still had an Emperor. He was also alive through a time of strife and could aid Delphine in leading the Blades.

This could also tie in nicely for anyone else who might want to make a mod to do with you becoming Emperor .

If you could please. add the following.

- Allowing to add more members into the blades.

- Make Dragonborn the Leader of the Blades by giving him the recruit dialog to recruit new member.

- Add several new AI script for new members b/c there are only 5 AI scripts for the Blades.

(Delphine, Esbern, and 3 recruits AI script)

- If u could try to create the forge and blacksmithing npc acting as merchant script

- Library, Librarian keeper acting as book merchant and script for npc to read,

- Alchemy lab and alchemist merchant and script for alchemist npc that sells alchemy supplies.

- Enchanter lab that sells Soul Gem and spells.

- outside practicing ground for magic casters to shoot fire, lightning, ice.

- Outside, create a wooden dragon practice target spining around 30 feet high on a 30 feet wooden pole dragging around by the donkey down below.

- Make a script for npcs practice shooting the wooden dragon and casting on dragon.

- script for npc walking around the huge room, making several conversation.

- A drinking area where npc randomly fist fight and make one keeper that sells food and drink supplies. and give new quests

I Spent 4 days (50 hrs +) trying to add more members to the blades and had no Luck. I couldn't reset quests or reset stage,

I spawned multiple Delphine, and Multiple recruits to the total of about 50s members and these 5 scripts made the NPCs stuck, Jammed into each other.

The more quests for the blades is a good Idea but at this second there are several bug into the blade main quest line.

Edited by nguyenlong311