Improving the Blades

Logiwink

Nice find Kohdi. I agree theres definately a good little quest there. Is his sword visibly equipped or is it in his inventory? I don't recall running accross him. Maybe if the player spoke to him while the weapon was visible a dialogue option would be available to start off a quest. If theres anything lying around his room it could start an alternate way. Another quest trigger could be pickpocketing him. It's good when quests can start multiple ways. Maybe you can convince him to come with you to Sky Haven, he may be a drunk because he thinks there are no blades left &/or he was in a nasty incident with the Thalmor. The player could then turn him around & he could become a veteran as Kohdi suggests.

Again, good find, could add another level to the mod.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mod is really shaping up. Cannot wait for the Creation Kit to be released.

The list Andy made was really good, and I agree with most points. Especially the Thalmor War issue, while I would love a mod that includes a war with them, I expect that Bethesda will make DLC for that. The list also avoids having an effect on lore. The Blades would naturally increase, especially after the defeat of Alduin. Though the Blades are no longer very secret considering that at the Negotiation Table in the main quest the Thalmor know who you work with.

Though the Blades are no longer very secret considering that at the Negotiation Table in the main quest the Thalmor know who you work with.

That's a good point Morganite. The Ambassador for the Thalmor would know the Dragonborn is working with the Blades. This would make the Dragonborn even more of a threat to them.

Yep, good thought there Morganite.

From that we have to assume the Thalmor have significantly intensified thier search for the last of the blades & perhaps could have agents looking for the player, who either attack or follow the player when they find him/her. However the blades will still have to be very secretive, perhaps more so to protect Sky Haven & thier new recruits. Seems strange now I recall that meeting, that Delphine would wear the full blades armor to a conference with the main Thalmor representative in Skyrim. Even stranger that they didn't come to blows :). I remember thinking about changing that & making Delphine wear her normal clothes there. I think it may make the Thalmor search for the blades more lively to leave it as-is.

Also I just noticed I forgot to remove references to some journals I was writing when I posted the first list. If anyone was wondering the journal drafts were to be located within a hidden artifact or trophy room in the new lower areas of Sky Haven, which was to house some blades relics and one off items. I hoped to recreate some Oblivion Akaviri items for it. The journals were to have been the explanation of why & how they came to be there. I have a draft of the main one in the event anyone wants to use the general idea at some point.

Great find with Fultheim, I'm just doing some rescripting over the next couple of days for the different roles.

If anyone finds anymore characters like this in-game who might suit a particular role please post or message me.

The Roles are:

Smith

Quartermaster

Prior/Loremaster (One of the Talos Priests within the cities)

Veteran (Fultheim Nightingale Inn is a cabdidate)

Alchemist

Sharpshooter (Angi southeast of Falkreath is a candidate)

Wizard

Thief

We don't want to pick NPCs leaving important things behind. Angi gives training in bow and afterwards seems to lose all purpose. vAdrianna Aenicci on the other hand is a shopkeeper in Whiterun and thus leaves an empty spot when taken away. The jobs require isolated, non-quest related (no Dark Brotherhood target and all that stuff), purposeless NPCs or just completely new NPCs.

Jibstaman said it best

Edited by Drytor

We don't want to pick NPCs leaving important things behind. Angi gives training in bow and afterwards seems to lose all purpose. vAdrianna Aenicci on the other hand is a shopkeeper in Whiterun and thus leaves an empty spot when taken away. The jobs require isolated, non-quest related (no Dark Brotherhood target and all that stuff), purposeless NPCs or just completely new NPCs.

If we're looking for existing NPCs to fill our roles, it may be helpful to look further into the main questline, at least the parts involving Delphine and the Blades. I've been watching my sister replay the early parts, and I've noticed a few characters who could be useful. There is the keeper of the Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood (I've lost his name), who appeared to know Delphine (at least worked for her), who could have some knowledge hidden away. There's also Malborn, Delphine's Wood Elf contact in Solitude. I don't know how deep their acquaintance goes, but that's what we're here for. There's also the unavoidable connection between Esbern and the Thieves' Guild in Riften, not necessarily Brynjolf but perhaps a minor member that we can build around (Rune, Sapphire, etc.). Some of these may be useful to us, if only because it's one less person to be made from scratch. Edited by Kohdi

I don't like the idea of removing the innkeeper from the Sleeping Giant but he could certainly be used in quests... As for Malborn he may have died so unless we made him essential and people reverted to him having not died I'd say no. He's in the New Gnisis Cornerclub in Windhelm if he lives and has a DB quest attached to him. Again, as long as members of Guilds don't actually do anything then I personally wouldn't object to using them too much but they are still a part of filling out that particular Guild