Steam updated EXE. now game crashes over and over again

FormerHuman

I was playing Skyrim happy as Larry with my level 21 character, closed the game to do some email checking and when I went back to it, I noticed Steam was updating it. When it finished and I reloaded the game, it proceeded to crash to desktop. Many, many times. Sometimes during loading sections (which it hadn't done to me so far). Steam forums seem to be saying a lot of this as well. Are people here having this problem too? Normally the auto-update feature on Steam is a blessing, but right now it's broken the game and I can't undo it.

Hi i've the same problem about Skyrim. Saturday i could play but yesteday morning the game crashes just after the launcher, when i cliked on "play". But i don't know i there was an update...

The update only came today it seems so your issues are probably unrelated, which is unfortunate as it would probably help you to work out what's wrong with it. The issues relating to the update all seem to be during the game.

A lot of people altered the exe (myself included) to allow the game to support more than 2gb RAM, which popular theory is what the update is restricting, which might be resulting in all the crashes, however I tried deleting the new TESV.exe file and getting steam to verify the file cache and go on to redownload the file from fresh, with no better results, so there's something in this update that's really screwing things up for a lot of people. I've already had a good 43 hours of gameplay on my character now in just over a week (loving this game) with occasional crashes of a similar nature, but nothing nearly as frequent as this, and I've read some reportsthat the game becomes more unstable as you go along, perhaps in relation to the ever increasing size of the save game file.

where to to see the game version?how do i know there even was an update?.and way steem dont just ask ppl if they whant to update?

It would appear that the update is from Steam and that's where the problem is coming from, apparently in order to prevent modified EXE's from working. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244649

Check the 'modified' date on the TESV.exe file, if it's got today's date, you know you've been Tango'd.

code 51 error, try this URL "http://social.bioware.com/forum/3/topic/93/index/871967" (sorry i'm french i hope you'll understand ^^). Look the second post; it could help you.

From what I can make out from Google's attempt at translating the page, there is a similar error that some people are having that came up with Mass Effect some months ago? As far as I'm aware, the actual error code that comes up is only when the executable is modified to fix the 'large address' problem, after it has been updated by Steam (the hotfix being there to prevent alterations from working). Most people are not getting the error code but simply getting a lot of CTD.

k,i had a buckup exe that i crated when i download the "largest adress mod" so i just paste it on the update exe from steam.

so.. the game the dtaebase was update,but i use the old exe..

If you mean what I think, that you'll just use the old exe, that might work, but I'm not sure what safeguards Steam has in place to over-write it. As for re-applying the LA mod on the NEW exe, that will probably just break it even more.