TES 4 listed in Skyrim's main esm file?

Grothos

I was taking a look at the .esm files with a hex editor, just curious about what I could actually make out, when I noticed that the header on the files read TES4. Not TES5 as I would have expected. So I was just curious if anyone has tried using Oblivion's Creation Set with a fake Oblivion.exe file to try and modify the Skyrim .esm files? I know some have been using the editor that BETH released for Fallout using a fake executable with various degrees of success.

There also seems to be a lot of markers which hit at the data format being the same as or at least derived from Oblivion's .esm file format.

PS. if anyone needs any of the Ids for objects, types, enchantments, ect... I believe I can help, so if you have any specific requests make them and I will try to track them down while I have time tonight...

I was taking a look at the .esm files with a hex editor, just curious about what I could actually make out, when I noticed that the header on the files read TES4. Not TES5 as I would have expected. So I was just curious if anyone has tried using Oblivion's Creation Set with a fake Oblivion.exe file to try and modify the Skyrim .esm files?

What hex editor are you using? If it's designed to edit TES4 files you may have answered your own question here. Not trying to sound snarky... just sayin'.

I am using one that for general software debugging, its the standard hex editor in MS Visual Studios 2010 Professional.

So this is not an issue.

The actual file first four chars read TES4 which I am assuming is its file header designation. More simply put the files first four chars are essentially declaring that the file is intended for TES4:Oblivion...

As far as I know, no one has been using Oblivion's construction kit or the GECK to open up Skyrim.esm. Unofficial tools like TESSnip and FNVEdit have some success though.

You might also like to look at Skyrim Viewer, available here on Skyrim Nexus.

Cipscis