Skyrim rocks

ScorpionHunter

Decided to make some kind of my observations with Skyrim, I compare some of them to Oblivion, just you can see how much Skyrim is different and better than the old buggy oblivion with millions of mods, of which 99% was useless.

Things I like about the game:

- Character jumping animations, they improved these very much from Oblivion

- Character jumping, you can't get stuck in the air when jumping like in Oblivion

- Totally new engine and you can feel it

- Extremely varied and nice colors

- People talking to you even your just running by which is good - I always want to chat with people to get to know them

- Merchants not buying your stuff, maximizing time consumed gaming when running back and forth from store to store, more gaming time

- Game user interface, well thought fast responsive, informational

- Great RPG elements on how to build your character

- Technical wonder, runs perfectly even on most oldest hardware

- Updates, you can get free Steam updates, so your game stays stabile and gets new numerous features without your interaction

- Bug free, apparently game has gone thru very throughout testing period, since you hardly can see any bugs in the game

- Price, very good considering how much you get to do in the game and all features are really working

- Balance, very well thought classes - all completely balanced - you can make any kind of toon, and it gets better in whatever he's doing, what we didn't

have in Oblivion for example

- Companions - advanced AI party members, so you don't need to go alone, they are always there behind you watching your back

- No same textures in world (like in Oblivion) - when you enter for example to an inn, you can feel the refreshness when seeing something totally new

- Exciting story

- Cooking, for every meal you make you get at least 1 coin more when selling it instead of raw indegredients

- Dual wielding, you can't block - it would have been unrealistic to make toon to raise other hand to block incoming anyway

- People hitting you 2 meters away with dagger, gives that realistic feeling that you have to stay alert (like in Oblivion)

- NPCs enemies well made AI for them, like a real thing, they even seem to think before doing anything harsh

What I don't like

- Much Loot

- Some parts of graphics

- Detailed armors, clothing

- Killing moves

- hmm

- hmm-- indeed - I guess game is just too good to have any more negative sides.

Well that's all I could thought of, Probably forgot many things but anyway wanted to write this.

It seems to me that you have "rocked" every simple aspect of the game, that most people complain about. Things like UI, bugs, Steam..

This is so strange :psyduck:

EDIT:

Don't get me wrong, I'm mostly neutral when it comes to such things, but your comment striked me down, compared to what I've been reading on these boards these days. I enjoy my game as much as I can, if something is broke or I just don't like it, I hope a patch or a mod will fix it. There's enough bad blood spilled out there already.

Edited by Pushkatu

Yeah the game does rock but some patching is needed in the next month.

Good story so far, if not lacking a certain epic feel I like in my games. I mean at first I was like "s*** no DX11" but it was not missed in the Witcher 2 at all imo. Though BF3/Crysis 2 are very very good looking games because of it but don't have the depth of Skyrim-so I would choose the depth every day of the week.

Some of the texture are very murky for 1080p MAX settings-mainly noticed on the Companions armor in the fur on the greaves/fur on Arch-mage robes. Not too bothered as it is an RPG so the visuals are not close to being the main attraction. Also the modders have taken care of some stuff already-face/body detail and getting rid of the blocky noses.

Though the bugs in the game (arrow/ice spike getting stuck) don't really bother me some other ones do.

For example, Bonechill Cave crashing every time you enter it making its related mission non-completable at this point. The Mordekai(I think that is right lol) mask causing your head to disappear and the Werewolf running attack not always working on a target.

Those bugs annoy me. Also not loving he magic at the moment. Game still rocks and I have like 42 hours gameplay so far an by the time I am done/bored with this game I anticipate that to reach over the 120hrs mark. Easily worth the 34 quid I spent on it.

Edited by dorkSIDES

Decided to make some kind of my observations with Skyrim, I compare some of them to Oblivion, just you can see how much Skyrim is different and better than the old buggy oblivion with millions of mods, of which 99% was useless.

There is still some bugs, some really minor,and others anoying.

Things I like about the game:

- Character jumping animations, they improved these very much from Oblivion

- Character jumping, you can't get stuck in the air when jumping like in Oblivion

Sorry...,but Skyrim jump is just a little bit less Moonjump style then Oblivion, but its still really unrealistic, or even so unaesthetic.

- Totally new engine and you can feel it

- Extremely varied and nice colors

Agreed.

- People talking to you even your just running by which is good - I always want to chat with people to get to know them

- Merchants not buying your stuff, maximizing time consumed gaming when running back and forth from store to store, more gaming time

While interaction with NPC's are nice, the fact that you can't at least sell all you want, is a bit ridiculous, but thats just mho.

- Game user interface, well thought fast responsive, informational

Wrong about that, the UI is cold,unfriendly and not so easy to shuffle throught ,when you click on something you end up selecting the other things above or under, what you wanted to select.

There is so much ways where they could've make the UI just fine,but as much as Oblivion UI was a pain in the @ss to go through, Skyrim Menus are just sligthly less horrible,but still not optimal.

- Technical wonder, runs perfectly even on most oldest hardware

Depends on what the player is aiming for his experience,but all in all the game is pretty damn good.

- Updates, you can get free Steam updates, so your game stays stabile and gets new numerous features without your interaction

Steam.Is.A.*censored* to install games...,ts is Bethesda worst decision...,it was a real torture to install Skyrim and be able to play it...,and i had bought the game in a store!,so why do i need to go the hassle of Steam to play my game?...

If i want updates,i just search for it,Steam is mking peoples lazy..., and of what i've know the last patch f***ed up really hard.

- Bug free, apparently game has gone thru very throughout testing period, since you hardly can see any bugs in the game

Mmh...i saw a few funny and anoying bugs..., a Dragon that becomes completly invisible... or even a quest item stuck under the ground so that it becomes impossible to pick up.

- Price, very good considering how much you get to do in the game and all features are really working

Don't think price would have changed anything.

- Balance, very well thought classes - all completely balanced - you can make any kind of toon, and it gets better in whatever he's doing, what we didn't have in Oblivion for example

Again you're wrong, while the open Perks and talents systeme is nice,its not well balanced and some design choices are at best strange at worst useless.

Also the fact that there is no way to Respec your Perks points means that if you made a mistake,you just lost a Perk Point for the rest of the game,also this systeme obligats you to take Perks you don't need/use to get a Perk you absolutly need for your Character ingame RP development.

A systeme where you could choose a Perk regardless of what Perks you unlocked before as long as you have a Perk of the same Tier and that your Skill lvl is high enough,would have given much more freedom and creativity opportunity's.

- Companions - advanced AI party members, so you don't need to go alone, they are always there behind you watching your back

True that Skyrim Companions are less stupid and gets less in your way during a fight then in Oblivion, but the fact that they get damaged if you throw an AoE spell is really a bother,you end up killing you're own companions more then they are killed by your Foes...

- No same textures in world (like in Oblivion) - when you enter for example to an inn, you can feel the refreshness when seeing something totally new

- Exciting story

- Cooking, for every meal you make you get at least 1 coin more when selling it instead of raw indegredients

Those i agree with.

- Dual wielding, you can't block - it would have been unrealistic to make toon to raise other hand to block incoming anyway

Wich is stupid...,on the contrairy you have more chances to block an incoming blow with two weapons, never heard of "Cross guard"?...

- People hitting you 2 meters away with dagger, gives that realistic feeling that you have to stay alert (like in Oblivion)

Wich is even more stupid...

- NPCs enemies well made AI for them, like a real thing, they even seem to think before doing anything harsh

For that its true that ennemy's behaviour is much more realistic,then just charging at you.

What I don't like

- Much Loot

- Some parts of graphics

- Detailed armors, clothing

- Killing moves

- hmm

- hmm-- indeed - I guess game is just too good to have any more negative sides.

You can add that the fact that you can't block with a one weapon/magic combo is also as stupid as to be not able to block with two weapons...

In an era where all the mouses on the planete as at least 4 buttons or even 12 buttons for some of them...,would it be difficult to give the block action to another mouse button then the right mouse click?...

Also why in the hell could'n they keep the way launching magic worked in Oblivion, no matter you had your hands full with swords and shield, you could still use it.

All of this problems comes from the fact that Skyrim was developped with console gameplay in mind, and not PC first and then consoles,like Oblivion.

So yeah it would have been difficult for Bethesda to make something that works for both even so, even if by pressing the triggers on a 360/ps3 controller for using what you have in your hands, why in the hell just not give the magic to another button and still can use it?

You spend 80% of the time ingame, during your battles in the Favorite menu switching from one layout to another...,if i play a game,its because i wanna play it!, i don't want to pause the freaking thing every 3 seconds!!

But i hope that this issue(wich for me is the biggest) will be fixed in a futur patch or in a futur mod.

But apart from that, i enjoy every last bit of this game, and as Oblivion before it, i wish this game stay as active for the 6 to 10 years to come!

Agree totally with the OP, except for the negatives.

What's wrong with killing moves? I find the occasional beheading of bandits quite satisfying.

I response to Chaosrex:

Wrong about that, the UI is cold,unfriendly and not so easy to shuffle throught ,when you click on something you end up selecting the other things above or under, what you wanted to select.

There is so much ways where they could've make the UI just fine,but as much as Oblivion UI was a pain in the @ss to go through, Skyrim Menus are just sligthly less horrible,but still not optimal.

The OP can't be wrong - he is just stating an opinion, and so are you.

While your objections are technically correct - you your self admit that Skyrim's UI is better than Oblivion's - and I agree.

The UI is fine - while not perfect it is without doubt better than Oblivion's ever was, for both PC and Console users.

It seems you and ScorpionHunter both agree, I guess the difference is whether you are a 'the glass is half empty, or half full' kind of person.

And while it irks me that PC is no longer the main (or only) concern for game-developers, I'm prepared to face reality.

Every modern game that wants to earn money has to work on the three platforms, and that means some compromises must be made.

Steam.Is.A.*censored* to install games...,ts is Bethesda worst decision...,it was a real torture to install Skyrim and be able to play it...,and i had bought the game in a store!,so why do i need to go the hassle of Steam to play my game?...

If i want updates,i just search for it,Steam is mking peoples lazy..., and of what i've know the last patch f***ed up really hard.

I personally as an old school gamer would like to download & install by patches myself , but I work with computers and know what I'm doing.

The reality is that all software is becoming simpler and simpler to use for everyone, and that means automatic patching is required,

and the majority of users have no clue what they are doing - so it most certainly reduces the number of support-cases the developer companies has to handle.

Almost every major game release the last year has had Steam for DRM and Patching, so Bethesda can't be faulted for selecting it.

While I would like to not have to register offline games online, that is the future - and it can't be stopped.

The only way you can avoid Steam nowadays is to stop playing games.

I'm not prepared to do that, I'm thankful that all game-studios seem to have decided that Steam is one and only framework. Steam is the lesser evil - at leas it's not GFWL...

Anyway, complainers will keep complaining - that's every forum's life blood.

This thread will soon die, as there's no point in arguing with someone that don't spout nonsense. ;)