What's the process for preparing a mesh to put in-game?

WJS97

I've edited one of the weapons workbench models in Blender to my liking, and fixed the diffuse map to work with the new parts of the mesh, however, I don't know where to proceed from this point onwards...

My model has 3 different meshes/objects:

• The Drill
  • The Bench itself
  • The fuel and oxy tanks for the cutting tool

I have the Diffuse, Specular and Normal maps for each of these parts in a file. I'm not sure if I have to apply them to the mesh in Blender and then simply export it to .NIF format, or if I have to give each part the same name as its respective texture and put the textures in my data folder alongside the new mesh and have the game link them up?

I apologise if what I'm saying sounds playing stupid but I'm extremely new to this sort of thing, I plan on making an alternate version of one of the weapons workbenches but for now I'd just like to be able to view my model with the textures in-game to make sure it's all okay.

Would some kind soul be willing to give me a run down and what I'm going to have to do to get my mesh and its textures in-game properly? I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Hey WJS97! I'd be happy to help out if I can, but I'm completely Blender-illiterate (I can get as far as opening the program, then screaming in terror with no idea what to do for the next hour until I close the program). I've been using NifSkope.

When I bring a custom mesh into the game, it's one single mesh. If you have three different meshes to create one single item (e.g., a workbench) you might be best off combining them before moving onto the part where you get them in-game. As far as the game files layout goes, your meshes will be in the data/meshes folder (you can make yourself a subfolder too if you like, as long as it's in data/meshes) and your textures should be in data/textures (again, subfolder if you want). If you're using a bgsm for the textures, you'd put that in data/materials but have it directing to the textures in data/textures.

For my learning, I watched Elianora's videos on mesh mashups and retextures-- http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11701/?

I've got these bookmarked for if I ever learn Blender so they might be good for you http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14741/?

I did the Wrong Thing and learned my way around Creation Kit by poking all the things and seeing what crashed and what didn't, but these tutorials look good: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10763/? (also asking people to look over what I did as I went)

And I found NifSkope, FO4Edit, Bethesda Archive Extractor and Material Editor to be very useful programs for poking around in files to see how stuff works and how to apply it to new items.