[Planned] Travel to Cyrodiil Mod

Diabolickal

This project would be a huge undertaking, it would require at least 100 people to do it in a half sensible time frame (if you wanted to do it right).

I support this, but let me suggest, instead of making clone copies of Morrowind and Oblivion, make them set in a different era, like before Uriel was king, or perhaps during his early rule. That would ensure the experience is fresh for people who have played both of the prequels, and maximize it's potential playability.

Funny that i recently had a dream of all 3 great games joined together, thought i needed to comment on this.

EDIT: Regarding the legalities of this project, maybe it's worth asking Bethesda for permission before you undertake any part of it, after all it's strictly non-profit.

Edited by surg23

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would require at least 100 people

Which is hardly possible. I think you migt get lucky to breach 20 if the project is something the mass wants. As of now, mostly non-modders want these project.

I got an example. A certain dwarf mod in the making, a huge mod, got 5-6 skilled modders. Darkshine: Twilight, a nocturnal realm mod, got 10. As you see, getting over 15 skilled modders is hard, very hard.

make them set in a different era

Isn't the original idea to set it in this era? As in 200 years after Oblivion, and after the Thalmor invasion. In this time the Thalmor conquered Cyrodiil, but got kicked out. A lot of damage would be done to the Imperial CIty, and Cyrodiil as a whole.

Could be a nice place to place a few Thalmor spies here and there, and all that.

But as you said yourself, this is a big project It is easily a 3+ year project, by skilled modders.

I like to say this to anybody who plans big mods:

If you havn't done a 1 year+ mod before, stop right there. You don't know how much patience and work you need to put into this.

If you're not a good modeller/texturere/level designer/scripter, stop right there. You won't get far without experience and knowledge. You don't know the work you set before you.

If you don't got a mod team, stop right there. You won't get a team by telling your ideas, or your plan. You need to find 1-2 persons and start building. Perhaps when you've made 1 city, and shown people that you are serious, you might get more. After perhaps a year, you will get 10-15 modders.

I know everybody wants to make big mods, but they take time. A guy said something on the official forums a few years back to adress this: Take how long you think it takes to it. Multiply it by 3. Double that. Now you got half of the time required.

Yes, it is blown out quite a lot, but the point comes across the border. If a person havn't modded a big mod before, or modded at all, they got no idea how much work they need to put aside. We talk about working on a mod daily, or at least weekly, for years.

Instead of re-creating places where we have already been to, why not make an alternative place? For people that have completed Oblivion it won't be as exciting going there.

Nevertheless, if you are completely determined to do this, then I wish you good luck. It would be a great addition since extra content is always a good thing.

Sounds cool love the idea, It would be like the mod made for FONV. You could got to DC (FO3) All the quests NPCs and stuff was there was cool.

But would there not be issues with the graphics and stuff? I mean look at Skyrim then Oblivion.

I dunno but love the idea!

it would require at least 100 people

Which is hardly possible. I think you migt get lucky to breach 20 if the project is something the mass wants. As of now, mostly non-modders want these project.

I got an example. A certain dwarf mod in the making, a huge mod, got 5-6 skilled modders. Darkshine: Twilight, a nocturnal realm mod, got 10. As you see, getting over 15 skilled modders is hard, very hard.

make them set in a different era

Isn't the original idea to set it in this era? As in 200 years after Oblivion, and after the Thalmor invasion. In this time the Thalmor conquered Cyrodiil, but got kicked out. A lot of damage would be done to the Imperial CIty, and Cyrodiil as a whole.

Could be a nice place to place a few Thalmor spies here and there, and all that.

But as you said yourself, this is a big project It is easily a 3+ year project, by skilled modders.

I like to say this to anybody who plans big mods:

If you havn't done a 1 year+ mod before, stop right there. You don't know how much patience and work you need to put into this.

If you're not a good modeller/texturere/level designer/scripter, stop right there. You won't get far without experience and knowledge. You don't know the work you set before you.

If you don't got a mod team, stop right there. You won't get a team by telling your ideas, or your plan. You need to find 1-2 persons and start building. Perhaps when you've made 1 city, and shown people that you are serious, you might get more. After perhaps a year, you will get 10-15 modders.

I know everybody wants to make big mods, but they take time. A guy said something on the official forums a few years back to adress this: Take how long you think it takes to it. Multiply it by 3. Double that. Now you got half of the time required.

Yes, it is blown out quite a lot, but the point comes across the border. If a person havn't modded a big mod before, or modded at all, they got no idea how much work they need to put aside. We talk about working on a mod daily, or at least weekly, for years.

The way i see it is, he is going to re-create (not port) Morrowind and oblivion and mesh them with Skyrim, in which case he will need 100+ or more people to get it done within 3 years, since Oblivion alone took 4 years with a professional development team of 268 people.

With that said, i really doubt this project will ever get off the ground, as much as i would like to see it happen. Simply too much work. I don't quite think this guy has thought about just how much work is involved with this.

He would need to dedicate 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 years to get it done by himself. Without mass support from the modding community this is just an idea and nothing more. Sadly i don't have such services to offer.

The way i see it is, he is going to re-create (not port) Morrowind and oblivion and mesh them with Skyrim, in which case he will need 100+ or more people to get it done within 3 years, since Oblivion alone took 4 years with a professional development team of 268 people.

With some reused content, and a 15-person-mod team, it could be remade within 5 years. Though by that time a new game might as well be out.

With that said, i really doubt this project will ever get off the ground, as much as i would like to see it happen. Simply too much work. I don't quite think this guy has thought about just how much work is involved with this.

None of the "Let's remake X or make X game/movie into Skyrim!" knows. Not to sound like an idiot, but 95% of thoose are non-modders who have done nothing but made a house in Oblivion. They don't know the meaning of the word "dedication". Most of the big projects are allready started, and have been in pre-production for a few months now.

He would need to dedicate 16 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 years to get it done by himself. Without mass support from the modding community this is just an idea and nothing more. Sadly i don't have such services to offer.

The problem is, there isn't a too big mod community. Some might think so, but the mass are non-modders who perhaps want to learn to mod. The good modellers ad texturers are busy with other things, the proffesionals are freelancing for games and perhaps to paid work and otherwise the "famous" people got their own project. We are now left with new modders and a few veterans who might give advices, but that's it.

A good example is the thread that was up a few weeks ago. A guy did a "If you can draw it, I can model it!". 1 week later that had 30 reply, where each reply had 4 pictures. I don't think a single of thoose model was made, because of the massive overflow of requests he got.

My point being that there is only a few % modders out there, and the rest being people who want to learn, or people who just want to play. Neither is going to be helpfull in a big mod.

That said, if one of these big project does get off the ground, I wish them good luck. As long as they are dedicated enough, got enough sparetime and stay inside the legal ground, then it is all good.

I planned to do the same think just for the North of cyrodiil , When the Creation Pack will come out i will send you a pm And i hope we will be able to work together and maybe other people on it :) .

Rebuild the totality of cyrodiil is a completely crazy idea , i love it ♥ .

Edited by KratosAurion777

Not sure if it was suggested, and I don't want to read all 11 pages, but from what lore I have gathered cyrodiil is hell right now. With the arrival of the thalmor, and the semi fall of the empire due to the lack of the septim blood line having an heir back those 200 years ago s**t hit the fan and splattered quite far. I would say traveling to cyrodiil would be awesome, but it should be falling apart.

The mages guild is disbanded, so rouge mages would be every where. The Dark Brotherhood sanctuary was destroyed, so any assassins that are left should be in hiding, not sure as to what is going on with the fighters guild, maybe a bunch of lowly mercenaries now? The thieves guild...hmmm idk, cowl of nocturnal is lost and nocturnal is pissed?

I nearly just made a whole new game :D

Oh and something interesting to consider, oblivion gates are opening here and there due to not having the dragonfires for so long, and guess who can relight them now :D but the temple was destroyed...hmm.... Story plot unfolds ^_^

Edited by leot486

Sounds cool love the idea, It would be like the mod made for FONV. You could got to DC (FO3) All the quests NPCs and stuff was there was cool.

But would there not be issues with the graphics and stuff? I mean look at Skyrim then Oblivion.

I dunno but love the idea!

we wouldn't import any oblivion files due to copyright if you had read the forum you will read that we are planing to completely rebuild oblivion aka start from scratch

This:

Rumor has it the Cyrodil and Morrowind provinces are already in the game just not populated. Best method would be to attempt to import oblivion assets into skyrim i.e plants, trees, rocks, etc etc and have them imported into the game.

Sadly its highly likly that the world cooridnates are differnt from the oblivion ones. Though in theory if you do the math you can have them converted. Thus being able to import location data on various items. However, this all highly dependent on the fact that the cyrodil/Vvardenfel areas are the same scale as they were in their games.

The quickest and easiest way to attempt this mod would be for a total world conversion of the TES 4:Oblivion map over to TES 5:Skyrim, as the landmass is already available. Modders from there can edit the maps to make it seem like 200 years have passed, with respect to the lore of course. As for legal issues... Meh. Work on the big picture first i.e. the entire map, status of Cyrodill, main storyline etc. The details can come at a later date i.e. npc dialogues, side quests etc, as they are far less significant when compared to the big picture.

Edited by dudlete