Fallout 4 - Nifs and Skeletons

Deleted19761User

So I am working on a brand new jetpack model for Fallout 4 and I have tried following a few tutorials about moving my model from 3DS Max into NIF format and then using the Outfit Studio to place it and then weight it. I get how to do that process in 3DS max, but I do not get how it's supposed to work in Outfit studio. The "Copy Bones" function doesn't seem to work... else I'm doing something wrong somewhere?

After getting this part to work, I know my way around the CK and game implementation, it's just this darn middle part that's really frustrating.

I really wish Bethesda would release some official tools for us to use that aren't 17 year old practices from the Morrowind days.

Edited by Guest

So I am working on a brand new jetpack model for Fallout 4 and I have tried following a few tutorials about moving my model from 3DS Max into NIF format and then using the Outfit Studio to place it and then weight it. I get how to do that process in 3DS max, but I do not get how it's supposed to work in Outfit studio. The "Copy Bones" function doesn't seem to work... else I'm doing something wrong somewhere?

After getting this part to work, I know my way around the CK and game implementation, it's just this darn middle part that's really frustrating.

I really wish Bethesda would release some official tools for us to use that aren't 17 year old practices from the Morrowind days.

Hi, Sorry im not able to help much cause i never did fallout 4 stuff yet.

I would be surprised if u cant export skin right out of 3dsmax tho.

As far as i know the bethesda has nothing to do with any of the many tools that have been released for 3d asset creation since morrowind. We can consider the creators of these to be members of our great modding community.

Edit.

U said something about skeltons but there is no worry about a skeeleton. a jetpack is generally on ur back so u just put it on the existing vertebral bones. The flat bone ninodes on the outfit nif is just position and name referencing the existing skeleton.nif.

Edited by baduk

I've since gotten an updated NIF exporter for 3DS Max, got the correct bone setup and exported out of there nice and clean, Now the problem is assigning materials to the multiple parts of this jet pack is crashing nifskope and it's getting extremely frustrating. WHY Bethesda can't give us some better ****ing tools to work with so this isn't such a pain to do, is beyond me. It's a wonder they get anything done with how dated this freaking game engine is.

EDIT : Second problem I am having with Nifskope (it's the latest build available) is that the DDS textures I have made the meshes go invisible when I assign them to their respective slots under the BSLightingShaderProperty node, specifically with the diffuse textures in particular. I've used the Intel Texture Works plugin for my version of photoshop..

Edited by Guest

As far as i know the bethesda has nothing to do with any of the many tools that have been released for 3d asset creation since morrowind. We can consider the creators of these to be members of our great modding community.

The modding community is not at the mercy of any company to enable us to mod their game. and will never be.

With nifskope you may b needing a specific version of nif.xml or other specialy modified tools because its fallout 4.

I just recengly got back into modding and the skyrim with blender i am using 2 versions of nifskope, both are older versions , and my export scripts have been modified 2.49b version. And i still am going to have to use 3dsmax, and ripped from our grasp by microsoft havok sdk in order to add hdt physiced floppy parts to an armors.

Niftools is havingt to support not just fallout 4, its every game in the world that u havent heard of them but is using the gamebryo engine.

So i get ur frustration. I been feeling it before and most of other ppl who did a mod or another one. I want to explain to you that no company is going to help u ever. I mean in real life it may happen but not intentionally. The ppl who did help u are doing so for free of money and its alot like how it is when u make a mod and decided to release it.

Behd released the creation kits and gecks but even if they never released em there are programmers in community who would create this software even if it takes a coupla few years to get it finished. and it would end up being alot better than the janky software we got from beth.

So advice fixing your problem. i cant do much but its maybe just a small detail. but it can easily be caused by not having the correct version of tools or even a component of tools such as nif.xml. Hope this points ur direction good.

All my tools are up to date. As previously stated.

Now that's out of the way, for anyone who is a 3DS Max user this Niftool plugin for the newer versions (no longer supports the older versions but still works for them) : https://github.com/figment/max_nif_plugin/releases/tag/3.8.0 this ought to help you out, it imports clean and exports clean as far as I can tell.

Edited by Guest

So incase my problem isn't clear it is the following :

I've made a new jet pack, barrowed the bone from the default, weight painted it and exported it out of 3DS max ( did it through Bodyslide before) opened it in Nifskope to set the materials / textures in their place. Okay? So far so good..

Except when I assign the DDS textures to their slots in Nifskope the models go invisible. When I assign the material data, Nifskope crashes... And I can't figure out what is wrong or where I went wrong, because I've tried it both ways now, to only get the same results.

I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has successfully done some armor modifications.