my wish - blocking is 98% successful + bashing takes no stamina

topeira

wolfstriker, i agree with most of what you said, as if i said it myself :)

if this was an action game than many of the combat issues would become moot. ppl want to feel they are empowering their character yet it has it's price and then ppl complain about it's price.

basically im complaining about the price as well, BUT i would do without the RPGness a bit.

i think that if enemies would not get healthier and the PC wouldnt get more health points either than i wouldnt complain. The things that DO change as you progress and level up are the weapons and perks and damage you DEAL. not TAKE. i think gaining up to 180 or even 200 HP is the max that the PC should get. humans that dont have armor should have a reasonable ability to take damage - about 2 hits from a 2H or 1 power attack, and 4 hits from a 1H weapon or 3 power attacks. something like that. armor could increase resistense to damage, so an armor that has rating of 20 is actually 20% resistant to damage - a character that would go down in 4 hits will go down with 5. armor that has rating of 80 is 80% resistent. enemy that would go down in 4 hits would go down in 7. humans should go down quickly. same goes for the player.

damage output relies on the weapon. a weapon that does 15 will do 15 damage. a weapon that does 50 will do 50 damage. simple. only the PC can upgrade his damage output and even that only to a certain extent.

the results of upgrading your character is the perks! like in games like Batman - you mostly gain gameplay mechanics when u level up so the game retains it's balance throughout.

i'd embrace a mod that does that. i am fully ready for a mod that makes bandits in heavy armor take 5 power attacks from my axe as long as i can take the same amount if i have an equivalent armor. only i am stronger cuz i have shouts, magic, sprint and other perks that the PC has and the enemy doesnt have. also if the PC learns to upgrade his smithing or crafting than he can upgrade his gear which will result in more damage output and give his attacks an edge over an enemy that has a simple equivalent weapon.

but this is a conversation that, while to me it's interesting, is for a different subject :P im derailing my own thread :)

but i also agree how many skin textures mods are there for the smallest of adjustments yet barely any gameplay mods. i know certain things cannot be changed yet without the CK, but i am pretty sure if arrow flight speed can be changed than blocking effectiveness can be changed as well. just guessing here.

i hope that once the CK gets here we will see something more in the lines of deadly reflex mod - time blocking is better than hold blocking, timing strikes for greater damage, bashing for different effects and staggering from normal attacks.

since im pretty sure staggering has a variable that determines their length than a really short stagger should be applied to all hits (with , hopefully, a tweak to the AI as well to balance this).

Power bashing just takes WAY too much stamina in my opinion. As for blocking, the stamina seems to decrease a lot more depending on the damage blocked. The best use of the shield is in defending against elemental attacks/arrows while charging a mage/archer but once close, keep them staggered with the simple bash.

And enchant your equipment with stamina regen boosts, not the max stamina itself.

Power bashing just takes WAY too much stamina in my opinion. As for blocking, the stamina seems to decrease a lot more depending on the damage blocked. The best use of the shield is in defending against elemental attacks/arrows while charging a mage/archer but once close, keep them staggered with the simple bash.

And enchant your equipment with stamina regen boosts, not the max stamina itself.

power bashing takes a lot of stamina because there is no opponent it doesnt stagger. basically power bash means u are free to follow with any type of attack you want. thats why its costly.

i wonder how the combat will look like if normal attacks take stamina but stagger unblocking enemies and enemies that do normal attacks (not power attacks) and while bashing takes a lot less stamina and does nearly no damage but staggers longer if done while being attacked and it's the only thing that stops a power attack.

and normal attacks done when no stamina is available do less damage and never stagger (like in vanilla).

i wonder if this will break combat or not.

Yep,I agree that Skyrim would shine as an actionRPG type game.So many things to change though.;(.As you said,make the numbers balance out so that you stay in the sweet spot of combat and just feel slightly stronger or slightly weaker then most enemies(with more tactics at disposal like shouts you will be able to fight a greater number of humans than is normal in real life.Say a human goes down with one power attack from a two hander and 2 power attacks from a one hander when wearing no armor .This may seem drastic but you have armor and blocks/evade to save oneself.Armor should be slight damage reduction....say a person always has health of 120 and a good two hander has 40 points damage and deals 60 when power striking so two hits to kill with no armor....then armor can range from 10 to 30 points of protection so at 30AC you get hit for 30 points from a 2handed power attack and will go down in 4 hits(armor in real life is not that good and is more to absorb what part of an attack gets thru a block,meaning you will never survive a war axe to the head in real life)

Then add in good blocking and you can take say 8 power attacks 2handed style before death,its fantasy afterall and the Dwarven or better armors just looks like they can absorb a lot of damage.That will make for super intense combat.Ever fight a few dudes in game and your attacking/blocking back and forth...makes the combat shine IMO.Last night I went from top difficulty down one notch and most goons gave a good realistic fight but the bosses(bandit chief etc) had me dropping down another notch in difficulty to feel right.Just having goons in studded armor at 10AC is enough to make the Boss at 30AC feel powerful after all.10AC makes for less than 3 power attack direct hit kills and that is enuff compared to 4 for the boss.

Now to further this,make the 5 ranks heavy armor first perk work like this.The lowest AC armor in game is 10 but when worn by a character with no perk points in Juggernaut its 5.So with no points the armors gain in AC like this 5/10/15/20/25 and with 5 points the armor when worn gives 10/15/20/25/30.Of course get rid of the silly armor perks like 25% reduction in damage if you wear a complete armor set and others like the no slowdown when wearing heavy armor perk.As for speed of characters,all humans could have the same speed but each AC you go up you drop down in speed.This will make for some sweet fights wearing light armor and jinking all over the place.Just needs to be tweaked so that its hard to move out of the way of incoming blows but doable with effort.

Magic needs to be nerfed a lot like making sttack spells that cause no magicka loss and act like archery from afar.You can duel wield same spell to power attack.Its all in just balancing the numbers.

Alas,it will probably never see the light since it will probably be a lot of work to tweak.There is also magical weapons afterall. :D :wallbash:

T

Edited by wolfstriker