Request: "Fix" Fists of Steel

Yumil

Hand to hand has been gutted in this game. There is no dedicated perk tree for it, and very few modifiers for it, all of which make it somewhat useful early game and completely useless late game.

The Fists of Steel perk, in my mind, was going to be the only thing that could possibly make this form of combat viable outside of brawls. Bethesda in their infinite knowledge decided that the damage modifier would have to be based on the base armor rating of your gauntlets. That means the max damage one can do unarmed as a Khajiit is 61. When you throw in that you are removing poisons from weapons and enchants from weapons you realize this is a really low amount of damage for someone who is focused on it. Add in the insane crafting you can do and the damage itself is laughable. Whats sad is the perk only mentions armor rating, not base, thus leading to a lot of confusion.

This is where my request comes in. I don't know how doable it is till the creation kit is in, but I'm sure it'll be a must use mod as soon as it is released. The damage modifier needs to use the modified value instead of the unmodified base value. I feel that is a good enough fix for now and would allow unarmed to scale with crafting just as all other other damage skills do. Also, heavy armor enchants, juggernaut, and the like would be welcome in a build even if the only heavy armor used is the gauntlets.

In conclusion, I feel that changing how Fists of Steel works will add to the game in making hand to hand fighting much more viable. They put in quite a few finishers for it and I feel it goes to waste when the combat is that subpar.

Would using 2x or 3x the armor rating be acceptable?

It could as a stopgap before one that can actually use the real modified value can be made. The idea is to make it how the game describes it instead of the gimpness it is.