Fix for flickering shadows. Also how to change the way shadow timesca

SlayingMellow

• 4 weeks later...

Someone mentioned the crappy shadows like in breezehome.

They REALLY annoy me, I came across this thread while searching for a solution.

here's a picture to show u what i have to deal with:

http://cubeupload.com/im/VKkonF.png

So does anybody know a solution for this? Maybe an edit to one of the .ini's? a console command? perhaps a mod?

the firelight from the cooking fire give me all kinds of issue in Whiterun so the only way to avoid it for me is dont buy that upgrade it doesnt finish off the house buy it is just a storage shed for me... until the ck is out and houses can be modded properly they are ALL junk...... too many useless items in them

After some testing with fSunUpdateThreshold and fSunShadowUpdateTime I have found that a good ratio for smooth shadow updates is 20-1. Or 20 drawn shadow increments to 1 sun position update.

fSunShadowUpdateTime=20

fSunUpdateThreshold=1

I have read on other forums that the default setting for sunupdate is 0.500, so I have tested with...

fSunShadowUpdateTime=10

fSunUpdateThreshold=.5

but could see no difference in shadow movement speed or any difference in movement of the sun itself than using whole numbers like 20-1

Also I did not encounter any framerate change between default or 20-1 or the value recommended on the steampower forums which is 0-0. 0-0 is jerky.

From my estimation during testing, the position of the sun in the sky will stay matched to your in game timescale, so anyone using the timescale mod should not have any problem with the sun falling out of sync with the clock. I use timescale 5 and everything looked fine to me, shadows moved the same distance in the same timeframe no matter if I used 10-0.5, 20-1 or even 60-3.

Tested and approved! Perfect balance given the trade-offs.

To others reading this, Martian1 found the right balance here, IMO, because there's a trade off between

1) As the shadows update, they flicker!

2) But if they update too fast, it's like a sudden jump in where the shadows were and where they're updated to.

The 20-1 is a nice middle road where both are least noticeable.

If you do the 10-0.5, then you only need to add the line:

fSunShadowUpdateTime=10

and not:

fSunUpdateThreshold=0.5

because the latter is the default anyway.

• 5 months later...

hey guys,

i'm not sure if the settings here fix a problem i'm having. i'm very sorry i dont know hw to video my gameplay or what i see so try to imagine yes?

anyway, its like the shadows of a certain object shake and move as i walk toward an area. I also experience sudden lighting up of areas as i move near, this is esp so in dungeons. have i done something awfully wrong in my skyrimprefs or skyrim.ini?

Someone mentioned the crappy shadows like in breezehome.

They REALLY annoy me, I came across this thread while searching for a solution.

here's a picture to show u what i have to deal with:

http://cubeupload.com/im/VKkonF.png

So does anybody know a solution for this? Maybe an edit to one of the .ini's? a console command? perhaps a mod?

to fix those issues you need a mod like this one