Do you think horses are compleetly useless in skyrim?

sixcross

Has anyone else noticed the complete uselessness of horses in skyrim? They seem a lot slower then in oblivion and they are more of a hindrance since there are so many hills and slopes. What are your thoughts? Maybe we can get some mods once cs is released to possibly add storage. Have you ever used a horse, or even noticed that they are in skyrim?

They are faster than running and they fight in battle. They aren't bad, but i wish we could interact with them and feed them all the apples and carrots that we pick up. And storage would be nice too. Oh, and to name them too!

They are faster then running but I just feel you can get around faster by avoiding using them (shortcuts, climbing mountains, etc) They have good RP value but besides that I just don't see a use for them.

Given that they handle terrain just as well, if not better than the PC, and it's much faster to get to an undiscovered location by fast traveling nearby and making use of your horse from there, I certainly don't have a problem with them.

The only reason I make sparse use of them is that AFAIK it's impossible to get followers their own horse, so as soon as you take off, they get left in the dust. There will be mods at some stage which fix this though, as well as adding storage. IMO they need a bit of variety in there, ie, Poor combat and storage, but fast vs slowest, excellent combat and very high payload.

Edited by Skevitj

Has anyone else noticed the complete uselessness of horses in skyrim? They seem a lot slower then in oblivion and they are more of a hindrance since there are so many hills and slopes. What are your thoughts? Maybe we can get some mods once cs is released to possibly add storage. Have you ever used a horse, or even noticed that they are in skyrim?

Yep they largely are.

When I got Shadowmere and he was as slow as a normal horse i got made and used the console for the first time in Skyrim. I gave him a 50% speed boost and then he felt just right... fast enough to be worth bothering with. Since then I've used him... but before that, meh :/

I tend to Fast Travel to near where I need to go, then use the Horse to get most of the way. If I encounter tough terrain or too many mobs, I'll hop off and sprint the rest of the way.

Across flatland (like around Whiterun), horses are awesome, but lose their appeal quite quickly around mountainous regions.

Haha I must agree a bit here. The first stables I reached, probably like many others, were the Whiterun ones. Didn't know you could actually ride/buy horsies so I gave it a go.

First reaction was "Hahahaha, oh god, look at it jump", I just couldn't help myself. >.> And mind you, I take Skyrim very serious! Then, well, I used it a bit to travel around, it looked cool but then it started to get incovenient, like some others pointed out, not really handy for the shortcuts in mountains etc... Also a pity you can't name them or feed them, no storage at all. It would've made it so much more realistic. Other than that my other experience with horsies in Skyrim is that they are excellent in getting attention of unwanted enemies.

I'd rather travel by foot. :)

No because they're not much faster than the player running and dismount takes time with a stupid 3rd person animation while the enemies already attack the horse.

The horse should also show how much damage it has taken and run away, at least a few meters (its their natural behavior mostly) when they're attacked. And the attackers should stop following them then and attack the player. Add more realism to them. Allow the purchase of a saddle bag that will allow you to store stuff and make the horse warn you when enemies are near. Make them faster and the dismount also.

I have a real horse and the horses in Skyrim are just silly. ;)

Edited by nasragiel