Disabling mod = CTD on save load, need help

Khtugg

Hi all, I've been a happy camper today playing Fallout 4 again with updated F4SE, but I've hit a snag: A mod I'm updating needs a clean save so I disable the mod with Nexus Mod Manager and then I boot up the game in order to make the new, clean save. However when I load my existing save the screen turns black and a moment later a CTD happens. I don't know how to proceed. But it's gonna be a pain starting a new play through every time I need to make a clean save. Have anyone got any sort of advice or tips on what I should do now?

Thanks for reading.

Edit: it happens when the mods have plugins, by the way.

Edited by Khtugg

I'm doing a bunch of troubleshooting steps for this as I am having the exact same problem. No matter the mod, even if it has 0 dependence and is just a single esp file (texture mods are fine as long as they are only replacers), crashes the game upon save loadup if you disable/uninstall/delete it from your game.

So far I've "verified the integrity of the game cache" and manually checked my plugin.txt (it was clear of the uninstalled mod so that was fine). I've gone and made sure the files from whatever uninstalled mod where gone. Also force the game to re-create Fallout.ini. It almost seems like save files keep track of which mods you have...

I will keep trying to find a fix to this and post here if I come up with anything. Anyone else willing to pitch in on solving this issue would be wonderful :smile:
I haven't tested on a non-survival version of a save file, so not sure if it's just survival mode?

Edited by Scorpial

Are you launching your game with F4SE? Disable the mods you want, launch through the normal steam launcher and start your game without F4SE, then load up your save like normal, click yes on the little warning about mods, quicksave, exit. Then restart with F4SE, I donno what is causing this bug. =/

Edited by Jenqui

Are you launching your game with F4SE? Disable the mods you want, launch through the normal steam launcher and start your game without F4SE, then load up your save like normal, click yes on the little warning about mods, quicksave, exit. Then restart with F4SE, I donno what is causing this bug. =/

I can confirm that this does in fact work! Thank you so much Jenquil :) My only concern is that some mods might get messed up in the new save by being force-loaded without F4SE. I'm hoping there will be a fix for this soon.