Questions about leveling and perks

salawow

Hello !

i'm now level 7, and enjoying Skyrim very much :) I got some questions related to leveling and perks.

1- I've read somewhere that the "soft level cap" is 50. What does it mean exactly ? No perks after lvl 50 ? No more health/magika/stamina points ? Or ennemies stop scaling after 50 ? Or something else ?

2- It seems that i'm leveling incredibly fast.. is this normal ? For now, i've killed my first dragon, and did some other quests around Whiterun. Is it normal that i'm already level 7 ?

3- Now the perks.. there are so many of them. it seems that i can choose 1 perk per level, no more than that... is that right ? So it means i have to choose them very carfully, and will never be able to fill up many trees.. is that right ? If i put 10 perks in the Speechcraft tree, i will be in a high disaventage in combat, is that right ?

4- About the perks again, the constellations looks like some kind of tree.. does it mean i have to take all the first perks to be able to take the others ? If the only thing that i'd like to take in Speechcraft is the thing about shop investments, can i take it right away (when my speech is high enough of course), or do i have to take all the first perks before ?

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

1 - You no longer gain perks or Health/Stamina/Magicka upgrades after lvl 50, however your skills will continue to level up. I assume they'll raise the cap with DLC like the Fallout games did.

2 - Leveling starts out fast and slows down the higher you get.

3 - You get one perk point to spend per level but you don't have to. If there's nothing you want to spend the perk point on, you can hold on to it until you meet the requirements for perks you really want. There is no way to refund perks without using the console menu which disables achievements. Spend them wisely.

4 - Each perk unlocks the next one(s). You can't select a later perk without selecting the preceding one(s).

1: Skills ups provide less xp. For example, at 49, a level in smithing might provide (random numbers here) 1 xp / 100. After you hit 50, the same point in smithing might provive 0.25 xp / 100.

2: That's normal.

3: If you put your first 10 points into a non-combat tree, then yes you may gimp yourself. Instead, every other level, point a point into a non-combat tree, for example, level 2: One-handed, level 3: Speech, level 4: One-handed, and so on.

4: Yes, but you only need to branch one side of the perk. For example, to get Dragon Smithing, you only need to complete one side, Light Armors (Glass > Dragon) or Heavy Amors (Daedric > Dragon). Also, if a perk has multiple tiers, you only need to put one point to activate the next perk.

Edited by BrknSoul

Hello !

i'm now level 7, and enjoying Skyrim very much :) I got some questions related to leveling and perks.

1- I've read somewhere that the "soft level cap" is 50. What does it mean exactly ? No perks after lvl 50 ? No more health/magika/stamina points ? Or ennemies stop scaling after 50 ? Or something else ?

2- It seems that i'm leveling incredibly fast.. is this normal ? For now, i've killed my first dragon, and did some other quests around Whiterun. Is it normal that i'm already level 7 ?

3- Now the perks.. there are so many of them. it seems that i can choose 1 perk per level, no more than that... is that right ? So it means i have to choose them very carfully, and will never be able to fill up many trees.. is that right ? If i put 10 perks in the Speechcraft tree, i will be in a high disaventage in combat, is that right ?

4- About the perks again, the constellations looks like some kind of tree.. does it mean i have to take all the first perks to be able to take the others ? If the only thing that i'd like to take in Speechcraft is the thing about shop investments, can i take it right away (when my speech is high enough of course), or do i have to take all the first perks before ?

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Hi again salawow!

Glad you are enjoying the game :thumbsup:

1. from what i understood (becouse i havent hit the lvl 50 yet) it means that after this lvl things get really slow...you still can lvl up but it will be a lot slower and im unsure of you still get perk points.

2. yes the levling is very fast to lvl 25-30 after that it gets a bit slower.

3. it really depends on your gameplay and class you have..at the start it isnt bad to actually look more closely into the perk trees and see what matters to you and balance it out..and you have always the option to run away or push the slider difficulty down..dont forget that unlike in oblivion here you have some enemies who are stronger then the others...though i dont really think puting these points into speech will hurt your gameplay.

4.you dont have to get all perks in the tree just see what perks you are interested in and try to put points in there to unlock them...though the starting perks are needed to be unlocked before you can advance further...so put 1 point into the first speech perk to unlock the one you are after....you can see they are all connected with lines.

Edited by pavy

Apparently there are also 20 perks attainable via quests as well.

Not perks, but permanent bonuses. So you get a % bonus to something, not a perk you can spend.

Hence the max perk you can gain is 80. Which is quite a lot!