Graphics card recommendation

You can just check what kind of systems others here are building atm and the advice they're getting: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4745475-help-with-hardware-choices/

Generally, a new (or used) card will set you back $200 and will be money well spent.

An all-new PC will set you back $1,000 and it's generally worth it. But you won't see nearly the same difference with a $1,000 new PC vs a new $200 card as between what you have now and a $200 card. The upside is that it will be yours to keep.

Pretty much everything modern, other than Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect and other cross-platform games also available on the 360 or the PS3, requires a PC with an up-to-date dedicated graphics card.

The $1,000 boxes people are building are by no means top of the line. Seriously high-performance builds start at around $3,000 for the box (6700K, water, 2xGTX 1070, PCI-E SSD) and at least as much for the peripherals (4K screen, hi-fi audio, mech KB, sim controllers).

It is mostly about the monitor you are going to use, an AMD rx480 or nvidia gtx1060 are good choices for a single 1920x1080 screen.

I think a 4k game pc is obvious. you need a lot of power for a lot of pixels, this is not possible with a single graphics card right now although the GTX1080 comes close

And you have a lot of stuff in between now, I currently use a 2560x1440 monitor which also requires a more high end card.

The computer store I was in yesterday had a lot of ultra wide monitors with a resolution of 3440x1440 these seem to be popular for gaming at the moment.

I appreciate all the advice. Just by installing a sound card I was able to make it through the tutorial dungeon in Oblivion. I could tell I was on the right track as I heard the Oblivion theme music play during the main menu which I hadn't heard before. I've decided that I want to give Elder Scrolls Online a try because I've heard you can play it solo and I'm familiar with the universe. Probably ease my way in to multiplayer. I Never really got in to WoW or other MMO's as I like the Lone wolf approach and taking my time doing things. I think chronologically speaking, most of the games I want to play are in the past, hence the interest in XP. I would really like to be able to play the old Thief games with graphics mods if they are out there and other XP era games like Baldur's gate, Sanitarium type adventure, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you might be able to get a few bucks out of your Quadro 580 (it's no good for gaming, but someone might need a Quadro for its pro-specific features with no performance demands), but they go for $20 on ebay, so no luck there either.

Â

XP is over (except in corporations with super valuable data... and plenty of those XP machines are internet connected AND run as admin!), but there's plenty of GPU that support it. Nvidia only dropped XP support with the 10 series - literally, you can run a GTX 980 Ti on Windows XP.

Â

Officially, the GTX 960 is the highest supported card for XP. Unofficially, this is purely an artificial limitation and you just need to download the latest GTX 960 XP drivers - http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105040 - and add your card's deviceID: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=152922

Â

So, for $200, you're looking at a choice between a new GTX 960 with official support and a used GTX 970 with a minor driver tweak to run it on XP.

Â

Basically, you're only missing out on the R9 380X, which you say you don't want anyway. The latest NV GPU don't fit your budget, the latest Radeons do, but they're not that great anyway.

This is why I got the 960. I'm 35 man and I'm not playing anything newer than Skyrim and ELO(not ELO onviously). Most games I want to play are back in time. I'm not the type that just wants to play all the latest and greatest stuff that keeps coming out.