Tips for 3rd Person Camera?

toastysquirrel

Not sure if this is a general question or a mod question, but I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to make the 3rd person camera less crappy in Skyrim on the PC?

First Person is fine, but when I switch to 3rd person the controls (in and out of combat) feel slightly lagged. This of course makes combat in 3rd Person horrible. But even peacefully navigating the world feels screwed up.

Are there any tweaks I should be aware of or mods that might help?

I remember in Oblivion there was a mod that removed the default sway in 3rd person; the mod made the experience great. Anything like that for Skyrim yet?

While this is personal preferance would recommend adding these lines to your Skyrim.ini if you like to play in 3rd person.

[Camera]

fOverShoulderCombatAddZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatAddX=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosY=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0000

fOverShoulderPosY=0.0000

fOverShoulderPosX=0.0000

fOverShoulderHorseAddY=13.0000

fOverShoulderHorsePosZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderHorsePosX=0.0000

It smoothens out the camera turning/scrolling, and also centers the camera behind the player (aposed to over-the-shoulder) and it prevents the camera auto zooming out, and in everything you unsheath your weapons/spells etc.

You may also be interested in This it apprently stops the motion/bobbing that you spoke of, but i haven't tried it myself therefor can't personally vouch for it.

While this is personal preferance would recommend adding these lines to your Skyrim.ini if you like to play in 3rd person.

[Camera]

fOverShoulderCombatAddZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatAddX=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosY=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0000

fOverShoulderPosY=0.0000

fOverShoulderPosX=0.0000

fOverShoulderHorseAddY=13.0000

fOverShoulderHorsePosZ=0.0000

fOverShoulderHorsePosX=0.0000

It smoothens out the camera turning/scrolling, and also centers the camera behind the player (aposed to over-the-shoulder) and it prevents the camera auto zooming out, and in everything you unsheath your weapons/spells etc.

You may also be interested in This it apprently stops the motion/bobbing that you spoke of, but i haven't tried it myself therefor can't personally vouch for it.

Thanks man! What do I need to add if I *only* want to do the camera smoothing? I rather enjoy the off-center position of the camera. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Guys I need your help. The [camera] section wasn't on my Skyrim.ini . I added the lines you recomended with the default values first. After I changed zoom in and out options, wheel zoom step and fov, saved and load the game. Don't see any diference. Is it possible that Skyrim is not reading the new lines?

I use skse but I dont think it matters right? Also, I had the inmersive first person view mod as the only mod that changes camera settings. I uninstalled it but had no effect at all.

Any advise? plase, I know this is supposed to be basic and that is why is driving my crazy not to get it working.

Edit: Customizable Camera Mod solved my life.

Edited by Estudiado

Well with the setting at zero its the default numbers. You wont see a difference unless you change the number to something else.

Example

fshouldercombatpositionZ=-20

fshouldercombatpositionX=45

With that I get the camera off to the right and my charcter she's off to the left side of the screen like its freakin awesome see her whole body and rear end in thong but also entirely able to fight like its a combat game.