Angry and frustrated

caller4u

I get it that there needs to be copy protection. I get it that to stay in business you need to make a profit. But DAMN it! I live in the boonies and the internet is slow and prone to errors. I BOUTHT this game to PLAY, not to be interconnected online. At the present, more than 50% of the time, I can't start the game due to Steam problems. When I DO get Steam well, all I get is their lousy, LOUSY ads for more games. Can't even get to the start screen for Skyrim. Just the damn advertisements. How do I play the game????????

I have had the misfortune of having my internet connection fail, but for the computer savy, you can still access the game by going into the steam file, in steamapps, open common file, and then skyrim. there you can find the TESV exe. that will give you the launch menu. Cheers

I get it that there needs to be copy protection. I get it that to stay in business you need to make a profit. But DAMN it! I live in the boonies and the internet is slow and prone to errors. I BOUTHT this game to PLAY, not to be interconnected online. At the present, more than 50% of the time, I can't start the game due to Steam problems. When I DO get Steam well, all I get is their lousy, LOUSY ads for more games. Can't even get to the start screen for Skyrim. Just the damn advertisements. How do I play the game????????

Click 'Library' at the top that will take you to your installed/account games. I assuming that's the problem as the adds are only on the store page or separate pop-ups.

I can understand your frustration but really, you can bypass steam by playing offline. I forget exactly how you do it. I think you open steam and then go up to the upper right hand corner, and I think you click account and there's a drop down menu and one option is to play off line. Click that and then restart Skyrim. Viola, you play with no Steam. And you're happy! :D

I can understand your frustration but really, you can bypass steam by playing offline. I forget exactly how you do it. I think you open steam and then go up to the upper right hand corner, and I think you click account and there's a drop down menu and one option is to play off line. Click that and then restart Skyrim. Viola, you play with no Steam. And you're happy! :D

Sadly, you still play with Steam hogging your system resources. Before the latest patch, you could easily bypass the Startup Menu (Play, Options, Data Files etc) by running the exe directly, this bypassed Steam and thus allowed me to play without lag. Bethesda decided to end this, out of spite I guess, I cant imagine a genuine reason for it. I cant remember who said it, but someone posted this on a forum, and I felt the need to save it to drag up at times like this:

"Skyrim is like a car, and Steam is a 5'8" 350lb security guard that sits in the back seat making sure that you don't drive anywhere you aren't supposed to and checks your drivers license and registration every time you get into the car to make sure you didn't steal it. He also occupies the entire back seat so you can't take your friends anywhere, and his extra 350 lbs causes your gas mileage to drop like a rock. Oh.. and he doesn't contribute ANYTHING to the reason why you bought the car in the first place, and he's certainly not in the car to protect YOU (the dealership that sold you the car will, in fact, argue that you never purchased the car, are merely leasing it, and the fat security guard is there to ensure your compliance with the terms of the lease)."

Ooo, more steam bashing. Big surprise there.

Yes, you can enable offline mode. You can also disable those ads that show up. Though I wonder, if your computer has this much trouble running steam, can it even run skyrim? Perhaps the issue isn't steam and rather your computer simply can't handle the game.