Skyrim Crashing despite troubleshooting

Yamcakes

I hate to be "that guy" but you may have a physical defect in your Video RAM or RAM. If Skyrim isn't the only recently-released game which causes unexplained crashes to occur than you may consider replacing your RAM followed by your Video Card. And try RAM consistency checks/RAM swapping, etc.

Its a reshipped desktop that just ran through a series of checks by the guy who built it. As well as checks done by myself to find any defects with the parts, no issue there...

The only other game that crashes is Borderlands, though thats simply because i havent bothered to go through the fixes yet with that game, like the Runtime C++ Error.

Perhaps that is a possibility, what you suggested, but I am just having a hard time accepting that in spite of my checking as well as factory checking is all. :V

Edited by Yamcakes

iam running

Windows XP pro SP3

geforce 8800 GTS 320mb

amd 4600 dual core

2 gb RAM

i can play fine for about 30 mins- 1 hr ... then for no reason BSOD

the music and sounds loop and the screen flickers for a sec then BSOD

... i cant read what BSOD says, it goes away and restarts too fast :(

im running medium settings... high textures and max anisotropic ... no AA ... low shadows and blur ... ultra decal# ... no FXAA -- 1366x768 resolution

i tried the ENB series v5 thing, it says it helps with crashes ... i used to get a CTD but i dont now (i think).... still the BSOD though.

and i even dled the 196.21 driver that ENB dude said is good for 8800

== (i had BSOD b4 the ENB and afterwards)

Edited by CaoMengde777

... And suddenly, it's working again. I'm beginning to think that it may have been Steam server overload, or at least Steam related.

I don't see why, after registering our legal copy of the the game, we can't play without having to be connected to the Internet. I would rather have this on my laptop, but I'm rarely in a place where I can get an online connection. Frankly, after all the hype, I'm disappointed with this rehash of Oblivion, its awkward UI, and the hoops Bethesda and Steam make us jump through just to play the game.