can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

How to?

Ask the original author to do it. If it is not your mod, you will break copyright law if you port it without his/her permission.

Otherwise, it all depends on what mods. Some would need the CK, which is not out yet, and some would be doable with the tools we got now.

Once the kit is out, you should be able to alter values of existing weapons to mimic what you had in Oblivion. Textures should be able to be altered as well to mimic what you had before depending on how good you are with an editor like Gimp. As far as legality goes, do whatever you want on your own system and no one would ever know. It costs a TON of money to get Lawyers involved. Even if something was posted in mod section, assuming it violated some rules, you'd get a warning or the hosting site would be warned to remove it. People trying to scare you with the law don't realize that Bethesda would bankrupt itself if it went after every single snafu. Obviously trying to make a profit would be an exception to the rule as that would probably get quick attention. But after all, they release a kit to mod with, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are creative. EXAMPLE: Say there was a dagger you liked in Oblivion. I'd open it's image in Gimp. Then I'd find a dagger from Skyrim that was similar (or even a basic steel dagger) then copy sections from your favorite OVER the steel dagger, blending it to appear natural. This is just a cheap example (gets you by).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People trying to scare you with the law don't realize that Bethesda would bankrupt itself if it went after every single snafu.

Not really... when they have a team of lawyers on payroll already. What is the fee to file? $300? which they'd get back from you.... because let's face it, they'd obviously win.

On your own computer and for your own use you can do pretty much what you want to. :thumbsup: So these restrictions only apply if you are planning on uploading a mod here.

Porting vanilla assets from a prior Bethsoft Or nearly any other game is not allowed. (there are exceptions) However, remaking that asset for the new game - as long as you do not copy anything from the original is allowed.

If what you want to change is a user made mod, with no vanilla assets from the other game, then you should contact the original author if possible. They may be planning to make a version of their mod for the new game, and may not be happy if you take their assets without permission. Most authors will give permission if asked.

Mods that use scripting may be a problem as the scripting language has changed - we don't really know how much yet.

It's a question of rights as long as you buy a game or either you got rights on it, as an exemple encoding a movie and uploading it on Megaupload is not illegal if you have the bluray of it home, you can download it from your link each time youi want, what IS illegal is to give the adress and code to someone who didn't purchase the movie.

The thing is, you are not allowed to port something from game A to game B. Even if everybody in the world had both games, it is against the rules given to us by Bethesda. And ultimately they decides.

In the end, even if the law is on your side, you got very little chance against the lawyers of Bethesda.

But, if anybody actually knows how to mod without the CK, I believe itt's time we answer Uerba :P He asks how to get a custom model into Skyrim now. I can not help, as I am waiting patiently ( not really ) for the CK before I start modding.

i don't know about Oblivion cos i played it on XBox ( no one is perfect) but if it works with a launcher like FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager) you can try open it with tesnip and copy your weapon entry and past it on Skyrim esm (that you can open with FOMM i ve tried it and it works) and save by creating an esp file and of course you wiould have to copy all textures and meshes you need in Skyrim data file.

am i clear ?

Anyway it might work if the game engine is bothly the same ( as it seems) but what is sure is that you can extract all Skyrim esm content with FOMM and mod it with other programs as long as you keep same directories names etc.. .

Edited by MonsterMonkey

It's a question of rights as long as you buy a game or either you got rights on it, as an exemple encoding a movie and uploading it on Megaupload is not illegal if you have the bluray of it home, you can download it from your link each time youi want, what IS illegal is to give the adress and code to someone who didn't purchase the movie.

In the UK that is illegal. You do not have the right to make digital backups. But I digress.

i didnt quite understande how to do that there is a sword that i custom made for oblivion i would like it to go into skyrim how do i switch de nif files i cant open it in gimp

GIMP doesn't open nif files. Oblivion nif format is different than Skyrims, the nifs with out modification not compatible between the games. It uses a very slightly different version than a F3 version nif, but also with new block types.

Try to get your head into one of the threads that describe one of the rough working methods of getting custom assets into Skyrim, and just follow along if you can.