Useable Firearms?

TehSquishy

Creating something along the lines of a classical firearm. I'm not talking about toating around a mini-gun, or a fully automatic shotgun, but something along the lines of a flint lock pistol, a scatter-gun, or a smooth-bore single-shot rifle... I'm just recently getting back into "fantasy" style RPGs, and I'm really missing my firearms. Would someone be able to do this?

I'm sure I'm not alone in this idea, but I know I'll get some fairly negative feedback, so please hold that for personal commentary.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working on a Steampunk minigun for Fallout, thoigh I feel it would fit into Skyrim and the dwemer culture pretty good :(

Back on topic: It might be a little hard to pull off. There is many effects and scripts needed to make it look decent, unless you want the weapon to fire fireballs.

Of course, it is possible if you get the right scripter into the picture!

Though I would wait a bit with that request, untill we know what tools the CK gives us.

Cheers,

Matth

@Matth85: If you're already working on it, go for it! I'd download it, but I also love me some mini-guns xP

@Tutimane: Agreed, having a good balance with it would be crucial, I was hoping something along the lines of "Heavy Armor" would be a lot more bullet-resistant than "Leather Armor", and both would fair much better than robes, or regular clothing.

The reason I specified Flint-Lock pistols or Smooth-Bore rifles is because I did want to keep it something along the lines of classical, keeping with the whole feel of the game, but when I say this, I wouldn't be for someone holding a P90 Sub Machine Gun, or a .50 Desert Eagle, I was looking for something that *felt* like it could fit in with the same time/era, even though clearly they didn't have firearms yet.

I was hoping something along the lines of "Heavy Armor" would be a lot more bullet-resistant than "Leather Armor", and both would fair much better than robes, or regular clothing.

Do you know why plate armor and stuff like that eventually died out? Because a gun could rip through heavy armor like paper. It's like shooting through thicker sheet metal. You're going to lose a lot of velocity and power, but it's still going to hurt and probably kill.

@Matth85: If you're already working on it, go for it! I'd download it, but I also love me some mini-guns xP

@Tutimane: Agreed, having a good balance with it would be crucial, I was hoping something along the lines of "Heavy Armor" would be a lot more bullet-resistant than "Leather Armor", and both would fair much better than robes, or regular clothing.

The reason I specified Flint-Lock pistols or Smooth-Bore rifles is because I did want to keep it something along the lines of classical, keeping with the whole feel of the game, but when I say this, I wouldn't be for someone holding a P90 Sub Machine Gun, or a .50 Desert Eagle, I was looking for something that *felt* like it could fit in with the same time/era, even though clearly they didn't have firearms yet.

I just really miss having a handy-dandy firearm on my side, as almost every game I've played in the last 5-6 years, the character uses a firearm. I'm used to the 900-1,400 fps velocity of a bullet, not the 200-350 fps velocity of an arrow. Skyrim is the first *fantasy* RPG I've played since Icewind Dale, which I haven't been able to get to work on any computer in my house since middle school. :\

Edited by TehSquishy

I was hoping something along the lines of "Heavy Armor" would be a lot more bullet-resistant than "Leather Armor", and both would fair much better than robes, or regular clothing.

Do you know why plate armor and stuff like that eventually died out? Because a gun could rip through heavy armor like paper. It's like shooting through thicker sheet metal. You're going to lose a lot of velocity and power, but it's still going to hurt and probably kill.

Well of course, but the Spanish had the right idea back in the day when they had their grenadiers wear extremely heavy duty plated iron/steel armor, because it was efficient at keeping off quite a bit of the damaging effects of the weapons.

The reason that type of armor became inefficient is because of the smooth-bore firearm's SHOT, the actual ball they fired had so much mass and velocity that it would either puncture, or heavily damage almost any type of wearable metal armor of the day.

If guns, then make them like historical single-shot pistols (watch Pirates of Caribbean if you can't imagine it)

advantages:

very high single target damage (100% kill on "lesser" creeps like Draugr or Bandits, but not that high it would take out a dungeon boss or semiboss by single shot)

100% chance to stagger

no "draw" time, opposed to bows when you need to wait almost 3 sec before actually hitting

disadvantages:

very damn noisy (NOT usable by stealth characters like assassins or thieves)

you just have 1 shot and then about 5-10 sec "cooldown" (not sure how to implement)

strategy:

fire it on the closest enemy, then change to melee weapons and charge in. After you kill someone and enemies are farther, change to pistol again and fire it again and repeat.

If they added muskets etc to add a "steampunk" kind of thing to the game I would certainly try it out... They'd have to change archery tree to "ranged" though. =)

Muskets and flintlocks would be cool. M4 carbines and RPG's would be retarded... Actually, that would be pretty f***ing funny.

Dragon: RAWR.

::Dovakim pulls out heat seeking RPG::

Game Over D00D!

^^^ And to post above...

Muskets and flintlocks take forever to load IRL... So... They do A LOT of damage but have a very long reload time. Basically a one shot kill, with a 20 sec reload.

Edited by bassist02324