Useable Firearms?

TehSquishy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point exactly. The industrialized Fable is terrible, compared to the fantasy one.

Medieval + renaissance = bad.

It's simple not attractive.

A gun or two, a machine or two, might be awesome. Turning the game into steampunk is, well, no. Just no.

I imagined pistols in more piratish fights (seen Pirates of Caribbean?)

in most situations, if you enter a room, you end up being outnumbered about 10 vs 1 usually.

having 1 free shot wouldn't be that OP as you might think. Not to mention general bethesda's problem with ranged combat - missiles are so freaking slow you miss like 70% time, that's why I stopped playing marksman/caster type and went for melee combat. It's also poorly balanced - opponents damage of spells scales and yours don't, so you might end up incinerated by a barrage of fireballs, while you won't even scratch that boss (not to mention if you get hit, whole screen is on fire and you can't see a s***!).

you charge in, shoot the first enemy you see in his dread head, unsheathe a sword and start dancing around others.

imagine Corsair "class":

- light armor

- rapier/sword in right hand

- pistol in left hand

you see, a pistol is not exactly a weapon for stealthy character. I can't see a reason why a thief would want to use pistol (guys you should make a topic about re-creating thieves tools like blackjack, or about lockpick crafting). If you fire from pistol, you have to live with 10 enemies who now know where you are and go for you.

it would be more like

1 enemy shot

3 enemies killed by sword till pistol is on CD

1 enemy shot

3 enemies killed by sword....

and don't you worry about bosses, they have PLENTY of HP/Armor/firepower to compensate (if not, I would advise noobs to move difficulty bar from novice to expert/master and they'll see how Alduin takes out 85% of their HP by single breath - compared to your full flame breath with upgrade from Paarthurnax which will leave a Draugr Deathlord at 97% Hp, barely staggering him...)

You gave me a few ideas there.

Flintllocks could fit pretty good.

Great, and I was planning to study this week >.< Back to 3d I guess.

Well, I've actually seen this idea pop up now in several forums, and even people in real life talk about it... I'm quite surprised, I had assumed that *everyone* wanted the game to be *100% "lore" friendly*. Happy OP is Happy :]

wanted the game to be *100% "lore" friendly

We can make it about 90% lore friedly with the ideas we got.

If it goes under that, however, I will have no part in it. If people want to go outside the lore too much, why not make models and features for other game engines? Like Cryenginge, Unity and UDK.

I got a hard time crapping on the hard wor of Bethesda, because I find lazor gaunz!! to look cool.

I was hoping something along the lines of "Heavy Armor" would be a lot more bullet-resistant than "Leather Armor", and both would fair much better than robes, or regular clothing.

Do you know why plate armor and stuff like that eventually died out? Because a gun could rip through heavy armor like paper. It's like shooting through thicker sheet metal. You're going to lose a lot of velocity and power, but it's still going to hurt and probably kill.

Well of course, but the Spanish had the right idea back in the day when they had their grenadiers wear extremely heavy duty plated iron/steel armor, because it was efficient at keeping off quite a bit of the damaging effects of the weapons.

The reason that type of armor became inefficient is because of the smooth-bore firearm's SHOT, the actual ball they fired had so much mass and velocity that it would either puncture, or heavily damage almost any type of wearable metal armor of the day.

Firearems at the time of the Spanish grenadiers were very unreliable, they were a one shot affair with long load times. With match lock firing the battle tatics were shoot you're shot and engage with sword thus the continued use of a steel breast plate.

A matchlock fire arm (an extemely difficult to obtain Dwemer artifact found only in the deepest hardest dungeon) could be made to work with long load time restrictions but I'd hate to see anything that resembles a hand held automatic in what has been a strictly sword and magic game.

it's just great how these fantasy worlds all work...

ancient = great, better techniques of everything

(put some dark age when most knowledge was lost)

current age, POWERFUL thousand years old artifacts are found, they still work and they are better than current technology...

Take LotR:

- ancient elven artifacts were far superior to craftsmanship of ppl living about 5000 years later

Take Elder Scrolls:

- when ancient nords wanted to conquer Morrowind, alliance of Dwemer and Dunmer fought them off (aka mere MEN were powerful enough to give hard time to most powerful empires of old).

- about what, 5000+ years later the societies are on the same or WORSE technological level (dwemer ppl lost, as well as their knowledge) - soldiers still use melee weapons and BOWS. I mean, in SO MANY DAMN YEARS noone came up with the idea of a simple crossbow? lol

So, I decided I'd model a few firemans. Just since I liked the idea ;)

What kind of weapon would you want to see? As of now I got 2 ideas:

Standrard Flintlock. The kind of weapon a pirate could carry.

Or something more dwemerish, hosting a soul gem and all.