This plugin requires "..\skse_loader.exe" to be installed, but it is missing.?

Musecrafter

Hi guys,

I'm a noob so this error has more than likely happened due to noob stupidity and a bit of over zeolousness. :)

Background: Played Skyrim on PS3 to level 54. After a recent computer purchase I discovered Skyrim for PC. Shortly afterwards discovered modding. Since I've played around plenty enough to mess everything I reset Skyrim to vanilla and began to reinstall the mods the correct way. So far everything has worked out except for the following message in LOOT from SkyUI.esp, RacMenu.esp, SkyTweak.esp, towConversation.esp, Kate.esp, and BlitzConsoleCommandsMCM.esp: This plugin requires "..\skse_loader.exe" to be installed, but it is missing.

As far as I can tell, SKSE is installed. It shows up in Stream and it always worked during my reckless abandon experimenting. Any ideas how to fix this? Hopefully it's something I simply overlooked due to lack of experience.

Thanks for your help!

If I try to run it from SKSE inside Stream I get Failure to start game (missing executable). I've always launched Skyrim from the same left side panel that SKSE is in but have always done it through The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. The last time I launched Skyrim was to create an ini file once it was returned to vanilla.

Then u are not using skse use the 7zip archive version and put the files of the archive inside your Skyrim directory where the TESV.exe is located (u don't need the .txt files) then launch the executable called skse_loader.exe

SKSE Link: http://skse.silverlock.org/

Edited by Project579

• 1 year later...

Skyrim is by default installed to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

Navigate there using Windows Explorer. For Windows 10, you may have to open up "This PC" to see the C: drive.

Extract your SKSE files there (or just run the installer version, which is even easier). Then right-click on skse_launcher and select "Create shortcut". Drag this shortcut to your desktop or wherever you like. If you want to, rename the shortcut by pressing F2.

However, if your Skyrim is installed to the default location above, it's best to move it out of the Program Files directory. This is because Windows keeps the permissions locked down in that directory and mods work better without those restrictive permissions. One way is to create a Steam Library folder. Another way is to move your entire Steam directory. This Steam guide covers both. Be warned that if you have a lot of games, then moving the entire thing and re-verifying all games can take a long time.