Playing as a dog in skyrim

necKros

One of my favorite new features in the enhanced Skyrim engine is the races system. From what I have observed, there's a new data structure that unifies both classic PC/NPC and 'monsters'. What's interesting about this is that, potentially, every race in the game is playable. Their actual functionality seems limited apparently by a list of rigged animation functions, that will probably be modifiable with the CS.

So we all heard about the setrace command in console. When you select a non-playable race you get stuck in a ground-level first person view. The reason behind this is, as many of you already know, that the first and third person cameras are bones included in the playable skeletons. I thought then that copying the third person camera node from the playable character skeleton to another race, dog in this case, would work.

And it did:

So, what are we gonna do now that that we can make any skeleton playable and maybe rig new actions and animations (flying anyone?).

Edited by necKros

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have lizard/cat men shouting down dragons, a dog could just howl those dragons down.

...Or maybe modders can make a moveset that entirely relies on Dog "howls." It would be a whole new gameplay mode.

This is a good find, and opens up a lot of possibilities.

When using SetRace, do you use a formID or a name? I haven't tried this yet.

Edit: just tried it, and that's all kinds of fun! I did 'atronachflame'.

I couldn't un/equip anything from my quick menu or attack, probably needs more nodes from the playable skeleton.

Edited by throttlekitty

Dogs shouting dragons down into the ground?...I get that every day before I go to work...

Please oh please don't bring that into my fantasy world! lol

On the other hand, I'm actually more interested in whether or not they'll release Scaleform's Click Tools for Skyrim....

The UI is a disaster zone and without those tools, it'll stay that way...

It could potentially open up the possiblitiy of creating marking menus that allow to switch between races, armor sets, and basically whatever your imagination can think of, on the fly without having to alter the existing ui.

Edited by fmoritz

@NecKros - How do we rig some controlled animations so we can attack? I am currently going through and modifying some of the creature's skeleton.NIF files like this.

Also, do we drop these modified skeleton.Nif's under data/meshes/(creature name) in order for it to take effect in game?