NEW Nvidia GeForce 290.36 with changes for Skyrim!

ThatKidLuke

Hi!

So I'll actually play Skyrim on my GTX260 with everything maxed and all the hacks I can find. As long as I stay above 20, I will gladly sacrifice the FPS hit for these incredible graphics!

My only problem seems to be that turning on ambient occlusion has caused my mouse to lag... the framerate seems relatively the same but the mouse has an ever so slight lag, worse in the menus. Im hoping I can fix it and keep the setting on because it looks remarkable!

Yeah well I fear that's not gonna happen because SSAO is generally one of the most performance killing improvements, just like shadows and AA. But maybe they optimize the driver so the FPS hit is less. I tried the performance setting instead of the quality setting but that just made the soft shadows flicker around while moving which was unenjoyable.

There's a mod out there which adds ambient occlusion-like textures over the landscape textures so it looks like there's basic SSAO, it looks quite good and there's not fps loss. It's the same guy who added noise to the distant landscape so it doesn't look that bland.

Never Download Betas, wait for the Full Version of the New Nvidia Driver, then things will look better.

nVidia betas are fine to use .. ATI betas however are to be avoided on any hardware that you cant easily replace.

Nvidia has had a pretty good track record with their beta code. though personally I will wait until they have come out with a final version, because there are bound to be some bugs that will need to be squashed.

Installed the new drivers, but I can't select ambient occlusion in the settings, still says that it's not supported for the application.

You need to use program settings in the nvidia control panel and uncheck the show only programs on this computer option then select the skyrim profile from the games ,dont select skyrim by linking the exe with the add option and you can then use the ambient occlusion settings.

Installed the new drivers, but I can't select ambient occlusion in the settings, still says that it's not supported for the application.

You need to use program settings in the nvidia control panel and uncheck the show only programs on this computer option then select the skyrim profile from the games ,dont select skyrim by linking the exe with the add option and you can then use the ambient occlusion settings.

Hmm, I unchecked the box, but Skyrim is not listed in that massive list of games... how do I select it if it isn't in that list, and I can't add it by using the add exe option?

Hmm, I unchecked the box, but Skyrim is not listed in that massive list of games... how do I select it if it isn't in that list, and I can't add it by using the add exe option?

It wasn't on my list either until I installed the 290.36 drivers, also I have the show only programs found on this computer box checked on, after I did that it appeared on the list.

It wasn't on my list either until I installed the 290.36 drivers, also I have the show only programs found on this computer box checked on, after I did that it appeared on the list.

Strange, I updated the drivers to 290.36, and it still isn't appearing for me, in either all programs or "only on this computer" programs. System info definitely says 290.36, not sure what to do...