The Next Elder Scrolls will be all of Tamriel

dukeozzy

Arena was all of Tamriel. It honestly wasn't that exciting; more generic landscape that you don't want to leg it over. I would expect them to move onto either Hammerfell or Summerset next. Will it be using the same engine? Maybe, maybe not. At this point I would expect the same scope, though, with one new province.

Elsweyr is more like the African savannah. a lot of the time its dry and harsh, but it goes through periods of vibrancy.

Valenwood would be a pain in the arse to do... Its a jungle first of all, which means denser forests than anything we've ever seen. It also has a little something called migratory trees... Can you imagine having whole areas of the map move aorund every few weeks?

I'll put out the problem, so everybody can see the problem.

1) 3d Industry/game industry is one of the fastest moving industries. In about 5 yeas there will be so many new tools, that everything else will be outdated. Like SKyrim used sculpting, and Oblivion used Normal map for the first time.

2) It takes 5-6 years to make a good game. It also cost more money than you can dream of. Now, this goes for ONE country in the TES scenario. We'd need to redo about every continent, since we'd be in another time. So, we'd have about 9 countries. That means it would cost 9 times as much as one game, and 9 times the time.

So, the rough estimateed budget for Skyrim was $100,000,000. Now that means $900,000,000.

The rough estimate is 5-6 years, so let's say 5. 5*9= 45. Now we can cut down about 10 sice some models could be reused. 35 years.

Now the game size is at at what, 6Gig? 6X9= 54 gigabyte. It took me 10 houres to buy it, and get it installed, from steam at the 12th of November. This was due to huge traffic on Skype. Which means that would take me 90 houres. Which is about 4 days of constantly downloading.

And yes, I am aware The Elder Scrolls: Arena was all over Tamriel. However, that game had no purpose. We would want quests in each country, we'd want lore to fit, we'd want models fitting for the area they are in. We'd also want 10 times the voice acting and a lot of other goodies.

So, you see, there will not be a full Tamriel in the same quality as what we get now. No company got the money, par Blizzard, to spend 35 years on a single game.

Which reminds me, I got to get down to play Arena and Daggerfall one day. They seem quite fun!

P.S. Do not start commenting anything here. All numbers are estimates, some are googled up and some pulled out of my ass. The fact about the industry is a fact though, and in 35 year we might do 3d in a total other way than today. Heck, in 35 years we might not even do 3d anymore, but plug something into our head and jump in. We simply do not know.

P.S.S. They could release half-arsed, bad standard, RPG that got the whole Tamriel. But why would you have that, instead of something like Skyrim?

It will be called The Elder Scrolls Online

And i will never play it. Seriously, MMO's do not mesh with the approach to TES games. They are about singular heroes who save the world, not teeming throngs of bad ass PC's putting down monsters with the help of a hanful of story driven chracters.

It would be awfull if that was the case!

Think how long it takes to design a world full of quests and intresting things for just Skyrim....

I'd be VERY happy with (on `next gen` hardware (current hardware not gimped by consoles)

to have 2 provinces (Valenwood+ Elswer) with 2x the amount of content in each as we have in skyrim...

And no levelled loot/ items.

I want like 3x as many factions!