Dungeon Master (1987) mod

squatlover

Just wondering if anyone has carried out making a dungeon master type mod - in fact a direct port over. Yes, its the ancient 1987 original from the Atari ST and Amiga days where the mission is to recover the Firestaff and the Power Gem to defeat Lord Chaos. I was just playing around with the construction kit and banged out 2 levels based on the old maps. I'm using the bruma castle dungeon tileset for the walls - basically I've made the Hall of Champions and the layout of the first level, and also some of the puzzle level of level 3. I think there are about 14 levels in total. Once I get the layout set out I'll have to think how to implement the puzzle part of dungeon master - namely the pit traps, the pressure pad doors and automatic teleporters. I don't have any experience of scripting so its going to be a learning experience for me. I'll try and keep the thread updated.

Just wondering if anyone has carried out making a dungeon master type mod - in fact a direct port over.

You might want to re-read the TOS-- I'm pretty sure direct ports are not allowed on TES:

Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws (such as Russia).

All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. If you cannot provide proof of consent when asked then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

Just wondering if anyone has carried out making a dungeon master type mod - in fact a direct port over.

You might want to re-read the TOS-- I'm pretty sure direct ports are not allowed on TES:

Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws (such as Russia).

All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. If you cannot provide proof of consent when asked then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

Sorry, not a direct port over - that would be quite impossible and undesirable - but a mod based on the dungeon seen in dungeon master.

If you're going to use pit traps and pressure based doors, you may want to use the Ayleid ruins tileset. That has pit traps, ceiling smashers and pressure plates that can be used to trigger doors.

I already started the Hall of Champions and first two levels using the bruma dungeon layout - mainly because they have that 'dungeon master' look to them. Is there anyway of switching the functionality of the the ayelid ruins tileset to another one?

As I see it the original dungeon master consists of 14 levels. I intend have made the first 3 with the dungeon tileset, 4 and 5 nd 6 with the fort ruins tileset. I hope to make about 3 with the cave tileset because the levels seem quite cave-ish (dragon den, giant rat den, and another). Lord Chaos's level will be a oblivion cave tileset. The tomb of the firestaff I intend to be Sancre Tor tileset, with the final 3 as ayelid ruins type.

Have you played An Old School Dungeon? It uses the modders resource Old School Dungeons tileset and includes pit traps, pressure pad doors, and automatic teleporters. It likely already includes most of the things you need, and you would just have to lay out all the levels to be like they are in the game you are remaking.

Have you played An Old School Dungeon? It uses the modders resource Old School Dungeons tileset and includes pit traps, pressure pad doors, and automatic teleporters. It likely already includes most of the things you need, and you would just have to lay out all the levels to be like they are in the game you are remaking.

Thanks I'll take a look. The only problem is from the screenshots I don't like the orange colour.....

What colour of walls would best match the game you are remaking? It should not be very hard to retexture the modders resource. If you are not a retexturer yourself, I or someone else could probably help out.

Even if you did not use the tunnels and rooms from that mod, some of the things like the pressure pads and teleporters might be what you are looking for.

What colour of walls would best match the game you are remaking? It should not be very hard to retexture the modders resource. If you are not a retexturer yourself, I or someone else could probably help out.

Even if you did not use the tunnels and rooms from that mod, some of the things like the pressure pads and teleporters might be what you are looking for.

The pressure pads and teleporters are exactly whats needed. I'll just try and use those in addition to the original tileset - although variety may be good as well. In fact what I liked was the Witches Limbo which you made from the Fighters Guild mod - it reminded me of playing dungeon master.