Skyrim on RAM disk?

nandchan

Has anybody tried running Skyrim from a RAM disk, and if so, how well did it go? Since Skyrim, being a silly 32-bit application, simply refuses to make full use of my available memory, I'm considering launching the game from a RAM disk to benefit from the insane memory to memory bandwidth, an order of magnitude or two higher than a hard drive. By all logic it should cut down loading times and streaming latency considerably.

I only have 8 GiB of memory myself so to try it I'd need to install it on a 6 GiB RAM disk (which would mean losing my mods, which are currently >1 GiB in size and bring it to 7+), and launch the game with only 2 GiB of available system memory (total).

Would this be a good idea? Has anybody with 12 GiB or 16 GiB of memory considered the option?

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered this myself. Once I finish exams (a week or so) and get home I may try it out. I had a faulty stick on my desktop (2x 4gb) and bought myself a 12 gb set (for 16 gb total). I could either buy one stick or 3 to keep the dual channel and thought "why not...". Not too tech savvy myself but it didn't seem too complicated. Hitching seems to be reduced since Oblivion, but it could still prove useful (along with the crazy load times). With 16 gb I think I it would work nicely....

10 gb Ramdisk for Game +mods (thinking of going the STEP route)

4 GB dedicated to running the game + 4 gb patch

2 GB for windows 7.

One thing to keep in mind for your situation, Windows needs a certain amount of ram itself, and then needs more to run Skyrim (up to 4 gb with patch). I'm not sure how it would run if you only reserved 2 gb for windows + skyrim. Anyway, let me know what you end up doing, as I'm certainly not that informed and it feels weird trying something fairly tech-y insofar as it seems rare (very few accounts of running games like this). I'm only considering it because I have tons of free RAM that otherwise wouldn't be going to use...

• 1 year later...