Please, If you make a mod file, read this!

Velexia

Please, please do not pack your personal folders into the download. It is an enormous pain to unpack the file to the skyrim folder, load the game, and wonder why nothing seems different, then realize, go into the game folder, search for the custom folder, take it all out, repack it properly, and then unpack it again into the skyrim folder.

So please, when you make a mod, make it like this:

[My Mod Folder] / Pack zip, 7z, rar from here -> [Data/Meshes/Textures/Etc] / [Modded File]

Do not

Pack zip, 7z, rar from here -> [My Mod Folder] / [Data/Meshes/Textures/Etc] / [Modded File]

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3338/mypersonalmods.jpg

Why would you have to repack it again.... if all you did was throw off the directory path, you just get rid of the unnecessary folder. What am I missing?

Of course if you are going to upload it to the site better to not have folders you don't need...

I think some people just need to pay more attention.

Pack zip, 7z, rar from here -> [My Mod Folder] / [Data/Meshes/Textures/Etc] / [Modded File]

^ is standard

Generally it'll be like...

[My Mod Folder] [Read Me] [+ Image(s)] [+ Optional Files] / [Data/Meshes/Textures/Etc] / [Modded File]

I've always unzipped to a separate location, so I can keep track of what files go with which mods, which mods I've installed, etc. I often use winrar's extract to [zip name] function just because a lot of people do it your way, and it's frustrating as heck.

So, no, I would vote against this. Just check the file and take the 10 seconds or so.

I use 7-Zip which extracts it to the folder name anyways, then I open that and use my brain for all of 0.5 seconds so I copy over meshes/textures into /Data/ and not the whole folder.

I mean really, use your brain for just an instant. That's all it comes down to.

The reason Velexia put this up is because he/she/WE would like to just use NMM to download and install the various mods and if the mod is not pack right the NMM installs the random personal folders which can (no will) get confusing later on. If people do pack the mods right for the NMM there will be far less "your mod don't work right help me" messages from the less experienced or new modders, saving your precious modding time for creating great mods rather than spending time answering the question of how to install make you mod work.