Runes/Gems in Slots

droscoe2

I apologize if this has been proposed already.

How do you feel about adding runes, or gems, to items that give it special effects?

+X% Frost Resistance

+X% Shock Damage

+X% Resistance to Blunt Weapons

+X% Damage to Undead

+X to Block

+X to Heavy Armor

+X to Speed

+X to Health

+X to Magicka

% Chance to Stun or Slow

% Chance to Critical Hit

Reflect X% of Physical Damage

-X% Vendor Prices

Just some examples. How could they be balanced? I think that having the mechanism of putting runes/gems in slots for your items would be a fun way to create both diverse and optimal characters. Is this idea redundant? Maybe rings/amulets/enchantments are sufficient...? I've read that mage characters are underpowered, maybe something like this can help flesh out a more powerful, but balanced, mage character as well as the others?

I like this idea, but worry that it just creates an overpowered character in the end. Maybe if the enemies followed a different difficulty curve as you leveled up?

YES YES YES I WANT IT !

thats exactly one mod i want ... just like diablo ( i love it! ) EXCEPT

there is higher limits i believe (like 50 slots, not 3) ... but its weak

like add a normal ruby to a sword and it adds like +1 fire damage , flawless ruby adds +2 or 3 .... BUT ... you can add like... max of 50 gems to a weapon? (+50 fire dmg not that overpowered... i guess.. 20 slots cause flawless gives 2 or 3... )

so u can mix it up ... and all the gems do different effects.

(like 20 rubys for 20 fire ... and then 10 some rune? or a gem for +10 magicka points ... then 5 and 5 of something or even 50 different effects... would rock)

and some runes or some item is really rare and adds +7 to something... but its so rare

enchanting doesnt have to be the only way....

... i just hate to see.... when i find a gem in the game i always think SWEET! A GEM! like its super treasure... but... it doesnt feel that way at all as it is now.

too much like other games? sooo what? lool i want it!! :D :D

i know maybe youd want ... 5 slots or 3 slots for gems...

but i love to have a sword and keep if for a loonng time... i wanna keep upgrading it instead of keep switching swords u know.

===

maybe even have some smelting like smelt 5 rubys into a ruby essence that goes on the sword... or to make it into a flawless ruby

or i suppose u would forge the sword with the rubys ... i wonder how easy using the forging method this all would be to mod in... hmm

maybe even have a new workbench variant... =Jewelers Bench =... and u use that to place gems on the sword

or hey.. like diablo 2 had gems... and then had jewels... you take gem + gold ingot = Jewel... or moonstone ingot... dwemer etc... and its new effects... or more powerful effects.

++

it would have options like to upgrade a sword... but it has a list like alchemy with all the effects... and they are all greyed unless u have the right stuff... and theres tons of options. :D

In Oblivion there was a similar system with oblivion gates stones. This system can be used to give weapons some unique or powerful enchantment after finishing a quest or dungeon.

YES!! i loved that! ... and there was a mod that used that mechanic, and added "runeskulls" that did the same thing and it was sweet, cause theyd spawn where gems spawn... usually u find weak "sell that junk ones" but then ud find UBER BADASS rare +50 fire damage one ... was a sweet mod, makes checking all those locked chests feel so much cooler

Edited by CaoMengde777