Nothing's different...Unwavering Vanilla?

StarStrider1

Okay guys, maybe today hates me or something, but... I went through the S.T.E.P. mod guide and, using the Nexus Mod Manager, installed a lot of the mods recommended. I went through and changed settings just as the guide described, and should have otherwise followed things to a "t," except that when I go to run Skyrim, NOTHING'S DIFFERENT. I know I have the pluggins checked in NMM, and I launched Skyrim from NMM, but still, I can't find any evidence that Skyrim is registering any mods at all.

And yes, I have a powerful enough rig, though I'm not experiencing any crashes or glitches, just unwavering vanilla.

I really, really shouldn't be inept at this, since I used mods for both my Morrowind and Oblivion games back in the day (and even installed those manually, rather than through a manager), so I have no clue what's going on. I'm hoping I'm just thoroughly blind and missing some tiny thing completely and you guys can head-slap me and roll your eyes, but I've already restored my Skyrim root folder to vanilla, re-installed everything for the second time, and gotten the same results, so something's gotta give. For now I'm just going to revert to vanilla data files (again) so I can at least play without worrying about affecting anything in the meantime.

Yes, and the time I did it that way I couldn't get the launcher to recognize the blacksmith pluggin files to add them to the active data files list. I also think things were screwy then, too, because the post-process injector was obviously not working, nor was the map mod. Maybe I need to hold its hand. XD

Sounds like you've got yourself a Windows UAC infestation. Are you running Vista/7 and is Steam installed in the default (C:\Program Files\) location?

If so, I recommend moving Steam to somewhere outside of UAC's control (C\Games\ is common) and reinstalling Skyrim, loosely following Bben's Oblivion Reinstall Procedure. The bit about cleaning the registry and rebooting after you've uninstalled it is key. And if you'd like to keep your mods and saved games, information on that can be found there as well. Additionally, Revo Uninstaller is also helpful during this process as, if you uninstall Skyrim through it, it will automatically scan for left behind registry entries and ask if you'd like to delete them.

Edited by MShoap13

Sorry, reread the thread and realised you probably done this, should remember not to give advice late at night.

Might be that you haven't enabled data files in skyrimpref.ini.

1. navigate to My Documents/My games/SkyrimPrefs,ini and open it in notepad.

2. Find [Launcher] and write bEnableFileSelection=1 at the bottom

It should look like this:

[Launcher]

bShowAllResolutions=1

uLastAspectRatio=4

bEnableFileSelection=1

You'll notice in the launcher you can open the Data FIles option now, therefore NNM can also load the files. Hope that was the problem.

Edited by Captainmidnight