Sound card

mat1

Reading peoples profile pages I notice a lot of people seem to have sound cards.

What are peoples opinions on these? is it worth the extra money? does it make a difference? do you need a high end speaker set up to have any real impact? I don't think I've ever used one since the days of the "sound-blaster pro" on my 386....

EDIT: I just realised my answer to this would be " well that depends on your MB" so to placate the techno boffins please see attached for the most detailed hardware report I know how to generate.

It does make a difference, sure, but not enough difference over most on-board sound cards. I mean, so long as you have a good pair of speakers (or headphones are even better), and they're positioned right (same distance and direction from where you sit at your PC) then stereo is absolutely fine, especially if the software doing the sound does it well. It can easily make sounds seem like they're coming from behind or in front of you or wherever.

So, while a proper sound card is an improvement, it's not really a good enough improvement to warrant the often hefty price tag, especially when you consider the cost of a set of speakers/headphones good enough for you to even notice the difference.

Archived