Realistic Transportation

Sukhonali

I always thought that the transportation in oblivion and skyrim was really lame and unrealistic because the game just zaps you in front of the city you chose from the menu, i always hoped for some realistic transportation that will literally carry you into the destination while you sit back and enjoy the scenery while the wagon reaches its destination just like in the beginning of the game when you are transported to Helgen. this will make the experience more realistic and would make you appreciate all the scenery and all the hardly worked on mods without the need to put half of your concentration piloting your character towards the destination.

Please share your thoughts and ideas :-)

I was so hoping that this is how it was going to be..

I sat back after hopping in the back, and waited for it to go..

But suddenly just teleported there :/

I'm thankful it took me straight to an undiscovered city, but still.. I expected much more..

I guess this would make it rather difficult, bandits/dragons.. but that would add a dynamic aspect. You could pay for 'caravan guards' or defend the wagon yourself. If the driver dies.. then you could drive it yourself, and then you'd have to wait a few days for a new driver to be found.

During fights the driver would just leave the wagon and hide and then return to the wagon after the fighting stops, and i was hoping that npcs would use the wagon for transportation and followers too so if by any chance a dragon flew and started causing havoc there will be backup on the side or two stationary bodyguards on the wagon for protection, but i would go with random npcs traveling with you on the wagon it makes it more interesting.

The wagon is just a break in story. If you talk to the NPCs they all talk about how its almost impossible to get goods in and out during this Civil/Dragon War. The ONLY reason they are there is to make it easy to get to a city you've never been to before.

They should just get rid of them, add it to the list of things for a Hardcore Mod =D

This will more than likely be implemented later on. There's a mod for Morrowind that does the same thing with silt striders and boats. You can actually sit and be carried to your destination, enjoying the scenery on the way, or just skip and go directly there. It's very cool and adds a whole lot to the immersion.

I don't think that you should be forced to watch the whole travel, I mean going from Riften to Solitude ... that would take a bit, so I am totaly in favor of a skip function.

But I agree with the other ideas, Traveling should hurt ... like really hurt. Today it is 50 gold ... I can make more by killing 1 or 2 bandits so it isn't hurting me at all, I mean at low level it should be almost impossible to travel and only if you really safe up your money(or walk). Also Traveling is too safe, random dragon attack, a giant stepping on the wagon or bandits trying to rob you, just random encounters, some leaving you in the middle of nowhere, some let you continue your travel would make it more interesting. The idea of having paypal protection against that is good too, although it shouldn't be a 100% protection.

I also had the idea of perhaps letting the courtmages teleport you from court to court, for a hefty price and a soul gem, making it even more expensive, but safe and instant. Then perhaps some transportation options like defending a caravane, letting you get paid for traveling but you don't get to choose where you go and you will surely get attacked. Perhaps the same for the thieves guild, protecting smuggling caravanes against dragons, bandits and guards.

Just some random ideas about how it could be done in a more immersive way.

But I think most of all we need a mod that fixes the economy, at the moment you are making war too much far too quick, making travel far too cheap. But a mod that makes traveling more immersive + one that fixes economy would be very sweet.