Power Armor Modeling Workflow

Danneyo

Something that might help to understand how the weights are painted would be to throw one of the vanilla PA parts into Outfit Studio and look at it from the weight paint view. And as was previously stated, it's a full weight of 1.

There is some complexity in the cutting up of the mesh to handle the opening/exit animations. I can only suggest looking at the structure of the vanilla nif's for that. Lots of transform controllers to handle hinging parts. If you want to support that, you'll likely have to do lots of copy+paste in NifSkope after your modeling and export process is completed.

OK, you need to do more of these.

Seriously, there are no good tutorials for fallout things in Blender. I STILL haven't completely figured out how to prep my finished clothing models for import into the game (Although I believe there is a tutorial for general importing clothing through Outfit Studio?).

Besides that, great tutorial man. Really helpful.

Hmm. Somewhat related: i'm attempting to modify and add NewerMind43's Midwestern BoS Power Armor to a level list, then the level list to a Power Armor Furniture, and then to an NPC/Companion. However, no matter what I try, I go in game and it stays at the regular BoS armor. I first attempted to copy an existing power armor, then modify it with the new model, but that didn't work. Then I stripped out all keywords involving modifying the part, and that didn't work. Finally, I made new armor data entirely just with the keywords, model, and damage resistance info, and it still didn't work.

P.S. I received his permission before using his mod.

Edited by Danneyo

hmm did you follow a tutorial on how to set it up in the cs. If so which one? (Can you link me?) I would assume power armour can beset up the same way as normal armour. But as I've not actually set up PA yet it could be different.

also what do you specifically mean by "it doesn't work?" Does it crash the cs or show up invisible or what exactly? Gimmie all the info bro.

Edited by Guest

hmm did you follow a tutorial on how to set it up in the cs. If so which one? (Can you link me?) I would assume power armour can beset up the same way as normal armour. But as I've not actually set up PA yet it could be different.Â

also what do you specifically mean by "it doesn't work?" Does it crash the cs or show up invisible or what exactly? Gimmie all the info bro.

Here's the tutorial: https://youtu.be/n51g6VMPkJQ

Normally, I'd just make it an outfit. But power armor is handled through a modified furniture piece.

Ah, sorry. Essentially, it keeps reverting to a normal BoS power armor part, even when I made the actual armor reference from scratch.