Power Armor Modeling Workflow

Danneyo

Hmm. Somewhat related: i'm attempting to modify and add NewerMind43's Midwestern BoS Power Armor to a level list, then the level list to a Power Armor Furniture, and then to an NPC/Companion. However, no matter what I try, I go in game and it stays at the regular BoS armor. I first attempted to copy an existing power armor, then modify it with the new model, but that didn't work. Then I stripped out all keywords involving modifying the part, and that didn't work. Finally, I made new armor data entirely just with the keywords, model, and damage resistance info, and it still didn't work.

P.S. I received his permission before using his mod.

I got lost. Is the Midwestern BoS thing a frame or equippable armor pieces like the regular BoS pieces? If frame, things get complicated quickly. If it's just topical armor pieces I'm not sure where you are encountering the problem. Adding them to a PA furniture that will just be standing around requires having a dedicated leveled list containing only the items you want. For that scenario you can look at vanilla samples. Try:

LL_Armor_Power_T51_Set [LVLI:0022BF5B] which links to lists for each part, which then link to leveled items. That's to spawn a furniture with T51 but of different "quality" based on your level. If you just want 1 style regardless of level then you can just make one leveled item list with each part and tell it to use all.

When you said "I go in game and it stays at the regular BoS armor," does this mean you had an NPC equipped with BoS armor and are expecting it to suddenly change when you enabled your mod? This will only happen with replacers that replace existing items. Adding to leveled lists or a npc/companion outfit will not affect npc's that are already spawned. The same could be said for power armors as well. If you walked by one (even if you didn't see it, but it was in a nearby cell causing it to spawn), even if you leveled up and then went back it would have the lower level armor on it. Regarding the NPC's again, you would either have to use console commands to add the items and equip them. There are ways to force NPC's to respawn but that can and usually does break many things, specifically any quests involving the NPC.

Hmm. Somewhat related: i'm attempting to modify and add NewerMind43's Midwestern BoS Power Armor to a level list, then the level list to a Power Armor Furniture, and then to an NPC/Companion. However, no matter what I try, I go in game and it stays at the regular BoS armor. I first attempted to copy an existing power armor, then modify it with the new model, but that didn't work. Then I stripped out all keywords involving modifying the part, and that didn't work. Finally, I made new armor data entirely just with the keywords, model, and damage resistance info, and it still didn't work.

Â

Â

I got lost. Is the Midwestern BoS thing a frame or equippable armor pieces like the regular BoS pieces? If frame, things get complicated quickly. If it's just topical armor pieces I'm not sure where you are encountering the problem. Adding them to a PA furniture that will just be standing around requires having a dedicated leveled list containing only the items you want. For that scenario you can look at vanilla samples. Try:

LL_Armor_Power_T51_Set [LVLI:0022BF5B] which links to lists for each part, which then link to leveled items. That's to spawn a furniture with T51 but of different "quality" based on your level. If you just want 1 style regardless of level then you can just make one leveled item list with each part and tell it to use all.

Â

When you said "I go in game and it stays at the regular BoS armor," does this mean you had an NPC equipped with BoS armor and are expecting it to suddenly change when you enabled your mod? This will only happen with replacers that replace existing items. Adding to leveled lists or a npc/companion outfit will not affect npc's that are already spawned. The same could be said for power armors as well. If you walked by one (even if you didn't see it, but it was in a nearby cell causing it to spawn), even if you leveled up and then went back it would have the lower level armor on it. Regarding the NPC's again, you would either have to use console commands to add the items and equip them. There are ways to force NPC's to respawn but that can and usually does break many things, specifically any quests involving the NPC.

Ah, my fault. I'm beginning to realize I didn't explain it very well.

The Midwest BoS set is equippable power armor that I put into a leveled list and then into a PA furniture connected to my NPC. I did select in the leveled list for it to use all every time.

The mod adds the NPC in question to the game. However, when I go to him, he's wearing a t-variant and not the armor I put in the leveled list. I'm not sure if the save I'm using is one where I already met him to check if the PA spawned at all before, so it's possible its not spawning due to that. I'll try force respawning him and seeing what happend.

Â

Â

Â

Ah, my fault. I'm beginning to realize I didn't explain it very well.

The Midwest BoS set is equippable power armor that I put into a leveled list and then into a PA furniture connected to my NPC. I did select in the leveled list for it to use all every time.

The mod adds the NPC in question to the game. However, when I go to him, he's wearing a t-variant and not the armor I put in the leveled list. I'm not sure if the save I'm using is one where I already met him to check if the PA spawned at all before, so it's possible its not spawning due to that. I'll try force respawning him and seeing what happend.

If you had console access you could just load into QASmoke from the main menu and spawn it. Removing any potential issue of the NPC / Armor already being spawned.