Realism mod request

ita44

• 2 weeks later...

The big thing I agree with is the cold weather. While it is true that parts of Skyrim are in areas wear regular clothes would be warm enough (especially the hot-springs area by Riften), areas like the north coast, Dawnstar, Throat of the World, the mountains around Azura's Shrine, etc. are obviously frigidly cold. Especially in bad weather. I'm no modder, so I don't know what can and can't be done, but here's my best guess at how it would work.

Outdoor cells would have a temperature property assigned between one and ten, ten being the coldest (I don't think there is any place actually warm, per se, so no zero). Each weather type would have a similar score, possible zero through twenty, to represent the wider range of temperatures and wind chill. At night the score doubles, and in the water it triples (every time I swim in the north sea during a blizzard and nothing bad happens a little part of my immersion dies permanently). Take the resulting score: that number is how much HP and/or Stamina you are losing per minute from exposure (probably good to make the and/or part an installation option).

Then you assign different items an insulation score, with leather, furs, and glass being high (glass is an excellent insulator, a trait more realistic than it's suitability for impact resistance) and metal armors being very low. (Simple frost resistance could be used to augment, or perhaps even be used in place of, this insulation score.) Subtract that from the total from the above to get the final amount of HP/Stamina drain per minute, if any.

So in summary:

[[CellTemp(1-10) + WeatherTemp(0-20)] x IsDay/IsNight(1/2) x IsNotSwimming/IsSwimming(1/3)] - [insulationHead + InsBody + InsHand + etc. etc.] = HP and/or Stamina loss per minute (if >0)

I'd love to see this, and feel free to use or adjust the fomula if it is at all helpful. Just let me know if you do, I'd like to know I've contributed to the community that has provided all these great mods. I'd also be happy to figure out or assign cell/weather temperatures or insulation values, I just don't know much about the implementation end of things