Vanilla houses are GARBAGE

lordandromeda

So, Been playing Skyrim for a while. Level 40 something, and I've amassed a pretty large collection of stuff. Something like 130 dragon bones, 95+ scales etc. In total I have about 6k pounds in stuff, and if it weren't for godmode letting you fast travel I'd be screwed.

I've been using the Windhelm house which really isn't bad, but then recently I bought the one in Solitude. I thought "Hey, 25 grand is the highest price yet, surely it's a better house." I was so so very wrong. The storage space is terrible, there's one LESS mannequin than in WH, and honestly, it's pretty ugly inside.

This of course leads me to the disappointing conclusion that the WH house is the best one available. Why does it disappoint me? I kind of looted EVERYTHING from my WH house when I moved my gear, and trashed it in some fairly lame ways. Sure I could just pick up the stuff on the floor, but that wont change that every single decorative item (food, ingredients etc) have been removed, and for some reason Bethsoft NEEDED to make moving items WAY more bothersome in TESV. Even if I bothered spending 1-2 hours replacing everything it would never look the same, and this has left me feeling... a little discouraged.

I looked on the nexus site for skyrim and there's nothing in Palaces/Mansions/Estates yet, which I suppose is understandable giving the age of the game, but nevertheless.

Is there anyone who shares me cynical disappointment in the homes? Maybe someone who doesn't suck as bad in the editors as I have, who's planing a nice beautiful home? I don't care WHERE it is. Even if it's tucked into some crack in the wall near a useless down like Falkreath, I just want something.... nice.

Maybe a nice sized armory... 6+ mannequins (I really like making each set of high-end armor and displaying them all) and an equally over-the-top number of weapon racks, A few dozen or something within the house. I couldn't care less about a kitchen but it is a nice aesthetic. But what really matters to me is a library. The bookshelves are SUCH a cool idea, yet they barely make use of them at all! I get maybe 4-6 bookshelves in even the largest homes, and that's barely enough for a third of the books I've amassed as I travel. I try to collect 1 of every book, just for the sake of doing so.

An Alchemy/Enchanting area could be inside the library, or even in a hidden place like with the WH house. I always loved the secret door idea, but it was way too hard for me to understand back in Morrowind. For those who don't know the reference, the world editor for TESIII had a tutorial that taught you a form of hidden-entryway making, but for some reason it was always beyond me. I could NEVER make that freakin bottle of skooma open the door.

I don;t even care if the armory is on it's own insanely convoluted basement floor that you have to do crazy stuff to get into, whatever makes the one designing it happy really.

But until someone does go and make a godlike house with glorious furnishings and enough weapon racks and cases (preferably not BUGGED ONES like in the WH bedroom) so I can store all my daedric gear and other choice items, I'm not even sure I can will myself to play anymore. I load up the game, notice I have 5500 pounds of crap on me, and immediately get depressed. Reminds me of how depressed I got in World of Warcraft whenever I logged in only to see that disgusting zone "Silithus" Just remembering the name almost makes me gag.

So... um... yeah. I can't offer much as far as world-editor skillz are concerned, but if someone making such a glorious thing has any ideas of what I COULD do as a thank-you for the if and when of a finished home, I would be glad to help. Even if all that means is a dedicated friend to play payday: the heist with or something. Or.... someone to pwn in SC2 or something (I barely ever play proper ladder games so I'm nothing like I was in SC1, but I still enjoy myself) I'd be glad to be a videogame minion.

Otherwise, I offer my undying adoration and worship of anyone who makes a house that meets my needs, and I expect there are thousands of people who will be right there beside me praying to you like some sort of nerdly mecca.

I hate using godmode, and I love just enjoying games as they were intended, but bethsoft really seems to have dropped the ball on areas of Skyrim that are VERY important to me. But you guys can't fix the random desire for a dragon to run like a scared little girl, or make it so the most illogical thing of all, THE VOICE OF A DRAGONBORN being blocked by a simple ward spell, makes more sense, but even still. A nice house. That would make my preparations to ride Odahviig much easier. (plan is to finish my enchanting training with the last 2 level points I need for what I want, and then make the best dragon-slaying gear I can come up with.)

Until then.... I'll be playing Skyward Sword. Maybe a little AC:R.

I can guarantee you that within a week of the CK being released, the houses category will be flooded with new entries, some of them trash, some of them alright and a small few godlike. Personally, a new house is going to be the first thing I make when the CK comes out even though Ive never touched one before. :confused: But yes, just patience in the mean time and soon you shall have all your homely dreams come true. :thumbsup:

I can guarantee you that within a week of the CK being released, the houses category will be flooded with new entries, some of them trash, some of them alright and a small few godlike. Personally, a new house is going to be the first thing I make when the CK comes out even though Ive never touched one before. :confused: But yes, just patience in the mean time and soon you shall have all your homely dreams come true. :thumbsup:

From the very depths of my soul, I hope you're right.

The only player house i've seen so far is the one in Whiterun, which I must say is very disappointing. Even with all the upgrades it's still very shabby, even though you're the Thane of Whiterun! (the upper floor still has gaps and broken floorboards.)

The only player house i've seen so far is the one in Whiterun, which I must say is very disappointing. Even with all the upgrades it's still very shabby, even though you're the Thane of Whiterun! (the upper floor still has gaps and broken floorboards.)

As long as you don't screw it up the way I did, you'll love the windhelm house. Fairly large, 3 mannequins, some nice weapon racks, and it's not VERY ugly.

It's just not "enough" if you know what I'm saying.

I'd be THRILLED if I stumbled upon a vanilla quest to buy a castle for like 500k, even if it took me an in-game YEAR to save the cash.

Until then, I guess all I can do is wait and hope.

Indeed, many new houses are going to be released after the CS comes out. I'm already planning several houses, one each for Falkreath, Dawnstar, Winterhold, the other small one near the swamp whose name eludes me and Riverwood.

As well as these I'm going to make my own, which will be a large house in the middle of the snowy mountains of nowhere, with nice views over Skyrim. It's going to have a story and adventure attached, if possible, a new Dragon Shout, teleport to house spells, edited armor (such as light iron helmet, boots and gauntlets, heavy hide armor, so we can look like awesome without sacrificing armour or sneakiness) Hopefully I will be adding trousers and taking off the skirts of Leather, Hide and Fur armors, making those a seperate armor.

This is going to be quite a bit of effort actually @_@ Still, I'm more than eager and the finished house may end up with more than this! :D

Redfin aka Greivan2

Indeed, many new houses are going to be released after the CS comes out. I'm already planning several houses, one each for Falkreath, Dawnstar, Winterhold, the other small one near the swamp whose name eludes me and Riverwood.

As well as these I'm going to make my own, which will be a large house in the middle of the snowy mountains of nowhere, with nice views over Skyrim. It's going to have a story and adventure attached, if possible, a new Dragon Shout, teleport to house spells, edited armor (such as light iron helmet, boots and gauntlets, heavy hide armor, so we can look like awesome without sacrificing armour or sneakiness) Hopefully I will be adding trousers and taking off the skirts of Leather, Hide and Fur armors, making those a seperate armor.

This is going to be quite a bit of effort actually @_@ Still, I'm more than eager and the finished house may end up with more than this! :D

Redfin aka Greivan2

Intense. I donno if the setting is exactly what you want, but there's a burnt out house that has always interested me along a path southeast of Riften (the swamp town you likely forgot the name of) which is actually STILL on fire when you discover it.