[W.I.P] Khajiit skooma den + brothel

Psientist

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are good base textures but they definitely need more grunge to them in the final versions, perhaps if it is based in a cavern, have exotic creepers clinging to the walls, smoke stains from hearth fires and definitely a small river trickling through the cavern. I can imagine the amazing ambience now;

A haze of smooth smoke clinging to the lining of the nostrils as you enter, you take a step in and the soothing trickle of a stream at your side immediately relaxes you, the dimly lit atmosphere evokes your most sensual emotions and as you step down into the den, the sickly sweet tang of your precious skooma smacks invitingly across your palette... You leisurely drop into a lounge and call across a khajiit maid. "The usual, my lovely".... The relaxing music pulls your muscles down and you sink into the chair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRXo8cgKk0U

p.s. This song is 10x better if you start a concurrent one after two seconds :thumbsup:

Edited by TheSuey

Im just throwing ideas around man, Im really enthusiastic about thsi project for some reason and I dont mean that music exactly, Its all bout ambience, the mood and feel :rolleyes:

Hehe ok it's cool man, it's just a far throw from "arabic whorehouse" to "stoner cave with dubstep music in the background"

oh oh oh how about a fight club as well. Really need more brawling in the game and I think it would be right for the setting to have a fight club.

Get... out... of... head, Charles!

No really, house 2 floor 1 south-west corner is a hand-to-hand fighting pit. Rather close to it is the cooking cage.

So far I don't really plan on any quests or even NPC interaction (Although I have a few concept in my head) because just making the graphics and models will probably take around half a year.

Also a question to anyone who've worked a bit with graphics before: Do you think it would work well if I made the texture simply not tile around the edges and then just slap it onto each surface of the pillar? If I'm not screwing up too much I've estimated that the size of the blocks means only 1/3 of the texture will be used on each pillar. My headache about it is that they would still need to connect at the edges which does not work well at all with an asymmetrical pattern.

Hell I'll probably spend all day making another 5 versions of this texture until something fits.

As someone pointed out in the previous page there's many vertical lines, but there has to be seams at the edges otherwise it looks completely unnatural.

Not that I'm saying it does look natural right now, but I just need some goddamn seams ok? :P

http://i.imgur.com/rvMwV.jpg

Going to try something similar to that texture but see if I can mess around to remove the horizontal seams or at least make them less obvious, but keeping the vertical ones.

Edited by Psientist

Also a question to anyone who've worked a bit with graphics before: Do you think it would work well if I made the texture simply not tile around the edges and then just slap it onto each surface of the pillar? If I'm not screwing up too much I've estimated that the size of the blocks means only 1/3 of the texture will be used on each pillar. My headache about it is that they would still need to connect at the edges which does not work well at all with an asymmetrical pattern.

Hell I'll probably spend all day making another 5 versions of this texture until something fits.

Im no professional on texturing by any means but with a little tweaking, im sure the tesselation effect could be 'blended' out by using an overlay of sorts such as this Cracked wall texture.

Also, by creating a broken patter in the wall texture, it would appear much less rigid and realistic i suppose

Sandstone Wall

This also, A pillar model could work interestingly.

And lastly, to add some more realism to the walls, this Worn effect could be added to break it up and create depth instead of just having a matte texture the whole way round.

Btw, this is the sort of 'ambient' lighting Id imagine Ambience

Edit, it is looking very promising already and by no means do i mean to force any ideas on you, Im just chuckign them out there because i dont have the whole picture of what youre aiming for :laugh:

Edited by TheSuey

Do you think it would work well if I made the texture simply not tile around the edges and then just slap it onto each surface of the pillar?

Both works, and depend how unique you want it. Is this a generic pillar? Is it a model that is the focus of a scene? If it is simply generic, then just use 1 tilable texture than is tiled on each side. If this is more unique, unwrap it and get a unique texture for each side, breaking it up and all.

My headache about it is that they would still need to connect at the edges which does not work well at all with an asymmetrical pattern.

Make the texture a 100% tilable, and it should go good. At worse you might need to tweak it slightly. Simply put: Make the edges symmetrical in a no-obvious way, and make it fit with the corner of the pillar.

but there has to be seams at the edges otherwise it looks completely unnatural.

But the seams doesn't have to line up perfectly :) I doubt the guys making this had the right tools to get it 100% 90 deegrees vertical. Some variation here and there is always there, even today.

I'd also agree that some cracks would be good. Chip out some obvious parts, like the corners, of some stones. Make each look individual. Make it look logical!

And add a Normal map and an Specularity. It looks daft as of now.

But it's getting somewhere! Get some realism and depth into it, and it should be good.