Savage 2, RTS + RPG + FPS in one!

Darkreaver1980

hi there,

i played savage 1, didnt liked it that much (it was still good) and noticed that savage 2 just launched some days ago and buyed it assap and i can tell it was one of the best buys ever.

Savage 2 is a RTS, FPS and RPG in one, they allmost perfected the gameplay. There are 2 teams, beast and humans. each team has a commander which is able to build buildings like sublairs (spawnpoints) towers for defense, gold mines for income, tech buildings like armory and so on, while other players try to destroy the mainbuilding of the oposite team.

the commander gets gold by capturing gold mines. people earn gold and experience by doing different things, like repairing stuff, helping to construct buldings, defeating npc (just like in world of warcraft).

The game is very much based on teamwork, you cant do much against a full base, covered with turrets, magic shield and so on. the commander is also able to give every player in his team orders, there are also squadleaders which can give orders to its members. The best thing in the game is the meele combat system. it takes alot of skill to fight good. you can swing, block and interrupt and a good player will have no trouble to kill a new one. ranged weapons do only minor damage, to reward melee combat even more. only 3 of the weakest classes are allways aviable. if you want a to be a priest, than the human commander has to build a monastry for example. you could even donate gold to the commander so he can build stuff more quickly. the most powerfull classes will also cost you gold, which you get by damage done to other players or by killing them. you can also buy stuff like healing potions, mana potions, chainmail for more protection etc.

there are 7 different classes per side, so thats 14 unique classes total +2 uber strong hellborn units. the view switches automaticaly to 3. person view when you do meele attacks and to 1. person view (just like in every FPS) if you use a ranged weapon, here are a few examples of the different classes:

beast shapeshifter: very fast, able to shapeshift in a leopard for faster running or into any human player which you see. with this abbility you can cause big chaos in the enemy team. shapeshifter are also able to call thunderstrikes down and to spit acid on the enemy to block its vision (screen is full of green stuff)

human scout: very fast, expert with marksman bow...takes 3-4 seconds to draw the bow with full power...very high damage and accuraty, even at long distances...he is decent in meele combat. Abiliy to go invisible and to backstab players + laying down demolition charges

beast summoner: able to summon different creatures to fight along your side. he is also good in meele and ranged, drawback is the livelink to its pet... he will take damage if the pet does. abbility to heal its pet

human chaplar: Priest unit, able to heal and revive fallen humans, very good in defense, carrys a shield and a staff for meele combat. very good ranged attack

beast behemot: Siege unit, he is about 15 times larger, has 10 times more health than the average human unit and whields a huge tree to crush enemy buildings

human steam catapult: Human Siege unit, uses steam powered machines to opeate its catapult mechanism to launch big stones at enemy buildings. ability to launch a flamming rock every 20 seconds.

hellborn demons: for each kill, you get a soul...at a hellshrine (commander has to build it) you can exchange the souls to play one time a realy strong demon...for 5 souls you can get the revenant or for 15 the hellish lord maphisto. its not uncommon that the wohle enemy team flees after seein maphisto comming

Keep in mind that the game is 100% twitch based, not click&wait like world of warcraft. you aim, shot...evade,meele, cast, heal, repair and build in real time!

The game only costs 30 US$, no monthly fee...great dev support and lots of peoples playing it. The best feature is the replay vault, every game you do is recorded, for all players! you can download each replay with 2 clicks. the replay viewer has the option to jump to every player, to fast forward and rewind.

you can also view your persistent stats, see your skill factor (based on death to kill radius multiplied per experience per minute) and the last 50 games you played + download link to the replay. here take a look at the stats page: http://savage2.s2games.com/player_stats.php. to find mine, type in "Darkreaver1980". you can also view all games i have played, its a realy good feature

the visuals are realy well done, sharp textures and superb animations! the physics are impressive when you destroy buildings. a guard tower will collaps in like 50 pieces after its hit by siege catapult.

i realy recommend it, its a very good and unique game. look at its side:

click here to get a free demo account

select "pay later" to get the free 5 hour demo, but you cant take commander or any hellborne unit, stats are disabled and you cant use persistent items. you can download the client anytime from the savage 2 site, for free of course.

Feel free to add me as your buddy, im glad if i can show you the game and teach you how to fight proberly. im "Darkreaver1980" there

http://darkreaver1980.m5t.de/CHUCK_NORRIS.gif

It sounds like the sort of game that's good if you have a decent team, but horrible if you don't.

P.S. Please, don't embed 2MB+ images in your posts...

yes thats true. you can still do alot alone and realy help your team out but in the end a good team will allways win against some rambo type players :).

whats wrong with the image? its even on a own webserver so i have to carry the traffic :)

hmmmm............

I remember I bit of conversation from elsewhere, when the possiblilty of sieges in oblivion was being discussed.....ah here it is:

ninja_lord666:

QUOTE(Marcus Wolfe @ May 12 2007, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, sieges aren't hard to find in the RTS world. When I play AOE III Warchiefs, ramming my opponent's base (with rams) while shelling it with canon fire with my Tomahawk warriors killing everything in sight always seems to be a fitting end. But sometimes, I want to be that Tomahawk warrior killing people, or the ram or the canon. I want to be a participant in the siege, not just the co-ordinator of it. I hear there's an RTS by the name of Warfront: Turning Point that lets you do something like that. I can jump into the turret of a tank or something and go all FPS for more damage. I guess I should stop asking for sieges in Oblivion and just buy Warfront.

Yes, sometimes I wish I could be the strategist AND the soldier...Also, other could games are Stronghold, Stronghold: Crusader, and Stronghold 2. The basis of the game is sieges. I should check out that Warfront...

Hmm... I played the original of this, for Linux, and tbh it wasn't very good- a great idea, but not very well executed IMO. For the individual soldiers, it just felt like Dynasty Warriors only with worse graphics, and as theres only 2 commanders in each battle, for the majority of players, thats all you're gonna get. Maybe Savage 2 is better, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm... I played the original of this, for Linux, and tbh it wasn't very good- a great idea, but not very well executed IMO. For the individual soldiers, it just felt like Dynasty Warriors only with worse graphics, and as theres only 2 commanders in each battle, for the majority of players, thats all you're gonna get. Maybe Savage 2 is better, though.

I thought the same thing when I tested the demo of the first one.

But perhaps they've fixed all that, and the game's actually worth playing. The graphics ain't that bad either.

Damn, Darkreaver. You almost convinced me buying it. And the fact that Lord Chuck Norris (blessed be His name) approves of it, makes things worse. :biggrin:

Archived